I need help ASAP

Options

Replies

• Apud85
    Apud85 Posts: 74 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Remember to take it one day at a time. If you mess up today, tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up over it. Also, if your end goal seems daunting, I think it helps to break up your weight loss goal into smaller milestones. It seems more attainable that way.

Good luck!! You have an adorable son.. such a great reason to be healthy!
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step. We're here to help and if you would like, send me a friend request and I can help answer any questions that you have.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Admitting that there's a problem is the first step. Joining MFP is the second. You're on the right track already. Follow MFP's guidelines. Exercise more with your little guy. Find active things that you both enjoy and it won't seem so bad.
  • Storytella100
    Storytella100 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Thank you very much. I'm about to go log my first breakfast meal which is going to be Cheerios and 1% milk I just don't understand the serving size how do you know what one serving sizes or eight serving sizes how do I measure that when I pour my cereal

For the milk, use a measuring cup. On the back of the milk, there will be a nutritional label that will say how many ounces or mL a serving is. For the cereal, when you get a food scale, use the scale to measure out the proper serving in grams. Until you get a food scale, you can use a measuring cup. It won't be as accurate, but it will be closer than guessing.

Ok I think I understand how that works I found a measuring cup and use that then I looked on the back and measured it to what it was saying. Thank you very much
  • kathycallow
    kathycallow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You've already taken the biggest step, which is to get started. Congrats! Now it's just a matter of showing up everyday. Don't try to get everything right all at once. Keep track of what you eat as best you can. Try to eat more vegetables without a lot of sauces. Try to get some exercise most days. A good start is taking your son to a playground and walking around the equipment with him. I'm a single parent, too, and it can be tough with a little one. You're off to a good start!
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Welcome! It is very nice to meet you. I am super committed to my weight loss and I log religiously. I'm going to send you a friend request incase you want some support along the way.

I'm 40 - some pounds into my weight loss and still have about 130 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight of 130. Anyway, I'm here for the long haul & I hope that you are too!

You've gotten some really sound advice already so I won't repeat most of it. I did want to re-emphasize one thing.... if you screw up ( and everyone does)log it, forgive yourself and press on. One bad meal doesn't have to ruin your day, your week or mean to give up entirely. Get right back at it! You've totally got this! :)
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey guys today is my first day on here and my goal is to loose 100 pounds. Right now I'm 379 and I'm a single dad of a son that's 4 years old. I took him to Lego land yesterday and wasn't able to get on any rides with him because I was to big.

I understand all too well my friend. On my last family vacation I got kicked off of a rollercoaster at Knottsberry Farm that my son wanted to go on because they couldn't lower the safety bar. My wife went with him instead and he got off the ride saying "my dad couldn't go because he's too fat!"

Horrible. Feel free to add me.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Hey guys today is my first day on here and my goal is to loose 100 pounds. Right now I'm 379 and I'm a single dad of a son that's 4 years old. I took him to Lego land yesterday and wasn't able to get on any rides with him because I was to big. It's time for a change in my life and it has to happen now. I could really use some help from some passionate motivated people who can get me moving in the right direction. and I'll do my best to do the same for them. I'm not going to give up until I reach me goal.

Congrats and good luck! It's a big commitment, but it's a big deal, especially for your son's sake.

Getting a good food scale will be a big help to you. I was just at Walmart, and they have several types, but most of them are not good models (the switch to change to grams is on the bottom, and they don't hold the setting).

They do have one made by Taylor. Walmart is selling it with some "Biggest Loser" branding, but it's the same one I use. It's easy to set up and use. It's also on Amazon here for cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-3842-Digital-Food-Scale/dp/B00BDS2X2G

It takes a little effort (and you need a calculator handy sometimes), but once you get the habit it becomes second nature.
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Try to get some exercise most days. A good start is taking your son to a playground and walking around the equipment with him. I'm a single parent, too, and it can be tough with a little one. You're off to a good start!
    ^^^ My children's playground has gravel all around it. I walk around the playscape and get a great calf workout. :D plus I get super mommy points for taking them to a playground.

My advice is 1. drink plenty water. Its cheap and helps your body do a bunch of great stuff. 2. Don't fall for any diet scams. No special diet shakes, pills, powders. Eat real food.
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Try to get some exercise most days. A good start is taking your son to a playground and walking around the equipment with him. I'm a single parent, too, and it can be tough with a little one. You're off to a good start!
    ^^^ My children's playground has gravel all around it. I walk around the playscape and get a great calf workout. :D plus I get super mommy points for taking them to a playground.

My advice is 1. drink plenty water. Its cheap and helps your body do a bunch of great stuff. 2. Don't fall for any diet scams. No special diet shakes, pills, powders. Eat real food.

Thank you very much That's a good idea
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Oh- before I forget! One thing I started doing when I first started to lose weight is park my car further away from where I needed to be so I would get some extra walking in.
  • Storytella100
    Options
    clayton72 wrote: »
    So on your cereal box, it should have a serving size. It is usually like 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup. You can get cheap measuring cups from any store (Grocery/Walmart/Target etc). What I do to make it easier and faster, is pre-measure each serving and put it in a ziplock bag (like the snack or sandwich size). That way in the morning, I just grab a bag out of the box and it is already ready already. It only takes a few minutes to measure out each bag and then you should be set for the whole week.

Nice go idea I will start doing that
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Congrats on the first step & welcome to the journey :-) Buy a food scale, weigh & log everything that you consume, and make sure you are eating at a deficit. Don't worry if it takes some time to get used to it, I'm a little over 100 days in and I still get frustrated. The thing is to keep at it & don't worry about the missteps along the way, it will be worth it in the end!!!!

Thank you very much. Your right I went to make my cereal forgot to get my phone to log my food so I went back upstairs to got my phone before eight I always have my phone on me so always be able to log my food from now on
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing this for a little over a month. One thing I've noticed is I'm eating healthier now that I'm counting calories. I don't want to waste calories eating junk food that really adds up. Do you cook for your son as well? Eating healthier will help him as well. Like other people have said, I try not to let myself get hungry. I always have an apple with a little bit of peanut butter in the afternoon so I can last till dinner. If you can afford it it might help to have a consultation with a nutritionist. But before you do that start logging your calories in MFP. I always try to make sure I have protein for breakfast because then I fill full for a lot longer. Fiber is filling as well. I love my whole grain lower fat Thomas English muffins. They have tons of fiber. Good luck and you have a lot of resources on this app. Good luck with your journey,
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Oh- before I forget! One thing I started doing when I first started to lose weight is park my car further away from where I needed to be so I would get some extra walking in.

Lol for reals because all I do is sit and drive then get home and sit more I will start doing that too
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    i'd also say that many people, like you described, get motivated because of wanting to play with their Son or Daughter---looking forward, you'll be able to "rock" that kiddie activity!
  • Storytella100
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    i'd also say that many people, like you described, get motivated because of wanting to play with their Son or Daughter---looking forward, you'll be able to "rock" that kiddie activity!

Thank you very much
  • Storytella100
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Wow thank you everyone for your great words of wisdom. I'm not gonna lie tears came out of my eyes when I wasn't made fun of and people actually cared to encourage me.[/quote]

Oh, hell no! From now on you decide that anyone, whether here or in real life, is the kind of person that makes fun of someone else strictly due to their size that that is THEIR deficiency, NOT yours! If someone says something to you, take a breath and say to yourself, "That person must be really miserable. Or maybe they are having a bad day. Too bad they are so small-minded." Then let it go and move on with your day!

Thank you that's why I don't like to go to 24 hour fitness or two actual real gems because everyone there is already fit and it makes me feel uncomfortable because I'm a really big but I might not be able to lift as much weight as people expect me to because of how Big I am. So it's very intimidating to me to work out in public. And when I was younger I was always made fun of because of my weight and I like to eat when I'm depressed
  • tyismc
    tyismc Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey guys today is my first day on here and my goal is to loose 100 pounds. Right now I'm 379 and I'm a single dad of a son that's 4 years old. I took him to Lego land yesterday and wasn't able to get on any rides with him because I was to big. It's time for a change in my life and it has to happen now. I could really use some help from some passionate motivated people who can get me moving in the right direction. and I'll do my best to do the same for them. I'm not going to give up until I reach me goal. pbdgdzgm0dwp.jpg
    knowing that you want to do this for you and your son is the first step. Its not easy. You have to change your whole lifestyle. I have 80 to loose so im right there with ya.

• Storytella100
    Options
    Congratulations on being brave enough to take this first step and bravo on being a dad and doing this not only for you but for your son.

My best advice is take baby steps. Also, do research/ask for help. We have all been new to this before so never be afraid to ask for help. If you don't understand serving sizes, just ask or google it. There are tons of resources out there. Also, a food scale will help. Trust me, it sounded silly to me when I joined but honestly it does make you think about how much you are eating.

Also, any activity you can get in, do it. Even something as simple as walking around the block. You'll be surprised how little things like that can add up!

Best of luck! Don't give up!

Thank you very much. I'm walking to the park with my son now