I need help ASAP

Options

Replies

• PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Also, you're son looks awesome. I'll bet he's a total babe magnet.
  • penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Legoland was the location of one of my most humiliating events. I got in a oat with my daighter and it sank so far in the water that it scraped along the bottom so I had to get out. Everyone stared at me and my daughter was so sad we couldn't do the ride.

It wasnt enough to make me change though. Huge well done on your life changing decision. Your son is gorgeous.
  • penelopepittstopsmam
    penelopepittstopsmam Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So sorry.

Boat with my daughter.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Your son looks SO much like you!

Congratulations on taking this first step, and welcome to the rest of your life. <3
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hey man, @skullshank has pointed out some great links. Take the time to read through them, and jot them down to read again later.

Grab a food scale from Amazon or Walmart, and spring for a good measuring cup as cheapie ones can be fairly inaccurate.

Take the time to use "verified" entries from the MFP database, and for the first week or so don't worry too much about how big of a deficit you hit: just try to figure out your logging! Trust me, the act of logging your food will make you cut down on a lot of extra calories anyway :smile:

You have an iphone. The Pacer Pedometer app can connect back to MFP and works fine. Don't worry about "big time" exercise right away. A bit more walking and moving around will do wonders for you in the beginning!

This is not a one week sprint. You don't need to change everything right away, or be a hero and punish yourself! A whole whack of small easy to make and sustainable changes... and a year later you will be well into your 200s.

Goals and settings you chose today can and should be reviewed regularly. Food that doesn't fill you up and doesn't help you meet your goals (and is not otherwise meaningful to you)... should be swapped out for something that performs better :smile:

Take care, and enjoy the journey: sure there will be bumps along the road; but a lot of it can be fun too! :smile:
  • Storytella100
    Storytella100 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    I'm a single dad of a son that's 4 years old.

That's a ton of motivation right there. There's a saying: Everyone says they would die for their children, so why won't you LIVE for them?

Legoland is awesome! Maybe you can set that as a goal/reward to be able to go back and go on the rides with your son.

As far as getting started, you'll hear it from lots of people, the most important thing is to accurately track every single thing that goes in your mouth. That means using a digital food scale or a barcode.

Will do thank you

• Storytella100
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    Also, you're son looks awesome. I'll bet he's a total babe magnet.
    He is but I'm just really shy when it comes to Women
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Legoland was the location of one of my most humiliating events. I got in a oat with my daighter and it sank so far in the water that it scraped along the bottom so I had to get out. Everyone stared at me and my daughter was so sad we couldn't do the ride.

It wasnt enough to make me change though. Huge well done on your life changing decision. Your son is gorgeous.

Awwww I'm sorry that happens to you I know how it feels. I bet if I was on a boat behind you it probably would of happened to me too. And thank you very much about my sons comment I bet your daughter is gorgeous
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Your son looks SO much like you!

Congratulations on taking this first step, and welcome to the rest of your life. <3

Awww thank you sooo much. Your very kind and I know I don't know a lot but if I can help in anyway just let me know
  • Storytella100
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Hey man, @skullshank has pointed out some great links. Take the time to read through them, and jot them down to read again later.

Grab a food scale from Amazon or Walmart, and spring for a good measuring cup as cheapie ones can be fairly inaccurate.

Take the time to use "verified" entries from the MFP database, and for the first week or so don't worry too much about how big of a deficit you hit: just try to figure out your logging! Trust me, the act of logging your food will make you cut down on a lot of extra calories anyway :smile:

You have an iphone. The Pacer Pedometer app can connect back to MFP and works fine. Don't worry about "big time" exercise right away. A bit more walking and moving around will do wonders for you in the beginning!

This is not a one week sprint. You don't need to change everything right away, or be a hero and punish yourself! A whole whack of small easy to make and sustainable changes... and a year later you will be well into your 200s.

Goals and settings you chose today can and should be reviewed regularly. Food that doesn't fill you up and doesn't help you meet your goals (and is not otherwise meaningful to you)... should be swapped out for something that performs better :smile:

Take care, and enjoy the journey: sure there will be bumps along the road; but a lot of it can be fun too! :smile:

Wow thanks that all makes sense I really appreciate your help and I will definitely listen to what you told me
  • Storytella100
    Options
    7q6fux8u9awl.jpg
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Hey guys call me crazy but I've been getting a lot of responses from my post way faster then I've ever expected. from some really great and similar people with similar situations our just people who want to help so I decided to start up a group called " Phat People's Feelings " where we can all help each other build confidence and motivation to reach our goals. Because before I got on this app I had like no self of steam or confidence at all and all my new friends that I made helped me believe that I could do it and right now I'm almost 400 pounds who knows if I'll even be able to make My goal but one thing I can say is I'm never going to give up no matter what happens this time there's no turning back for me and I want to be around people with a similar mindset. So I seen you could create your own group on here so here I am trying to start a move meant for all us Phat people out there who are afraid to speak up and be them selfs. It's time for a change ladies and gentlemen let's do this one step at a time.
  • flitterfoot
    flitterfoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Apud85 wrote: »
    Remember to take it one day at a time. If you mess up today, tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up over it. Also, if your end goal seems daunting, I think it helps to break up your weight loss goal into smaller milestones. It seems more attainable that way.

Good luck!! You have an adorable son.. such a great reason to be healthy!

This is great advice. Like OP I have a lot to lose and I so wish is found MFP at the beginning of the journey. I totally blew it yesterday and ended up over 2000 calories over maintenance. But thanks to the great advice all over MFP I now realise that today is a new day and that there will be bumps in the road. The days I fall off the wagon are becoming less and less and each time I make my mini goal of a stone I feel better and better.

One other thing that's probably been mentioned before is that you need to teach yourself it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle and there will be no end. You'll never be able to go back to eating the way you were without putting the weight back on. But you can still have party nights and get togethers, it's just that healthy eating becomes the norm and blow outs become the exception. Rather than the other way round.
  • Storytella100
    Options
    Apud85 wrote: »
    Remember to take it one day at a time. If you mess up today, tomorrow is a new day. Don't beat yourself up over it. Also, if your end goal seems daunting, I think it helps to break up your weight loss goal into smaller milestones. It seems more attainable that way.

Good luck!! You have an adorable son.. such a great reason to be healthy!

This is great advice. Like OP I have a lot to lose and I so wish is found MFP at the beginning of the journey. I totally blew it yesterday and ended up over 2000 calories over maintenance. But thanks to the great advice all over MFP I now realise that today is a new day and that there will be bumps in the road. The days I fall off the wagon are becoming less and less and each time I make my mini goal of a stone I feel better and better.

One other thing that's probably been mentioned before is that you need to teach yourself it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle and there will be no end. You'll never be able to go back to eating the way you were without putting the weight back on. But you can still have party nights and get togethers, it's just that healthy eating becomes the norm and blow outs become the exception. Rather than the other way round.

Wow that's very touching and thank you very much
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    Hey OP, I started 3rd Jan and so far have lost 15.2 kgs (33lbs) with 25kgs to still go (55lbs). I'm so glad you have started on this journey and I wish you the best of luck. I hope the feeling you felt yesterday is the last time you feel it. I've had similar and it sucks, but believe me it does it much better as you go.

As everyone has said, buy a food scale, weigh and log everything regardless of what it is. Be honest, especially with yourself but the biggest advise I can give is forgive yourself when you slip up because you will. Learn from where you went wrong, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going. Don't give up and there are always people here to support you.

Good luck
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is no search in groups. Can you copy a link?

The first time I lost significant weight my children were about your boy's age. They were my biggest fans and would cheer for every pound lost. My son declared I was light as a feather and tried to lift me.

They are very happy for me this time too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Hi OP - saw this 30 Day Walking Challenge and thought it might be something that would interest you: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-30-day-walking-challenge/

If you are an "off the couch walker," Day One is 2,000 steps, which is about a mile. You can do it all at once or break it up into four 5 minute walks.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    eileensofianmushinfine Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone for your great words of wisdom. I'm not gonna lie tears came out of my eyes when I wasn't made fun of and people actually cared to encourage me.

making the decision to do this is, almost, the hardest part!! Use MFP's guidelines, log everything and you will see that you start looking at food in a different way. My best tips -- make regular time to exercise, get a trainer at a gym if you can afford it (this will help with motivation and accountability -- and they have expertise to help you work on cardio, core and strength training, Drink water -- lots and lots of water. If you're drinking soda -- let it go. Log everything -- the good, the not-so-good and the downright ugly.

Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. It's taken me 18 months to lose 45 pounds and drop 3 sizes.

And my personal favorite -- You GOT this!!!!

• Tucker145
    Tucker145 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to be. Just take your time, it will come off. Every week I see a pound come off. Slowly but surely. When we reach our limit, it's done. Helped for the first bit to go to bed. Even with a rumbly tummy. Soon, it stops bugging you. Kids are great. I can keep up now. I started jogging. Never in my life did I think it was possible. We have all been there. You can too. Just keep reading and writing. Soon enough you will have many new firsts, and lots of new clothes, mainly a happy healthy you.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There is no search in groups. Can you copy a link?

The first time I lost significant weight my children were about your boy's age. They were my biggest fans and would cheer for every pound lost. My son declared I was light as a feather and tried to lift me.

They are very happy for me this time too.

Here is the link
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/106259-phat-people-feelings

I joined as well because I really admire what you are doing for you and your boy and I want to see how you do and help if I can. You've received some great advice so far!