2»

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    CM_73 wrote: »
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    I'm going to preface my post with the fact that I don't consider protein to be as important as everyone else. You should still get some, but 1g/lb rule is a little much.

Try and eat more tofu and green vegetables. They're usually high in protein.

I'm also not sure if you already know this, but if you're going vegan you may want to consider a b12 supplement.

Also I took a look at your diary just to see how much you're getting and you're not filling out some days.

Thanks for that, I do supplement with B12.
    Without sparking yet another vegan row, I'm not vegan but switched to a mainly vegan diet about 6 Months ago.

All the diary entries should be filled out, although I've only been consistent for the last couple of weeks (when I started MFP again) The only entry that wasn't closed was Wednesday this week when eating out and I couldn't complete it, but there should be a note on there.
    It's quite possible I've missed something though!

Oh, sorry I saw you skipped dinner a few days and assumed you forgot.

I'm not a vegan, but I don't see anything wrong with being a vegan B)

It does seem to get a bit confrontational on here whenever that word is mentioned! People do seem to like to pigeon-hole, and I don't fit into any group, I'm just a "me!"
    I even ate meat at a BBQ a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed it, and probably will again at some point. That's why the closest description I can give is mainly vegan. But, it really does throw people who (naturally) like to categorise. Just as I probably would have done 6 Months ago to be honest!

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Ap3Fit21 wrote: »
    It depends what your goals are bud. If its to maintain lean mass - then you really need at least 1g per pound of body weight. Definitely advise trying to supplement with 1 shake (2 scoops/ 40g or so) of protein per day, then up portion size... ie can you have greek yoghurt?

Greek yoghurt 200g with 1 scoop of whey in the morning mixed together is circa 40g protein, 10-15g fat and lowish carbs.

Uh, Wat? So I need 196 grams of protein a day? Is there any scientific basis for this?
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The cdc says men need around 56g of protein (give or take a couple). MFP has it set way too high. Unless your trying to do a high protein diet, I suggust ignoring or changing it.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, really appreciate the help.
    Just to clarify, the "my food" entries are the daily salad and avocado wrap, I have now added the protein for those so that will be in future updates.
    The reason they only have the calories against them is that there so many individual components in them that it would take too long to log. (I'm keeping it simple so that I stick to it)
    I do have the exact breakdown in weights of everything, they amount to an extra 22.5g of protein a day

One approach to this is to save all the individual components in "daily salad" and "avocado wrap" as meals. Then you simply log the meal.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nkbaar wrote: »
    The cdc says men need around 56g of protein (give or take a couple). MFP has it set way too high. Unless your trying to do a high protein diet, I suggust ignoring or changing it.

That cdc figure is not taking into account training and is suggested for sedentary individuals.

The OP is not in training. In his own words: "I'm totally not an athlete though, so not bothered about getting the maximum."

I've never seen anything from the CDC or NAS to indicate their daily recommended intake is just for sedentary individuals.

They list AMDR for protein as 10% to 35%. Where 56g falls in that range would depend on how many calories you eat.

Good CDC link on protein: http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    nkbaar wrote: »

That cdc figure is not taking into account training and is suggested for sedentary individuals.

The OP is not in training. In his own words: "I'm totally not an athlete though, so not bothered about getting the maximum."

I've never seen anything from the CDC or NAS to indicate their daily recommended intake is just for sedentary individuals.

They list AMDR for protein as 10% to 35%. Where 56g falls in that range would depend on how many calories you eat.

Good CDC link on protein: http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

From that site:

How much protein do I need?
    Maybe you've wondered how much protein you need each day. In general, it's recommended that 10–35% of your daily calories come from protein. Below are the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for different age groups.

OK...so let's work this out.

56g of protein = 224 calories

at 10% of your diet, that would be suggesting a diet of 2,240 calories/day (fairly reasonable)
    at 35% of your diet, that would be suggesting a diet of 640 calories per day

Not sure the CDC thought that one through very well...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, really appreciate the help.
    Just to clarify, the "my food" entries are the daily salad and avocado wrap, I have now added the protein for those so that will be in future updates.
    The reason they only have the calories against them is that there so many individual components in them that it would take too long to log. (I'm keeping it simple so that I stick to it)
    I do have the exact breakdown in weights of everything, they amount to an extra 22.5g of protein a day

Just a tip... try using the recipe builder for these. Enter the individual ingredients, and it will calculate the macros for you and just log the finished product in your diary.

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    0.60 to 0.82 grams per 1 lb. of bodyweight is ideal unless you compete as a professional bodybuilder and basically all you do is eat, train, compete, sleep.

Anything more for the average person is a waste. Any less, and you're probably losing muscle over the long term.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    @jddnw & @mamapeach.... Thanks for that, hadn't realised you could do that. That will be very useful for a quick log of my regular evening meals as well.