Is This dress too fancy for a weekend birthday pool party?

Options

Replies

• Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Super cute dress. Wear it with cute flip-flops, that dresses everything down and a pony tail or something. The only concern would be what the weather will be that day and if the fabric feels heavy.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    ok, I am not wearing it in profile pic (need to take it in a smidgeon, YAY!)

is it too fancy?

Unfortionately, yes.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    as for party, it's an all night party starting around dinner.

it's labelled as "pool" party as the hostess has pool and hottub and people usually jump in at some point.

the weather being what it is, I probably won't!

the house and grounds are very ritzy, the hostess will likely be wearing a designer gown that she will spill wine on at some point in the evening (gotta love her! my BFF from childhood!)

everyone else will be dressed in anything from jeans, bikinis, to CFM boots and 2 inch skirts.
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Just read your response....seems like the perfect dress, then. BTW you should have had those deets in the beginning! :flowerforyou:

Too "fancy" for a pool party, unless said party starts after 5:00 pm.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    The black, short, one with the pink shapes on it? It's cute, while I'm neither a woman, nor a drag queen, I'd think twice about a wearing a LBD to a pool party( even with the splash of pink)...unless the material is a little more sheer than it seems.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    It's a really, really lovely dress (and a great sale to boot), but it is quite dressy.

if you want one, I got it for 1/2 of the price on the website!

it's really nicely made!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Awesome dress, I'm a fan. But not what i would picture for a pool party/ BBQ type thing in the middle of the day.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    was going to ask if day or night party. since its' night i think it works just fine. if it was day then maybe not at much.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I think it's cute, put together and simple! Why not wear it, especially if it makes you feel good about yourself!

not sure yet.
    I'm very bad at clothing myself, and unfortunately often think something looks good when maybe it doesn;t?
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    It depends on the attendees at the party and where the party is. It's a cute dress.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Depends, I think you know best what the attendees will be wearing, if you feel that you might be self conscious, then maybe something a little more casual :)

This sounds like good advice to me. Either way, that is definitely a cute dress!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I guess I should have put "boobs" in the title, hmm?

:laugh:

Seems to be how it works! :wink:

So are people going to be swimming or is it like a cocktail/ reception type event that happens to be by a pool?
    Because too fancy for the former but not for the latter.

ETA it's really cute on you, so you definitely need to wear it somewhere! :flowerforyou:

thank you!
    I'm never sure what actually flatters me.
    I'm "blessed" with extra boobage which makes buying clothing impossible, especially dresses!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    It's VERY pretty- it's hard to know if it's too fancy without seeing it in person though. Sometimes the material makes a difference but I agree with what someone else said about finding out what other people are wearing. I did notice it's fully lined polyester though, which can be very hot so it might not be comfortable, physically, for a daytime outdoors event.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Honestly, I think it may be too fancy, even for an upscale venue. Try a cotton maxi dress with some nice sandals...
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Depends, I think you know best what the attendees will be wearing, if you feel that you might be self conscious, then maybe something a little more casual :)

This sounds like good advice to me. Either way, that is definitely a cute dress!

I'm not really sure what everyone will wear, in previous years I've seen a very eclectic mix! Hostess will be dressed to the nines in couture which she will inevitably ruin by the end of the night!

:laugh:

she is having a live band (U2 cover artists I think?) high class BBQ (chicken brochettes and sausages, instead of burgers. Quinoa instead of coleslaw)

does that help any?
  • TigressPat
    Options
    It's VERY pretty- it's hard to know if it's too fancy without seeing it in person though. Sometimes the material makes a difference but I agree with what someone else said about finding out what other people are wearing. I did notice it's fully lined polyester though, which can be very hot so it might not be comfortable, physically, for a daytime outdoors event.

I am wearing it in pic
    <
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Say yes to the dress!!

It's cute and sassy.

Perfect for the type of event and venue you've described.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If it's a night party you might be able to pull it off especially if you don't go overboard with accessories and choose a less dressy shoe. What are your friends wearing, that's always a good thing to check. That way at least if you all dress up a bit you won't be the only ones. Always better to be over-dressed than under-dressed.

Also - it would definitely be too dressy for a day pool party
  • coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    very cute but too much for a pool party
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Honestly, I think it may be too fancy, even for an upscale venue. Try a cotton maxi dress with some nice sandals...

had a cotton jersey maxi on at last weekend's bash, when I danced without shoes i kept stepping in it (oh the perils of weight loss and large boobs!)

think I want to go shorter this week.
    I'm somewhat limited for clothes dues to aforementioned boobs and weight loss.

I could probably fidn an elastic sundress somewhere, but I think I'd feel underdressed and possibly cold after the sun went down!