Is fitbit worth it??

Options

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    nablackb wrote: »
    I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy a fitbit. My phone has the capability to track steps like a pedometer but I can't keep it on me at my job so that doesn't really help me. I want a way to motivate myself to take those few extra steps everyday.

I'll provide an alternative view. I have a device by a different manufacturer that does exactly the same. I also have a GPS watch that I use principally for running, cycling.

Does it tell me anything I didn't know already? No, but it does corroborate.
    Does it motivate me to move more? Not really, but that's just me. On a running day I'll easily do 20-30k steps.
    Was it worth it? Meh, undecided. I don't see any compelling value from it, but I picked it up heavily discounted from Amazon.

I'd note that the more expensive models do pimp capabilities that are largely meaningless for most people.

I get far more from my GPS watch as I can compare route, pace, HR, elevation, cadence, ground contact time etc. Cross correlation of the data sets is far more useful than an arbitrary metric unrelated to anything else, like step count.

That's how I see it too. Plus, IMHO, wearing a Fitbit seems to broadcast to the world that you are insecure about your weight/body/health to such an extent that you need to monitor your freakin walking.

Me, I'm fabulous. I walk so everyone can have a better view of my butt, not for fitness.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    IMHO, wearing a Fitbit seems to broadcast to the world that you are insecure about your weight/body/health to such an extent that you need to monitor your freakin walking.

Me, I'm fabulous. I walk so everyone can have a better view of my butt, not for fitness.

President Obama wears a Fitbit Surge: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2999604/Obama-s-enormous-new-watch-Tech-savvy-President-spotted-Fitbit-device-monitor-heart-rate-location-sleeping-patterns-calorie-intake.html
  • Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit and it never leaves my wrist. I use it to track my steps as well as my calories. I find that it is pretty accurate when I've compared the number it gives me for calories burned vs. HRM vs. machine number vs. MFP number. They are all within about 10 to 20 calories of each other based upon my personal stats. It syncs very nicely with My Fitness Pal. If you're using it to track calories burned you have to make sure you log your exercise into MFP (Not Fitbit), with your starting time and minutes. That way you're not double counting. I just have the basic Fitbit and love it.

By the way, did you see the new Bellabeat Leaf? I just ordered one and expect to get it the second week of July. It's beautiful and does everything Fitbit does and more :smile:

Would you mind posting a review for the Bellabeat Leaf on MFP when you receive it?? I googled it and it's so pretty! My birthday is in August, so it may be a potential gift suggestion for the hubs. :wink:

• Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One. Absolutely LOVE it!!! It keeps me moving.. The challenges on Fitbit are great, syncs well with MFP, $119 well spent:)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have had the Force for 1 1/2 years and it helped get me off my *kitten*. Will probably get the charge when this one dies or if it makes it long enough whatever comes next.
  • GA_belle
    GA_belle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and I love it. I sync it to MFP to earn more calories and that motivates me to move more :) I've never had any problems with charging it. I usually only have to do it about once a week. I also find the sleep information very interesting. My only complaint is that I've had it just about a year and I'm on my third band. The original one lasted about 7-8 months. I bought a cheap one from amazon that only lasted about three months. I just bought some more from a different amazon seller. I hope they hold up better.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    GA_belle wrote: »
    I have a flex and I love it.

My only complaint is that I've had it just about a year and I'm on my third band. The original one lasted about 7-8 months. I bought a cheap one from amazon that only lasted about three months. I just bought some more from a different amazon seller. I hope they hold up better.

My first Flex band split along the window through which you see the lights. Turns out I was wearing it too tightly. You're supposed to leave it loose enough to permit air to circulate. After that, I had no problems.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    my fitbit broke, and i am definitely tempted to buy another one. The great thing about some fitbit models is that it doesn't just track steps. it can monitor HR, sleep, etc. It's a good way to be honest with yourself in determining how sedentary you are.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    An activity tracker is the best thing you can get to lose weight and motivate you.

I started with the Jawbone UP24, and now have the Garmin Vivoactive. I tried a couple of the fitbit devices, but they did not seem to work as well as the Garmin devices.

I started using activity trackers a little over 6 months ago. I set it to lose 1 pound per week, and I have been losing 1 pound per week ever since. I have lost almost 30 pounds so far. I have almost 30 more pounds to go, but I have now doubt that i will meet my goal with no problem. It makes it so easy, even I can do it...:)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    klmnumbers wrote: »
    my fitbit broke, and i am definitely tempted to buy another one. The great thing about some fitbit models is that it doesn't just track steps. it can monitor HR, sleep, etc. It's a good way to be honest with yourself in determining how sedentary you are.

Did you contact Fitbit customer service? They might replace it for free.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    klmnumbers wrote: »

Did you contact Fitbit customer service? They might replace it for free.

I think that ship, unfortunately, sailed as I don't even know where I put the old one! It split. I had an old one anyway. Got lots of use. A new, fancier one may just be a good birthday present to myself.

Thanks, though!
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex (one of the cheaper ones) and I am 100% glad I invested in it. It makes me push harder every day to get moving and get my steps in, I must look like a mad woman pacing around my office in circles but it is def for the better!
  • carter1092
    carter1092 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bought a Fitbit flex in January and never took it off (only to charge it) during Spring semester at college. It really helped because as a student, it's hard to fit time to work-out, so I made sure I got in my 10,000 steps each day. It maintained my weight incredibly well because I always gain weight on campus xD After the end of the semester I have not used my Fitbit, but I will use it again when I return to campus in August. I say a Fitbit device, or any other tracking device for your wrist, is great to have if you can't find time to work-out. Since it's strapped to your wrist, you don't need to remember to set it up, which can be an inconvenience when you're trying to track your steps each day. Walking a lot throughout the day will definitely keep the weight off.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    IMHO, wearing a Fitbit seems to broadcast to the world that you are insecure about your weight/body/health to such an extent that you need to monitor your freakin walking.

President Obama wears a Fitbit Surge

Doesn't mean he's not insecure about his weight.

That said, my device is nicely discrete, far more so than most fitbits. It sits underneath my shirt cuff, and behind my watch so it's largely not visible. I always wear french cuffs, so it'll sit underneath neatly.

fwiw I'm not insecure about my weight, I haven't actually weighed myself for some time. I do get a bit twitchy about my running and cycling performance though, hence my GPS tracker being of much more value than my activity tracker.
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had a charge HR since they came out in the UK. I love it !! I passed my old flex to a friend who had been suffering with back problems and only just started back at work. She's doing so well now it really spurred her on with some very gentle walking to begin with - six months on she beats me some days on step count. I think its a great way of encouraging myself to move more and I also have it linked to MFP, MapMyWalk and Bounts so all the data collected is great to look at too. Since having my Charge HR my resting heart rate has gone from 91 down to 69 - so its not just weight loss benefits that you can track its lots of other things too.
  • magnolia416
    magnolia416 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and I love it. It really does make me want to move around more throughout the day to get my stats up!
  • MistyinTN
    MistyinTN Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge that I'm wanting to sell if anyone is interested. It's black and size small.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to decide whether or not to buy a fitbit. My phone has the capability to track steps like a pedometer but I can't keep it on me at my job so that doesn't really help me. I want a way to motivate myself to take those few extra steps everyday.

I'll provide an alternative view. I have a device by a different manufacturer that does exactly the same. I also have a GPS watch that I use principally for running, cycling.

Does it motivate me to move more? Not really, but that's just me. On a running day I'll easily do 20-30k steps.
    Was it worth it? Meh, undecided. I don't see any compelling value from it, but I picked it up heavily discounted from Amazon.

I'd note that the more expensive models do pimp capabilities that are largely meaningless for most people.

I get far more from my GPS watch as I can compare route, pace, HR, elevation, cadence, ground contact time etc. Cross correlation of the data sets is far more useful than an arbitrary metric unrelated to anything else, like step count.

That's how I see it too. Plus, IMHO, wearing a Fitbit seems to broadcast to the world that you are insecure about your weight/body/health to such an extent that you need to monitor your freakin walking.

Way to generalize. I've actually never assumed that about someone who wore a Fitbit. As someone else said- it's a fun toy/tool. More mindfulness toward health and avoiding a sedentary lifestyle is something I would personally love to see more people accomplish.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

You do realize the "H" in IMHO stands for humble right?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If it gets you involved in your fitness, owning it, checking it, pushing yourself...

Even if it was $300 it would be worth it at the end of the day

I have a Polar HRM and Garmin VivoSmart

They got me motivated and excited early on.

Funny thing is I don't use either now that I kind of know my ranges most of the time.

I use the HRM for interval training and I like reading text messages on my wrist band

Some of it is convenient connectivity to calls and texts.

You know if it is a text worth stopping and answering!