Quitting Sugar - any success stories out there

Options
12346»

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you can go 'cold turkey' on taking sugar out of your diet. I cut my sugar in my coffee from one heaping TBS of sugar down to 1Tsp of sugar; but, I had to do it slowly. Most everything has some sugar in it; I count calories and not what is in a food. My granddaughter counts her sugars, carbs, sodium, etc., and I think that would be harder and maybe it would cause you to gain weight or be tired and figuring how to get them in during a day. She's put on the 'Freshman 15+" and I think it is because of how she counts things she eats. I enjoy something sweet most days and I get a Klondike Bar with 100 calories in it and it is 9 grams of sugar. A friend says that the ice cream sandwiches with 100 calories a day are good. She asked if I had ever made mine before using Graham crackers and low fat cool whip and freezing them. I don't know how much the homemade sandwiches would have calories and sugars in it; but, I am going to look it up today.
  • lindseydodd408
    lindseydodd408 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am drastically reducing the sugar I eat and noticed much less energy this week for exercise. I would say I'm more tired than normal. Drinking about 60 ounces of water a day and my calorie limit is 1270. Barely made a two mile walk this evening and would like to hear from others who have quit sugar. When does the energy level return? Maybe I'm just tired from fighting the urge to dive into the ice cream lol!!

I quit sugar and refined carbohydrates 2 years ago. The first two weeks were the worst! I didn't exercise as the advice I'd read recommended that you give your body a few weeks to get used to using fat as it's energy source. Make sure you are replacing the sugar and carbs with fat. After a month I was back at the gym with improved energy levels. Keep going!!! If you are like me this will be the most liberating food decision that you have ever made. I have not had an emotional food binge in two years, food no longer controls me! Good luck!