Hate photos of yourself? There's a good reason for that...

Options

Replies

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Oh, our brains, they think they run the joint. We are in the age of the selfie & it is useful online: I like seeing other's photo image because it's an expression of who they are; it's information. I hate when the real person image is missing; I find it disappointing not to have that visual info & a bit creepy. I def get sick of seeing my own face, and so I change it often. My sister had a theory that the image of ourselves we hate now, we will appreciate later, much later. Like it or not, I consider the self photo kind of an online courtesy and just try to have fun with it. I especially like when people's personalities are evident in the picture.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with pictures of myself as long as I take them. My husband, who used to have a photography hobby, cannot take a decent picture of me to save his life.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Something to think about: if you hate your picture because it is a mirror image of what you expect, how do you explain people hating their picture when they take a selfie while standing in front of a mirror and taking a picture?

9tpwku8joct6.gif

I don't mind my picture being taken. I'm only bothered when someone puts me up front because I'm short, or tries to get me to smile (I have sh** teeth).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Oh, our brains, they think they run the joint. We are in the age of the selfie & it is useful online: I like seeing other's photo image because it's an expression of who they are; it's information. I hate when the real person image is missing; I find it disappointing not to have that visual info & a bit creepy. I def get sick of seeing my own face, and so I change it often. My sister had a theory that the image of ourselves we hate now, we will appreciate later, much later. Like it or not, I consider the self photo kind of an online courtesy and just try to have fun with it. I especially like when people's personalities are evident in the picture.

It is interesting what you are saying. I don't use a real photo of myself on the internet much the same way that I don't use my real name for a username because I want to be more private. I only share real photos online with people I know outside of the internet. I never thought that would be creepy or disappointing to an internet stranger. Something to think about.
    I do choose an avatar or username to reflect my personality or interests.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hopefully no one finds me creepy either. In all honesty, when I'm not in the 'woe is me' mindset, I'm just a plain jane sort of gal. I don't need to go hide my face under a bag or anything, but I'm not someone that would particularly catch your eye at the same time.

I have to wonder if this also goes back to the idea that we are often our own worst critics. I have the same issue with artwork I create or stories I write. After some time, all I can see is the flaws - and I see myself more than I see anything else.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Lady_Grell wrote: »
    Hopefully no one finds me creepy either. In all honesty, when I'm not in the 'woe is me' mindset, I'm just a plain jane sort of gal. I don't need to go hide my face under a bag or anything, but I'm not someone that would particularly catch your eye at the same time.

I have to wonder if this also goes back to the idea that we are often our own worst critics. I have the same issue with artwork I create or stories I write. After some time, all I can see is the flaws - and I see myself more than I see anything else.

No offense intended, but you do sound overly critical of yourself with your replies in this thread.
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    No offence taken. I know I'm rather critical of myself at times. I'm trying to work on a healthier self-esteem as well as a healthier lifestyle. I'm sort of stuck on the couch today, which had led to me being a bit more down than usual.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

It is interesting what you are saying. I don't use a real photo of myself on the internet much the same way that I don't use my real name for a username because I want to be more private. I only share real photos online with people I know outside of the internet. I never thought that would be creepy or disappointing to an internet stranger. Something to think about.
    I do choose an avatar or username to reflect my personality or interests.

I post pics of myself for a limited time (not on here obviously, but on the one social media account with "strangers" on it). I didn't realize until a couple of years ago that people found it creepy that I didn't post any at all and were concerned that I was catfishing/trolling (or whatever the term would be).

But they're all pics I have taken. I hate the way I look and could count on one hand the number of flattering photos I've seen that others took.

It's weird though--I photographed a bunch of fellow volunteers and needed to put them online and was amazed at the number of people who made negative comments about their appearance. I get that we'd all like to be a little thinner and more attractive, but I truly never thought of these people as ugly or fat or dumpy. I probably would have described most of them with positive words. So I guess that's a comfort to all of us struggling with self-image.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Options
    Many people, when they see you IRL or in a photo are looking for what might appeal to them. (Not checking for "flaws"- our own brains have got that covered). Very likely, Someone will like what they see in each of us, despite our disbelief of it. We are all strangers up until we are not, you get a bit further along with some identifying features displayed. ; )
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Meh. I look like crap in every photo I take. Flipping it doesn't make it any better; I just look like crap in reverse. :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Many people, when they see you IRL or in a photo are looking for what might appeal to them. (Not checking for "flaws"- our own brains have got that covered). Very likely, Someone will like what they see in each of us, despite our disbelief of it. We are all strangers up until we are not, you get a bit further along with some identifying features displayed. ; )

I see what you're saying, but I'll happily take the trade-off of fewer followers in exchange for no public photos.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    [b/]As far as avatars go, I don't care what people post, but I hate the blank silhouette. To me, that's more creepy than whatever else they put.[/b]

I used to hate pictures of myself when I was fat. Now that I'm in maintenance, I still have problems seeing myself properly in mirrors. So, I've started taking pictures of myself when I'm clothes shopping. For some reason, in the picture I can see myself for what I really look like instead of just focusing on how large I look (which is what I usually see in the mirror). It's strange that I've accepted the photo image of myself, but my brain is still fighting the mirror image.

YES! Just find a picture of a cat or a flower you like on Google and smack it on there if you don't want your face on the internet! It would be so much nicer.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I'm the opposite. In this day and age, I find it creepy when someone insists they need to see a picture of someone. I suspect anyone who has dealt with any kind of cyberstalking situation would feel the same.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Options
    ^ If someone ever insists to see your real photo, when you clearly prefer not to have one, I agree, that would be creepy.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I'm the opposite. In this day and age, I find it creepy when someone insists they need to see a picture of someone. I suspect anyone who has dealt with any kind of cyberstalking situation would feel the same.
    I don't have a problem with people either using the default avatar or something other than themselves. What I want doesn't matter. I'm not the boss of other people. I am slightly disappointed when they don't turn out to be what their avatar is.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont mind pictures of myself. the more weight i lose, the more i like them in fact
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I remember reading this somewhere a long time ago so I could just be making it up at this point, but...

Re: the facial symmetry thing - apparently, making his face asymmetrical was one of the things they did to Wormtongue in the LotR movies to make him so off-putting and creepy.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I like pictures of myself. I'm a ham. lol And before anyone makes a comment:

1sp2ky66e7hz.png
  • TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    I remember reading this somewhere a long time ago so I could just be making it up at this point, but...

Re: the facial symmetry thing - apparently, making his face asymmetrical was one of the things they did to Wormtongue in the LotR movies to make him so off-putting and creepy.
    I read that they deliberately made it asymmetrical playing off a mole the actor naturally has. They made his eyes different shades of blue and thickened one eyelid. For me the creep-factor was the veins they airbrush painted on his face and the lack of eyebrows. But symmetrical faces do look weird.
  • TinyRaccoon19
    TinyRaccoon19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    e_j_wilson wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »

I read that they deliberately made it asymmetrical playing off a mole the actor naturally has. They made his eyes different shades of blue and thickened one eyelid. For me the creep-factor was the veins they airbrush painted on his face and the lack of eyebrows. But symmetrical faces do look weird.

But then I also read the actor doesn't have a mole so?