Not losing weight but I'm doing everything right!

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    OP, you're within a healthy weight range for your height. If you want to 'look better naked', then add resistance training. Your diet seems balanced, but I am concerned due to your nickname that you may have an eating disorder and are trying to use this site to restrict and lose more weight. Are you in recovery or are you trying to restrict? Your original goal of 40lbs loss would lead us to believe the latter. Please make sure you are approaching health and fitness in a positive way and not in a way that will harm you. Anorexia can kill you, it is very serious, and we want everyone here to be healthy, mentally and physically.

If you need information on ED treatment, please speak to a doctor or visit http://www.something-fishy.org/

I have been in recovery once before but had to leave early bc there was an issue with my insurance. I relapsed and now I'm trying to get healthy. I appreciate everyone's concern but I really would just like to know what I can be fixing about what I'm doing now that doesn't involve ED comments.

If you've relapsed, then you need to see if you can work with your treatment team again. When people see the username you chose, and your loss goal (even if you've changed it) compared to your stats, those are huge signs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Fill out your mfp profile accurately. Your activity level does not include exercise. That is logged separately. Set yourself up to lose .5 pounds per week. Eat all of those calories plus 50%+ of your exercise calories. Be patient. Losing 20-25 pounds will take a year.
    17116208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I am going to go with attention seeking troll for ten points please.

Many of us regular chunky folks stick to a 1200 plan. I don't think anyone needs to worry that this is a real anorexic person crying out for help. On 2000 they will be just fine ;)

I was originally on a 1200 cal plan as I said before, but someone mentioned to me that if I wanted to take the healthy route that I should up my cal intake. They could have been telling me that bc of my user, but I was looking for advice and that's what I got.
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Fill out your mfp profile accurately. Your activity level does not include exercise. That is logged separately. Set yourself up to lose .5 pounds per week. Eat all of those calories plus 50%+ of your exercise calories. Be patient. Losing 20-25 pounds will take a year.

Thank you, this was very helpful. I will do all of this now and I am more then open to advice and tips!
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    craziedani wrote: »
    Are you weighing your foods, counting everything you eat? You might be gaining muscle and according to your profile you have 41 pounds to lose. Maybe open your diary, you might get better feedback that way.

While she won't be gaining muscle...I didn't notice the ticker. Just the username. So...

Yeah when you click on the name to her profile it says progress 0 lbs lost, 41 lbs to go. Not really sure what you were going for here.

Back to the point. Still 20-25 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. you might want to consider just sticking with maintenance. as for not liking veggies, that's not really going to help you in the long run as you run the risk of not having enough of different nutriets. Maybe try green smooties using kale, spinach, collard greens, etc and sweeten them with fruit. You might want us to stop referring to the fact that the weight loss seems a bit high and refer you to get help, but no one here is going to recommend that much weight loss for someone of your size now. Like others said, add resistance training to your regimine and that would help you most likely "look better naked" and be healthy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising a lot when you hadn't been before your weight gain is probably water weight. Your muscles need it to repair. Eventually it will settle down.
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Are you weighing your foods, counting everything you eat? You might be gaining muscle and according to your profile you have 41 pounds to lose. Maybe open your diary, you might get better feedback that way.

While she won't be gaining muscle...I didn't notice the ticker. Just the username. So...

Yeah when you click on the name to her profile it says progress 0 lbs lost, 41 lbs to go. Not really sure what you were going for here.

Back to the point. Still 20-25 pounds is a lot of weight to lose. you might want to consider just sticking with maintenance. as for not liking veggies, that's not really going to help you in the long run as you run the risk of not having enough of different nutriets. Maybe try green smooties using kale, spinach, collard greens, etc and sweeten them with fruit. You might want us to stop referring to the fact that the weight loss seems a bit high and refer you to get help, but no one here is going to recommend that much weight loss for someone of your size now. Like others said, add resistance training to your regimine and that would help you most likely "look better naked" and be healthy.

Thank you, I will definitely try green smoothies I've never had them before so I'm always up to trying new things. As I mentioned before, my profile is old and I'm slowly updating it (I don't even know what you guys are seeing). I understand it can be alarming but I'm here seeking advice for REAL healthy alternatives and I hoped everyone on here would be more than happy to give me nutrition advice (which I see now you all are) so thank you!
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If you are exercising a lot when you hadn't been before your weight gain is probably water weight. Your muscles need it to repair. Eventually it will settle down.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Thank you for telling me this
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Her name says it all.
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    thats good then. As for green smoothies, My favorite is with a mixture of kale and collard greens. Blend them with a little water first (I have a nutribullet which I love) and then add the fruit. We usually add pineapple, apples, and sometiems pears. Strawberries are great for sweetness and to take away the flavor of the greens. My son who is 15 months loves them. I also like using frozen fruits too. :-) Good luck
  • tanklifetj
    tanklifetj Posts: 184 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've no judgements, but if you are serious about wanting to loose that much weight, MFP does have some tools that can be helpful in achieving that. It is best to know your goal weight, the amount of activity that you will be doing daily - and weekly, and also to create customized meals that you frequent for quickly adding.

Putting in the effort to learn the tools that you are using is just as important as using those tools themselves. Explore the website and application, play with the different features, and try to understand how each one changes based on the inputs you give to them.

You can edit and customize based on several macro-nutrients via the Goals tab of your profile, and also set those goals to any custom level based on the overall amount of calories that you take in each day. Whatever your end journey is, I wish you safe travels down your road of life, Namaste.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Thank you for telling me this

Yep! It's actually really good to give your body at least 1 rest day from intense exercise, especially when you're starting out. If you've been running, lifting, etc, for a long time, you might be fine with daily exercise, but I definitely encourage a day off :)

Try not to focus on the number on your scale as much. Get your calorie intake figured out (plug in your goals/stats here, let MFP calculate for you, and follow that for 4-6 weeks), log your food accurately (food scale for solids/semi-solids, measuring cups for liquids), and start following a strength training program! Measure yourself (places like natural waist, widest part of your hips, thighs, even your bust/underbust) and do those measurements every 2-4 weeks or so. If you stick with it, you should see yourself slim down, even if the number on the scale doesn't change much.

Depending on your body shape, you might find that you would need to be very, very light (unhealthily so) to get the look you want. But if you strength train instead, you'll look just as good, and probably better, even if the number on the scale is higher than what you want it to be.

Also re: veggies - have you tried cooking them different ways? Roasting them can make veggies super delicious. Worth a try!

~Lyssa
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It seems like you are just arbitrarily picking 2000 calories, which may be the problem in and of itself.

It's better than eating 1200 calories and not eating back any exercise calories, but it's still not a knowledge based decision.

I would try to figure out what your maintenance calories are using your TDEE. If you want to lose 0.5 weekly (which given your weight is probably the only appropriate thing, especially given your previous history) then minus out 250 calories per day.

As for exercise, it is my general rule to eat back half of those calories. I find almost all estimates whether it be on a machine, on MFP or a fitbit to be bloated.

That might be a better route for you. It'll also be an informed, healthy route which for someone with you history I could not recommend more. Knowing you are making a healthy and informed decision is a big thing IMO.

P.S. I also think wanting to lose 20 to 25 lbs might not be realistic. You are in a healthy BMI now and while 20-25 will still put you in a healthy BMI category, it wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you, this is very helpful and I will definitely follow your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed post, I am and have been really motivated (and a little excited) to finally have this healthy lifestyle again and be able to feel confident once I do lose the weight in a healthy way.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So to sum up, you want to lose weight even though your picture shows someone who is very slim and you've got an ED, you insist you're 'doing everything right' but then follow that up saying you have a meal that's made by someone else and you are not weighing food. You're either a troll or you need more help with your ED, and this isn't the place for that help. What this place can help with is healthy eating as a lifestyle. And by healthy, I mean eating the food you need to function properly, not just lose weight.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    So to sum up, you want to lose weight even though your picture shows someone who is very slim and you've got an ED, you insist you're 'doing everything right' but then follow that up saying you have a meal that's made by someone else and you are not weighing food. You're either a troll or you need more help with your ED, and this isn't the place for that help. What this place can help with is healthy eating as a lifestyle. And by healthy, I mean eating the food you need to function properly, not just lose weight.

Just look at "her" name. I suspect a troll. But hey as long as we all have some fun here!
    Options
    thats good then. As for green smoothies, My favorite is with a mixture of kale and collard greens. Blend them with a little water first (I have a nutribullet which I love) and then add the fruit. We usually add pineapple, apples, and sometiems pears. Strawberries are great for sweetness and to take away the flavor of the greens. My son who is 15 months loves them. I also like using frozen fruits too. :-) Good luck

Thank you so much!!! I'm excited to try this recipe and I have a magic bullet at home which I love too haha
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. It really does happen if you just started exercising or changed your routine drastically.

OP, 2000 calories per day may or may not put you in a deficit. You need to plug your numbers into MFP or a different online calculator, and find out what is appropriate for YOUR body and level of activity.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Put in your stats in the MFP app, choose your goal, then log accurately.

This.

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You keep saying stuff like "I heard", "someone told me". You need to learn the basics for yourself. There is a ton of nonsense out there in the diet and fitness industry. Taking the time to educate yourself will allow you to be successful and healthy. Go and read the stickies at the top of each forum. They are full of great info. Look up Macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) and Micronutrients (vitamins), and fiber. You need a minimum of these per day to operate your body healthily.

Ignore fad diets.

Good luck