Is This dress too fancy for a weekend birthday pool party?

Options

Replies

• theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    There's no dressing it down. It's not that it's fancy, it's a cocktail dress. Not the correct function for it, unless the party is at night... If you really want to wear it, wear it, though. It's not like an evening gown or anything.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think the main question is will it make you feel great, or will you be self-conscious the whole time about being overdressed? If it were me - I'd probably go with something a little less formal. Cute dress, though!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Depends, I think you know best what the attendees will be wearing, if you feel that you might be self conscious, then maybe something a little more casual :)

This sounds like good advice to me. Either way, that is definitely a cute dress!

unfortunately I'm somewhat self-conscious in anything.

I usually get over it if a few people tell me I look good at the party and I have a drink or two!
    :drinker:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Depends, I think you know best what the attendees will be wearing, if you feel that you might be self conscious, then maybe something a little more casual :)

This sounds like good advice to me. Either way, that is definitely a cute dress!

I'm not really sure what everyone will wear, in previous years I've seen a very eclectic mix! Hostess will be dressed to the nines in couture which she will inevitably ruin by the end of the night!

:laugh:

she is having a live band (U2 cover artists I think?) high class BBQ (chicken brochettes and sausages, instead of burgers. Quinoa instead of coleslaw)

does that help any?

Then yes, I vote wear it! And it sounds so fun! Enjoy!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    There's no dressing it down. It's not that it's fancy, it's a cocktail dress. Not the correct function for it, unless the party is at night... If you really want to wear it, wear it, though. It's not like an evening gown or anything.

it IS at night!

starts at 5PM, goes until wee hours of the morning!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    I think the main question is will it make you feel great, or will you be self-conscious the whole time about being overdressed? If it were me - I'd probably go with something a little less formal. Cute dress, though!

honestly?

I have no idea.

I started this thread because I'm not much of a girly girl and have issues even dressing myself appropriately!

I'm pretty shy and self-conscious (at first at least) in all things.

If I went in a bikini, I'd hide all night. If I went in jeans and T-shirt I;d probably feel badly dressed, if I wore a sundress I;d probably get cold, or be tugging at it all night.

I THINK I like this dress, but as no one (except you guys!) has seen it on me yet, I'm not really sure about it yet.
  • TigressPat
    Options

I'm not really sure what everyone will wear, in previous years I've seen a very eclectic mix! Hostess will be dressed to the nines in couture which she will inevitably ruin by the end of the night!

she is having a live band (U2 cover artists I think?) high class BBQ (chicken brochettes and sausages, instead of burgers. Quinoa instead of coleslaw)

does that help any?

thank you!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options

does that help any?

thank you!

I change my vote, you gotta give us all the info. Yes, wear it and rock it.
  • TigressPat
    Options

does that help any?

thank you!

*lol*
    sorry!

the party sort of changes every year, and some people even bring several changes of clothing! I could do that I guess, but it seems kind of complicated!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Yeah. Little too fancy. If you love it, get it for something else though!

i got it already!
    I'm wearing it in profile pic!
  • TigressPat
    Options
    The black, short, one with the pink shapes on it? It's cute, while I'm neither a woman, nor a drag queen, I'd think twice about a wearing a LBD to a pool party( even with the splash of pink)...unless the material is a little more sheer than it seems.

not sheer, but does not look quite as prom-Y in person maybe?

I'm wearing it in current pic
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

it IS at night!

Then I vote that you wear it!
  • TigressPat
    Options

it IS at night!

someone would tell me if it looked really silly, right?

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's too fancy. There's really no way to "dress it down", either. I'd go with something more relaxed, like a cute flowy maxi dress or a hi-lo skirt with a tank top.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    Just read your response....seems like the perfect dress, then. BTW you should have had those deets in the beginning! :flowerforyou:

Too "fancy" for a pool party, unless said party starts after 5:00 pm.

yes, i should have!

sorry all!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options

it IS at night!

I would. :drinker:

Edited to say: it doesn't!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

does that help any?

thank you!

*lol*
    sorry!

the party sort of changes every year, and some people even bring several changes of clothing! I could do that I guess, but it seems kind of complicated!

...More complicated than starting a whole thread about it and asking for strangers' advice? :huh: Lol! J/k
  • TigressPat
    Options

it IS at night!

I would. :drinker:

Edited to say: it doesn't!

thank you, I appreciate honesty!

(I never shop with most of my female friends because they won't actually tell me when my a** looks fat in those jeans!)
    :flowerforyou:
  • TigressPat
    Options

does that help any?

thank you!

*lol*
    sorry!

...More complicated than starting a whole thread about it and asking for strangers' advice? :huh: Lol! J/k

lol
    no, I needed some shameless flattery from anonymous strangers!
    :wink:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    YES! And if you try to dress it down you defeat the whole purpose of the dress. Just wear it to some other occasion OR Make One!