Not losing weight but I'm doing everything right!

Options

Replies

17116208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat but how much. Your diet can be completely "healthy" (which is really subjective btw, as I don't consider any foods good or bad) and you can still gain weight if you eat too much. But I'm confused. You're a healthy weight now...and trying to become an unhealthy weight...and your username doesn't help you out much. Have you considered speaking to a professional?

Yes I have received help and am now looking for a healthier route. I have updated my profile :)
    Options
    tanklifetj wrote: »
    I've no judgements, but if you are serious about wanting to loose that much weight, MFP does have some tools that can be helpful in achieving that. It is best to know your goal weight, the amount of activity that you will be doing daily - and weekly, and also to create customized meals that you frequent for quickly adding.

Putting in the effort to learn the tools that you are using is just as important as using those tools themselves. Explore the website and application, play with the different features, and try to understand how each one changes based on the inputs you give to them.

You can edit and customize based on several macro-nutrients via the Goals tab of your profile, and also set those goals to any custom level based on the overall amount of calories that you take in each day. Whatever your end journey is, I wish you safe travels down your road of life, Namaste.

Thank you, I'm gonna sit down later and really figure this app out and do some research on nutrition. I clearly have a lot to learn before I really begin this health journey but I'm excited to learn. Thanks again for your advice!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go to PC version

Go to settings

Go to change username

And change it
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    May I ask why your username is anorexicdiary?

I think you need to get off MFP and speak with a mental health professional.
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    If you are exercising a lot when you hadn't been before your weight gain is probably water weight. Your muscles need it to repair. Eventually it will settle down.

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Thank you for telling me this

Yep! It's actually really good to give your body at least 1 rest day from intense exercise, especially when you're starting out. If you've been running, lifting, etc, for a long time, you might be fine with daily exercise, but I definitely encourage a day off :)

Try not to focus on the number on your scale as much. Get your calorie intake figured out (plug in your goals/stats here, let MFP calculate for you, and follow that for 4-6 weeks), log your food accurately (food scale for solids/semi-solids, measuring cups for liquids), and start following a strength training program! Measure yourself (places like natural waist, widest part of your hips, thighs, even your bust/underbust) and do those measurements every 2-4 weeks or so. If you stick with it, you should see yourself slim down, even if the number on the scale doesn't change much.

Depending on your body shape, you might find that you would need to be very, very light (unhealthily so) to get the look you want. But if you strength train instead, you'll look just as good, and probably better, even if the number on the scale is higher than what you want it to be.

Also re: veggies - have you tried cooking them different ways? Roasting them can make veggies super delicious. Worth a try!

~Lyssa

Thank you! Yes I have tried roasting some but just eyeballing it, I'll try looking up some recipes! And I used to measure myself but it was always looked down upon (I'm sure you can guess why) I will try it again though and post it here :) That's also very interesting about the water weight, I never knew that! Thank you again!!
    Options
    If you are exercising a lot when you hadn't been before your weight gain is probably water weight. Your muscles need it to repair. Eventually it will settle down.

That's what I was thinking. It really does happen if you just started exercising or changed your routine drastically.

OP, 2000 calories per day may or may not put you in a deficit. You need to plug your numbers into MFP or a different online calculator, and find out what is appropriate for YOUR body and level of activity.

Definitely possible that it was water weight! My friend and I were working out vigorously for about 2 weeks with not 1 day off. Yesterday we didn't work out and I got on the scale this morning and have shaved off a few ounces (could also be because I haven't had breakfast yet!) but this is very helpful information! Also, I will properly calculate everything. Thank you!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

Oh wow, I didn't even know that was a thing. Thank you for telling me this

Yep! It's actually really good to give your body at least 1 rest day from intense exercise, especially when you're starting out. If you've been running, lifting, etc, for a long time, you might be fine with daily exercise, but I definitely encourage a day off :)

Try not to focus on the number on your scale as much. Get your calorie intake figured out (plug in your goals/stats here, let MFP calculate for you, and follow that for 4-6 weeks), log your food accurately (food scale for solids/semi-solids, measuring cups for liquids), and start following a strength training program! Measure yourself (places like natural waist, widest part of your hips, thighs, even your bust/underbust) and do those measurements every 2-4 weeks or so. If you stick with it, you should see yourself slim down, even if the number on the scale doesn't change much.

Depending on your body shape, you might find that you would need to be very, very light (unhealthily so) to get the look you want. But if you strength train instead, you'll look just as good, and probably better, even if the number on the scale is higher than what you want it to be.

Also re: veggies - have you tried cooking them different ways? Roasting them can make veggies super delicious. Worth a try!

~Lyssa

Thank you! Yes I have tried roasting some but just eyeballing it, I'll try looking up some recipes! And I used to measure myself but it was always looked down upon (I'm sure you can guess why) I will try it again though and post it here :) That's also very interesting about the water weight, I never knew that! Thank you again!!

What I do is measure out my raw veggies into a bowl (say 100g), then shake that in a bag with 1/2 tsp of olive oil and some salt and pepper. I love to eat cabbage this way! I'll chop it up, measure it, shake it, lay it out evenly on a baking sheet and cook for maybe 5 minutes while I'm waiting for chicken to finish baking.

I, too, have struggled with an ED and I know it can be tough to get out of the mindset. I've really had to change the way I think about food and fitness - switching my focus to liking how I look vs. a number on the scale, making sure the things I eat are both good for me & yummy - with the added treat that also has to be yummy, of course ;).

Remember that your calorie goal here (once you've filled stuff out appropriately) is a GOAL. I try to stay within 50 calories of the number I'm supposed to eat and try to be no fewer than 100 under when the day is done.

Do exercise that makes you feel good. Strength train to preserve muscle. Eat yummy things that fit into your calories. And have patience! Do the same thing for at least 4 weeks before you decide if it's working for you or if you need to change things up.

I wish you all the best. You can do this.

~Lyssa
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    You keep saying stuff like "I heard", "someone told me". You need to learn the basics for yourself. There is a ton of nonsense out there in the diet and fitness industry. Taking the time to educate yourself will allow you to be successful and healthy. Go and read the stickies at the top of each forum. They are full of great info. Look up Macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) and Micronutrients (vitamins), and fiber. You need a minimum of these per day to operate your body healthily.

Ignore fad diets.

Good luck

You're right, I should be educating myself more on this if I'm actually serious about it. There's no way I'm going to be fully committed if I can't properly log my foods and exercises. I'm going to do a lot of research and this is definitely helping, thank you!!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    change your user name OP, it's making light of a serious eating disorder and does not belong here.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    change your user name OP, it's making light of a serious eating disorder and does not belong here.

Read the thread. She has already stated that she had an ED in the past but has received treatment and is trying to move on in a healthy manner. I agree she needs to update her user name, but she is in no way making light of anything.

OP - feel free to add me. I suffered from an ED in the past, and am now losing weight in a healthy manner eating approx. 1700 calories a day and having occasional, controlled treats (no binges). My diary is open. Not every day is perfect, but that is life. Even though it has been nearly 20 years since I was at my worst, I still find harmful thoughts creeping up. I find having fitness goals, not only weight goals, has helped a lot. When the bad thoughts pop up, I can remind myself that starving myself will be counter productive to my strength goal. Even a week of two of very low calories will damage the muscle I have worked for so far.
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    So to sum up, you want to lose weight even though your picture shows someone who is very slim and you've got an ED, you insist you're 'doing everything right' but then follow that up saying you have a meal that's made by someone else and you are not weighing food. You're either a troll or you need more help with your ED, and this isn't the place for that help. What this place can help with is healthy eating as a lifestyle. And by healthy, I mean eating the food you need to function properly, not just lose weight.
    e a

The OP stated with all honesty that she previously suffered from an ED. She also said she is currently following a 2000 calorie a day diet and asking for advice. Doesn't sound like someone who is active in ED to me. It sounds to me like someone who is trying to move forward in a healthy, productive way.

To the OP. I have a couple words of advice for you. I would change your username if you are serious about no longer engaging in ED behavior. You will continue to get the type of reaction you are currently getting. I don't know if you can change a username, but you can always make a brand new account.

Secondly, I commend you for making positive, healthy choices. Many years ago I worked with women with body image disorders and ED symptoms. I think making the most informed decisions is a really helpful thing. If you just do something because someone told you to, it is really easy to get back on the wrong path again.

I'd also find accountability partners. When people who have a history of ED try to lose weight it can be a really stressful and triggering time. Someone who knows all of your history and can hold your feet to the fire if you start exerting those behaviors again. Additionally, I would make sure that you have your diary open to those people. Just the idea that if you start logging extreme calorie deficits again or lots of exercise....the idea that someone can see it can be a deterrent. Of course the log is only as good and honest as the person filling it out, but having someone who you trust to monitor it can be a helpful tool.

Thank you so much! My friend and I are doing this together so we're watching each o
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Go to PC version

Go to settings

Go to change username

And change it

I have a Mac but I assume when you say "PC" you mean an actual desktop computer.. Regardless, I will do this as soon as I get to a computer! Thank you!
    Options
    mirrim52 wrote: »

Read the thread. She has already stated that she had an ED in the past but has received treatment and is trying to move on in a healthy manner. I agree she needs to update her user name, but she is in no way making light of anything.

OP - feel free to add me. I suffered from an ED in the past, and am now losing weight in a healthy manner eating approx. 1700 calories a day and having occasional, controlled treats (no binges). My diary is open. Not every day is perfect, but that is life. Even though it has been nearly 20 years since I was at my worst, I still find harmful thoughts creeping up. I find having fitness goals, not only weight goals, has helped a lot. When the bad thoughts pop up, I can remind myself that starving myself will be counter productive to my strength goal. Even a week of two of very low calories will damage the muscle I have worked for so far.

Thank you for clarifying for me.. Also, I added you! No matter how long or when you struggled, you struggled.. So I applaud you for making it this far and taking the healthy route! I am trying to do the same myself and obviously having a hard time getting there but I have no fear hay I will make it :) Thank you for the advice!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

@mirrim52 I hate to tell you this but her behavior is still mimicking that of an ED. Anorexics in recovery are NEVER advised to lose weight, even in a healthy fashion. While they may be at a healthy weight, unhealthy thoughts still come to mind when restricting calories.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

@mirrim52 I hate to tell you this but her behavior is still mimicking that of an ED. Anorexics in recovery are NEVER advised to lose weight, even in a healthy fashion. While they may be at a healthy weight, unhealthy thoughts still come to mind when restricting calories.

Thank you, but I also have history of an eating disorder. Yes, unhealthy thoughts still come to mind, but we learn to recognise them as unhealthy and deal with them while recovering, similar to how an alcoholic has to learn how to be in situations with alcohol without drinking.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Big red flags:

1) Username
    2) Over exercising
    3) Obsessed with weight
    4) Thinking in terms of wrong and right

Well beyond my scope of practice.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight at her height is 130-150lbs.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    OP, make sure you're taking in enough water as well. Water is essential. (Sorry if someone already mentioned that).

Another thing is to be patient. It's taken me quite some time to get used to eating better, tracking and logging calories, making sure I'm taking in enough water, and so on. For those of us who are learning this stuff for the first time (or the first time in a long time), it takes time to learn and then make proper changes. Especially, be patient with yourself. I've seen a lot of people "do the right thing" and still have a bad week in terms of weight loss. It happens. Don't beat yourself up.
  • kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Reading this makes me really sad because I'm the same exact height and weight . 5'5 138. Do I have slightly a bit more body fat then I'd like? Yes. Could I lose 20-40 pounds and be healthy? HELL NO. 125 is generally the weight I hit when I'm my healthiest and happiest , any lower would be unhealthy for our height .