Help! carbs are my weakness!

Options
Hi. Been trying out this app to help me lose a few pounds & shrink my middle. I'm 41 & have never been one to keep track of my calories. But this app makes it so easy. But... it has shed light on how many carbohydrates I'm consuming! I'm thinking that has been my down fall. How do you all keep your carbs down. I have tons of recipes pinned for low carb food, but I really need some real, no bull suggestions.

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Yes if they add an undue amount of calories they may be an issue, but as part of a balanced varied diet they shouldn't be an issue. You're better off looking for balance rather than demonising one food group. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight that's it in reality. Have a look at the sexypants link in 'getting started' that has lost of great advice
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary - where are your carbs coming from? You need to eat less of these things, or find alternatives. Try to Increase protein and fats.... Then you'll not have as much room for carbs.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It depends on how low you want to go. I've recently (over the past month) cut my carb consumption drastically – my target is 88g or less per day – by:
    1. No added sugar in tea or coffee.
    2. No fruits other than berries.
    3. I gave up fizzy drinks and juice years ago, but they're a obvious culprit.
    4. No potatoes, pasta or sweet corn. I occasionally have sweet potatoes and have just bought a black bean pasta that apparently tastes like normal pasta but is mostly protein (haven't tried it yet)
    5. Cut down or cut out other 'sweet vegetables' (beetroot, carrots, peas)
    6. I have oatmeal only occasionally rather than daily (have a protein based breakfast instead - yogurt or eggs)

The good thing is, you can replace the carb calories with good fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts, full fat dairy, cheese....) Just be careful to measure them.

There's a low carb group on MFP with recipes etc if you really want to get into it. Good luck!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Make sure the carbs you do eat are good ones. Legumes, whole grains, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It depends on how low you want to go. I've recently (over the past month) cut my carb consumption drastically – my target is 88g or less per day – by:
    1. No added sugar in tea or coffee.
    2. No fruits other than berries.
    3. I gave up fizzy drinks and juice years ago, but they're a obvious culprit.
    4. No potatoes, pasta or sweet corn. I occasionally have sweet potatoes and have just bought a black bean pasta that apparently tastes like normal pasta but is mostly protein (haven't tried it yet)
    5. Cut down or cut out other 'sweet vegetables' (beetroot, carrots, peas)
    6. I have oatmeal only occasionally rather than daily (have a protein based breakfast instead - yogurt or eggs)

The good thing is, you can replace the carb calories with good fats (olive oil, avocados, nuts, full fat dairy, cheese....) Just be careful to measure them.

There's a low carb group on MFP with recipes etc if you really want to get into it. Good luck!
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

OP - unless you have a medical condition there is absolutely NO reason to follow any of this nonsense….

Eat in a calorie deficit, hit your micros/macros, and get a food scale to weigh all solid foods…

Carrots and peas are bad for you now, really?

No potatoes or pasta, really? Are you going to avoid all these foods for the rest of your life. Just because you have an unhealthy relationship with food, does not mean that OP has to join you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hi. Been trying out this app to help me lose a few pounds & shrink my middle. I'm 41 & have never been one to keep track of my calories. But this app makes it so easy. But... it has shed light on how many carbohydrates I'm consuming! I'm thinking that has been my down fall. How do you all keep your carbs down. I have tons of recipes pinned for low carb food, but I really need some real, no bull suggestions.

carbs are not your downfall, unless they put you in a calorie surplus.

eat in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight, regardless of your carb intake.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    as an FYI - 35 to 40% of my calories come from carbs and as of this morning I have lost about ten pounds in three months on my most recent cut. Just about a pound per week...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I try to balance the best I can and with what me and family like and will eat without compromising taste.. Although I know they are not the enemy and I am foodie at heart, I like to cook lower carb cookies, desserts and snacks, etc..

I replaced white carbs with other alternatives and believe it or not, pretty yummy and even branched out my taste buds a bit.

White potatoes for sweet potatoes
    White pasta for whole wheat pasta
    White flour for almond, coconut flour
    White rice with brown rice or wild rice
    I make my own pizza dough for veggie pizzas or even tomato based pizza (homemade).
    Higher carb or sugar alternatives like regular waffles for whole grain waffles, higher protein cereals
    Low glycemic vegetables (but I still eat carrots, corn, zucchini, squash, onions tomatos)
    Cheese (low fat or full fat), cottage cheese, cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella
    Sugar free ice cream (Blue Bunny)
    Sugar Free Creamers for coffee
    Eat fish and chicken 6 days a week with veggies and a carb (potato or rice..)
    Eat dessert every night of the week..
    I choose higher proteins/fats (nuts, seeds, still eat peanut butter and nut butters, avocados, butter)

My carb goals are 100 and under, yes I do go over some days.. Since I am high protein especially workout days, I choose higher protein and fats..

• Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    What types of carbs are your downfall? Are you eating cookies all day or do you just like to eat fruit and legumes? Are you cooking regular meals or do you prefer to munch on potato chips all day?

Carbs in and of themselves are probably not your problem. But if you have poor nutritional habits, you can change that.