Is fitbit worth it??

Options

Replies

• Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been eyeing the Charge HR, but I'm concerned it won't be compatible with my HP Chromebook. Anyone know if it is?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nablackb wrote: »
    For my everyday use a flex would probably be best for me but I was just nervous about dropping that kind of money because some of my friends seem to be totally against things that like for some reason when I asked their opinion but they don't have the same goals that I do.

Buy it at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

My Flex was totally worth the money. It showed me my TDEE—way more accurately than any online calculator. And Fitbit challenges are great motivation.

Edited to add: Make some new friends in the Fitbit Users group! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Jaxxie1181 wrote: »
    I've been eyeing the Charge HR, but I'm concerned it won't be compatible with my HP Chromebook. Anyone know if it is?

I don't think so. These are the supported devices: https://www.fitbit.com/devices
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fitbit charge hr is the bee's knees. I've personally been waiting for fitbit to come out with a continuous heart rate watch that wasn't extremely expensive (i saw the mio alpha but at the time it was $250). If you just need the pedometer feature go with a cheaper model like others suggested; if you are like me where alot of your exercising isn't distance based then definitely charge hr or the surge. Pretty accurate and love how it adjusts my daily calories allowance on the MFP app via app sync.
  • jw151981
    jw151981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok i was wondering about the fit bit charge hr. I think i am going to pick one up after reading all the good comments.

Does anybody have any discomfort wearing it?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    jw151981 wrote: »
    Ok i was wondering about the fit bit charge hr. I think i am going to pick one up after reading all the good comments.

Does anybody have any discomfort wearing it?

Nope. I have small wrists, and it's just like wearing a watch.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy a fitbit. My phone has the capability to track steps like a pedometer but I can't keep it on me at my job so that doesn't really help me. I want a way to motivate myself to take those few extra steps everyday.

So MFP community, I need help! I know there are several models of fitbit so if you have experience with one (good or bad) let me know! Also what price did you pay for yours?? And if you had to buy one again would you??

Thanks in advance!!!!
    I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy a fitbit. My phone has the capability to track steps like a pedometer but I can't keep it on me at my job so that doesn't really help me. I want a way to motivate myself to take those few extra steps everyday.

So MFP community, I need help! I know there are several models of fitbit so if you have experience with one (good or bad) let me know! Also what price did you pay for yours?? And if you had to buy one again would you??

Thanks in advance!!!!

@nablackb So what did you decide on? :) I have a HRM I use and it's really because I spend much of my time working out in the water and it's able to withstand being in water. If I did walking or running I might invest in something very different. Dunno...never really thought about it, never had an interest in running except in the pool. lol
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    YES! I have a Charge and I love it, it has really made me move more and is very accurate.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have the ChargeHR, I upgraded from the flex in March. I love it. And having a watch on my wrist has come in handy a lot more than I imagined it would!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    How accurate is the fitbit surge? Have you compared the total daily burn to how much you can eat to maintain is accurate?
  • AlecB62
    AlecB62 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I want a Charge HR but Fitbit size guide says I'll need an XL which isn't available in the UK.
    I don't think I have that large a wrist but obviously I do.
    A colleague is getting a Surge in large so will try his for size before deciding.
  • AlecB62
    AlecB62 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Well just tried his Large strap on for size, I definitely need an Extra Large .
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    tweaker62 wrote: »
    I want a Charge HR but Fitbit size guide says I'll need an XL which isn't available in the UK.
    I don't think I have that large a wrist but obviously I do.
    A colleague is getting a Surge in large so will try his for size before deciding.

Go by the size guide—all four models are sized differently.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'll provide an alternative view. I have a device by a different manufacturer that does exactly the same. I also have a GPS watch that I use principally for running, cycling.

Does it tell me anything I didn't know already? No, but it does corroborate.
    Does it motivate me to move more? Not really, but that's just me. On a running day I'll easily do 20-30k steps.
    Was it worth it? Meh, undecided. I don't see any compelling value from it, but I picked it up heavily discounted from Amazon.

I'd note that the more expensive models do pimp capabilities that are largely meaningless for most people.

I get far more from my GPS watch as I can compare route, pace, HR, elevation, cadence, ground contact time etc. Cross correlation of the data sets is far more useful than an arbitrary metric unrelated to anything else, like step count.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit and it never leaves my wrist. I use it to track my steps as well as my calories. I find that it is pretty accurate when I've compared the number it gives me for calories burned vs. HRM vs. machine number vs. MFP number. They are all within about 10 to 20 calories of each other based upon my personal stats. It syncs very nicely with My Fitness Pal. If you're using it to track calories burned you have to make sure you log your exercise into MFP (Not Fitbit), with your starting time and minutes. That way you're not double counting. I just have the basic Fitbit and love it.

By the way, did you see the new Bellabeat Leaf? I just ordered one and expect to get it the second week of July. It's beautiful and does everything Fitbit does and more :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that for accuracy (and saving money) you buy either a zip or a one.

I have a charge hr, and while I do enjoy it, I am aware that it counts steps less accurately than the zip or the one and that the HRM doesn't always work.

The flex is the most water proof/resistant option....
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was looking at activity trackers, looked at loads, I thought it would be handy to get one that's compatable with MFP but didn't know if it was worth the cost! Checked out the competition, looked at reviews and comparisons and top 10 polls for activity trackers. In the end I paid £20 for my Mi activity and sleep tracker. Works on Bluetooth to load the data onto a free smart phone/ tablet app. It tracks steps, and activities like running, also my sleep habits too. You log weight and other bits like goal etc, it's showerproof and stores data for 7 days. Bonus is its battery is rechargeable via sub and it lasts for 30 days!!!! There is no monitor so it doesn't drain the battery, only the vibrations for goal progress and daily target met, also the alarm drains battery quicker. Only thing it doesn't do is my heart rate but I'm fine with it. It all depends on what you want it for
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I would suggest that for accuracy (and saving money) you buy either a zip or a one.

I have a charge hr, and while I do enjoy it, I am aware that it counts steps less accurately than the zip or the one and that the HRM doesn't always work.

The flex is the most water proof/resistant option....

I upgraded from Fitbit Flex to Charge HR because it has a real buckle (like a watch), rather than the clasp. I'm still losing at the same rate, so my burn is accurate. (I don't overthink the accuracy of my step count.)

My advice is buy a Fitbit at a store near you, keep the receipt, and return it if you don't like it.

Fitbits calculate your TDEE and sync with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun. I lost the weight & have maintained for a year with Fitbit + MFP.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I have a flex, but if I were ever to buy a new one I would get the clip on one (the zip, I think). I hate that I have to wear the band everyday because its so ugly, but I like knowing my steps. They sell some cute bracelets online that can cover the band, but they're expensive.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely worth it. I had the ONE for years and just now upgraded to the HR. It's so strange how a little plastic thing can be so motivating but it really is. Also the fitbit challenges with other fitbit users is awesome. I doubt you will be disappointed if you get one.