Is anyone else growing a garden?

Options
124»

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    Haha. No, because all cilantro should wilt up and die off this earth for good. LOL. I vomit if I taste it. No lie.
    There is some evidence that the dislike for the often-described soapy smell or taste of coriander/cilantro is due to a genetic variant in humans. I personally like it and use both the seeds and leaves often.
    A genetic survey of nearly 30,000 people posted to the preprint server arXiv.org this week has identified two genetic variants linked to perception of coriander, the most common of which is in a gene involved in sensing smells. Two unpublished studies also link several other variants in genes involved in taste and smell to the preference.
    Reference:
    nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I love gardening! This year I am growing blueberries, blackberries, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, sweet potatoes, thyme, mint, green beans, sweet cherries, and onions. Another thing I like to do is visit "pick your own" farms as well as the local farmers market to help support the local communities. Anyone who doesn't have room for a garden should look into picking your own or visiting their local farmers market.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes,cucumbers,bell peppers,banana peppers & radishes. Oh, and a few potatoes & onions. Wish I had more garden space.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce is great. I usually grow bell peppers, ghost peppers, maruga scorpions, tomatoes, watermelon, eggplant and some herbs. This year though with the drought in CA I have had to scale back some. All of the peppers I grow are amazingly resilient and don't need much so that's all I'm growing this year.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    mossiejoe wrote: »
    I am the Garden coordinator for our local community garden.... I have baby pak choy, kale, spinach ready. Peas, kohlrabi, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet and thai basil, swiss chard, tomatillos, onions are growing away. Very excited about harvest and all the new gardeners we have on board this year, Plus it's a kick *kitten* workout -weeding, watering, shoveling, raking, etc. Great stress reliever.
    Hooray for community gardens! Our world would be so much healthier if there were more of these. Green up otherwise neglected useless plots of land, provide fresh produce for the gardener and a great way to build community spirit.

• carakirkey
    edited May 2015
    Options

Haha. No, because all cilantro should wilt up and die off this earth for good. LOL. I vomit if I taste it. No lie.

I don't have space to grow squash but that would be my other must have. I love squash-butternut, spaghetti, acorn...any of them. Mmmm.

haha Yeah cilantro is a love or hate it herb. Haven't tried squash yet as I'm in a community garden plot and I've heard squash tends to get stolen :(
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Squash takes up a lot of space. You can train it to climb some things but I found it can be huge. I wouldn't use it in a community garden plot. Zucchini or perhaps there is a dwarf type squash plant? I've seen some nice garden plots where they use the middle for pole beans, sides of those for tomatoes, smaller things around. Nice use of the space.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »

I don't have space to grow squash but that would be my other must have. I love squash-butternut, spaghetti, acorn...any of them. Mmmm.

haha Yeah cilantro is a love or hate it herb. Haven't tried squash yet as I'm in a community garden plot and I've heard squash tends to get stolen :(

Depending on the type of squash, you might not care if some is stolen. One summer squash plant can usually provide enough for a family of four. I've had so much some years I couldn't give enough way. Luckily, I found a good pickled squash recipe.
  • carakirkey
    Options
    Squash takes up a lot of space. You can train it to climb some things but I found it can be huge. I wouldn't use it in a community garden plot. Zucchini or perhaps there is a dwarf type squash plant? I've seen some nice garden plots where they use the middle for pole beans, sides of those for tomatoes, smaller things around. Nice use of the space.

its my first year in the community garden so I'm paying attention to the other well established plots and how they maximize space. Lots have built vertical structures for things like squash to grow up. Love zucchini so maybe I can still fit in a plant in the corner. But i do know that both zucchini and squash can produce a lot, so good point @Need2Exerc1se I could just share with the neighborhood thieves ;)
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Pinterest has tons of good diagrams I found for trellis /vertical gardening (or pics). I would absolutely plant zucchini.

The community gardens here get stripped clean as well from thieves. (jerks)

Will you be using over the entire year? You can tuck in so many nice little things here and there. Herbs...chives, lots of itty bitty things. Ahhh wish I had one more plot to fill up :)
  • bbontheb
    Options
    Sorry, I refer to zucchini not summer squash...I meant squash as in winter squash like butternut, acorn, etc