Oh look

Options

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdd4e8hyvw1r6h22v.gif

heart disease is the leading cause of death in the country.
    people need to smoke more so they get lung cancer to bring it down
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's someone conflating correlation and causality again.

Except this time, there isn't even correlation.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    hmmm... meat and corn will kill me. got it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.

ETA: Is that 200 pounds of boneless meat per person in a year? I'm pretty sure I eat way more than that not including the 8 dozen eggs every week.

eggs are not meat

Then what are they, exactly? What food group do they fall in?
  • DatMurse
    Options
    hmmm... meat and corn will kill me. got it.

animal_protein_intake.jpg?w=510
    mi_and_chd.jpg?w=510
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options

However, correlation isn't causation; there's medical advances, a more abundant supply of food, cheaper food, even provision of food stamps to take into account.

^^^ Yup. More medical screenings, diagnostic testing, better understanding of disease processes, increased focus on preventive care, health insurance, access to care, better understanding of nutrition, vitamins, food safety regulations, work place safety regulations...
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Interesting that meat consumption is trending down as life expectancy is trending up.

No it isn't. The life expectancy graph ends at 2000. The meat consumption one a decade later. Like I said, compare the same period on both graphs.

And as has already been posted, that doesn't actually mean a great deal in isolation, anyhow. But at least I compared like with like.
    So you're trying to tell me that life expectancy isn't trending up, even though it's not listed on the OP's chart?
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Meat_consumption_vs_heart_disease.preview.JPG
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Interesting that meat consumption is trending down as life expectancy is trending up.

No it isn't. The life expectancy graph ends at 2000. The meat consumption one a decade later. Like I said, compare the same period on both graphs.

And as has already been posted, that doesn't actually mean a great deal in isolation, anyhow. But at least I compared like with like.
    So you're trying to tell me that life expectancy isn't trending up, even though it's not listed on the OP's chart?

No. I'm telling you to compare equal periods on the two graphs. Whilst your conclusions may be accurate or inaccurate, at least you'll be following good practice by taking information from the same timescale.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No. I'm telling you to compare equal periods on the two graphs. Whilst your conclusions may be accurate or inaccurate, at least you'll be following good practice by taking information from the same timescale.
    I learned how to read charts, circa sixth grade.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Aside from the fact that you are still conflating correlation with causality, line graphs are inappropriate for discrete data, as are trend lines.
  • DatMurse
    Options

Aside from the fact that you are still conflating correlation with causality, line graphs are inappropriate for discrete data, as are trend lines.

no you
  • DatMurse
    Options
    ice-cream-vs-drowning.jpg
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    By the way, I couldn't give a flying fudge what anyone believes about the affect of meat consumption on cardiovascular health. It just irks me when I see graphs and statistics misused (which is admittedly pretty much anytime someone uses graphs and/or statistics).

Though I note that you've not drawn any conclusions from your graphs, so perhaps you're just throwing them up to troll.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    ice-cream-vs-drowning.jpg

<looks back at diary from last two weeks>

Well that's me screwed. I'll be staying away from large bodies of water for a while.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Life_Span_Chart21.jpg
    highlights25_meatpercap.PNG[

Wow. I think this plays in (pun intended)

handedness2.png
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I call your meat consumption vs. life expectancy and raise you a # of pirates vs. global temperature.

r756pj.jpg

XD XD XD
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Life_Span_Chart21.jpg
    highlights25_meatpercap.PNG[

I'm looking at this and this doesn't make any sense. One has to do with life expectancy which increased due to better hygene and medication and second is meat consumption which just increased due to better medication for our livestock and mass production.

I love meat and all but this is the same as me saying "oh that pregnant woman looked at me. I'm now married to her and that baby is mine"
  • unhappygirl1987
    Options
    I LIKE GRAPHS

THEY R FUN AND MAKE ME FEEL MORE SMARTER THAN YEWWWWWWW

YAYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

However, correlation isn't causation; there's medical advances, a more abundant supply of food, cheaper food, even provision of food stamps to take into account.

^^^ Yup. More medical screenings, diagnostic testing, better understanding of disease processes, increased focus on preventive care, health insurance, access to care, better understanding of nutrition, vitamins, food safety regulations, work place safety regulations...

this. OP's post was a straw man