I seem to be short on protein

Options
CM_73
CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
Just worked out the protein content of the "my foods" added, they only amount to about 23g of protein. MFP has set my target at 188g, so I seem to be fairly consistently around 100g under my target per day.
I'm 5' 11" with a target weight (estimated) of 196lbs and reasonably active. (I cycle an average of 60 miles a week and resistance train with light weights 3 times/week)
I eat a mainly vegan diet, so it's not particularly easy to top up protein levels without avoiding a large number of calories.
Should I add a plant based protein powder to my diet?

Replies

• coryrood
    coryrood Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Uh yea.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    In my opinion that's a lot more Protein than you really need. I'm a Vegan I normally hit around 100g with little problem I do use a Protein powder but more for convenience than need.

You may find this link useful from No meat athlete
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer/
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    188 grams of protein is a bit high for the target weight you entered. Do you weigh a lot more then that right now? The best way to determine how much protein to aim for daily is to figure out the math for one gram of protein per pound of muscle mass you have. So if you were at your ideal weight that you mentioned the math would look like this. 196- body fat percentage = Amount of protein you should shoot for daily.
  • CM_73
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    In my opinion that's a lot more Protein than you really need. I'm a Vegan I normally hit around 100g with little problem I do use a Protein powder but more for convenience than need.

You may find this link useful from No meat athlete
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein-primer/

Brilliant, thanks for that, I've bookmarked that page.
    So, according to the guide, 0.8g protein X 89 Kg (estimated target weight) would put me at requiring 71g or protein, rather than 188.
    I do seem to be getting that most days. I probably just need to be a little more aware then, and make some better choices (more soya milk in place of almond etc) on some days and I should be fine.
  • Ap3Fit21
    Ap3Fit21 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It depends what your goals are bud. If its to maintain lean mass - then you really need at least 1g per pound of body weight. Definitely advise trying to supplement with 1 shake (2 scoops/ 40g or so) of protein per day, then up portion size... ie can you have greek yoghurt?

Greek yoghurt 200g with 1 scoop of whey in the morning mixed together is circa 40g protein, 10-15g fat and lowish carbs.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    IDK where that theory is derived ^ but it's absolutely false if applied to muscle building athletes. Protein is essential for muscle development and maintenance, especially when in a deficit (losing weight). .8g's per pound has been found to be effective but protein is often suggested at 1g/lb or 1.2-1.5g's/lb of LBM.
  • CM_73
    Options
    188 grams of protein is a bit high for the target weight you entered. Do you weigh a lot more then that right now? The best way to determine how much protein to aim for daily is to figure out the math for one gram of protein per pound of muscle mass you have. So if you were at your ideal weight that you mentioned the math would look like this. 196- body fat percentage = Amount of protein you should shoot for daily.

Thanks for that. I'm basing it on a target weight of 196 lbs, but that it only an estimate. My trainer reckons I should be about 15 stone (210 lbs) but I think nearer 14 is probably a bit closer to the mark. (never been that weight so have no idea)
    I'm currently at 238 lbs, with 29% fat, but that is only going by my home scales which I doubt remotely accurate.

• awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say it is one gram per pound of body weight because it is easier to calculate. It is actually one gram per pound of muscle you have on your body. You don't the extra for your body fat. Weight - body fat % = daily protein goal. For the average normal person anyway.
  • CM_73
    Options
    It depends what your goals are bud. If its to maintain lean mass - then you really need at least 1g per pound of body weight. Definitely advise trying to supplement with 1 shake (2 scoops/ 40g or so) of protein per day, then up portion size... ie can you have greek yoghurt?

Greek yoghurt 200g with 1 scoop of whey in the morning mixed together is circa 40g protein, 10-15g fat and lowish carbs.

Thanks for that. The goal really, is just to be healthy and fit. I'm naturally fairly muscular anyway, so just maintaining some of that whilst losing fat would be fine.
    I can eat what I like, I eat a mainly vegan diet, but I'm not actually vegan. It's just personal choice to fuel from plants as much as I can really.
  • CM_73
    Options
    IDK where that theory is derived ^ but it's absolutely false if applied to muscle building athletes. Protein is essential for muscle development and maintenance, especially when in a deficit (losing weight). .8g's per pound has been found to be effective but protein is often suggested at 1g/lb or 1.2-1.5g's/lb of LBM.

Thanks for your post, I'm totally not an athlete though, so not bothered about getting the maximum. I'm more concerned, really, with not getting enough to stay healthy.

• CM_73
    Options
    A lot of people say it is one gram per pound of body weight because it is easier to calculate. It is actually one gram per pound of muscle you have on your body. You don't the extra for your body fat. Weight - body fat % = daily protein goal. For the average normal person anyway.

That makes sense, it also explains the large discrepancy between the 1g/lb and 1g/kg theories!
    I didn't feel that I was short on it. I don't feel weak, and my leg muscles have grown noticeably in the last 6 Months (cycling every day) but just wanted to check.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »

Thanks for your post, I'm totally not an athlete though, so not bothered about getting the maximum. I'm more concerned, really, with not getting enough to stay healthy.

Cheers. That makes sense then. I would stick to 1g/lb of LBM (lean body mass) as mentioned above.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're choosing entries to log that have macros. You entered a salad and a wrap that both have calories but no macros listed, so you likely got more protein than you think you did.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're choosing entries to log that have macros. You entered a salad and a wrap that both have calories but no macros listed, so you likely got more protein than you think you did.
    I was just about to say the same thing.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm going to preface my post with the fact that I don't consider protein to be as important as everyone else. You should still get some, but 1g/lb rule is a little much.

Try and eat more tofu and green vegetables. They're usually high in protein.

I'm also not sure if you already know this, but if you're going vegan you may want to consider a b12 supplement.

Also I took a look at your diary just to see how much you're getting and you're not filling out some days.

• tdatsenko
    Options
    Also a lot of your entries only have calorie info on them, you may be getting more protein than you're tracking.
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    Also a lot of your entries only have calorie info on them, you may be getting more protein than you're tracking.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Thanks all, really appreciate the help.
    Just to clarify, the "my food" entries are the daily salad and avocado wrap, I have now added the protein for those so that will be in future updates.
    The reason they only have the calories against them is that there so many individual components in them that it would take too long to log. (I'm keeping it simple so that I stick to it)
    I do have the exact breakdown in weights of everything, they amount to an extra 22.5g of protein a day
  • CM_73
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    I'm going to preface my post with the fact that I don't consider protein to be as important as everyone else. You should still get some, but 1g/lb rule is a little much.

I'm also not sure if you already know this, but if you're going vegan you may want to consider a b12 supplement.

Also I took a look at your diary just to see how much you're getting and you're not filling out some days.

Thanks for that, I do supplement with B12.
    Without sparking yet another vegan row, I'm not vegan but switched to a mainly vegan diet about 6 Months ago.

All the diary entries should be filled out, although I've only been consistent for the last couple of weeks (when I started MFP again) The only entry that wasn't closed was Wednesday this week when eating out and I couldn't complete it, but there should be a note on there.
    It's quite possible I've missed something though!
  • tdatsenko
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    tdatsenko wrote: »

Thanks for that, I do supplement with B12.
    Without sparking yet another vegan row, I'm not vegan but switched to a mainly vegan diet about 6 Months ago.

All the diary entries should be filled out, although I've only been consistent for the last couple of weeks (when I started MFP again) The only entry that wasn't closed was Wednesday this week when eating out and I couldn't complete it, but there should be a note on there.
    It's quite possible I've missed something though!

Oh, sorry I saw you skipped dinner a few days and assumed you forgot.

I'm not a vegan, but I don't see anything wrong with being a vegan B)