Overcoming My Fear Of The Swimsuit

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
Yes, I am the lady who did the blog entitled 'Fear of A Swimsuit'. I was so afraid of having my plus size body exposed to the world in a swimsuit. I thought that it might cause nightmares for some folks and laughter or rude comments from others. Either way, it was a scary proposition for me. :noway:

Here is a link to that blog, if you are interested. It might speak to other folks with a fear of putting on a swimsuit for the first time in years.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Hanfordrose/view/terrified-of-a-swimsuit-540709

Well, this old girl finally took the plunge. Today, the first of 3 (yes THREE) swimsuits arrived in the mail; and it FITS. That was all that I needed. I put my 219 pound body into that new black swimdress and panties. Even though my upper arms are huge, and my thighs are fat and sagging...even though I am 68 years old and live most of my life sitting in a wheelchair...today I went swimming.

After more than 16 years, I got into a swimming pool...in my brand new swimdress; and I didn't care who saw me. That first moment in the water was priceless.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool01_zpsbc4c18cd.jpg?t=1371080169

I couldn't believe the freedom that I felt in the water.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool02_zps36f9789a.jpg?t=1371080287

The water felt so good on a hot day.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool03_zpse87c08e0.jpg?t=1371080280

I back stroked and breast stroked for more than 30 minutes; and amazingly, I had no pain in my worn out knees with all that effort. The water gave me the opportunity to move freely without taking any weight on my knees. This was an unbelievable feeling, after so long in wheelchair or only using a walker with pain.

This was truly a gift from God.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool04_zpsb4007a93.jpg?t=1371080272

After 45 minutes of swimming and some stretching in the pool, my hubbie and I took a dip in the spa to warm our old bones, before heading home. Of course, he had to get one picture of Mama wrapped up in a towel.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool05_zps60b70f4f.jpg?t=1371080304

This is one wet but very happy lady today. I will be returning to the pool as much as I can during this hot summer in the high desert. After all, I have 2 more swimsuits coming in the mail and no more fear of wearing them.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool06_zps6bb7741d.jpg?t=1371080262

...and here is the man who made it all possible...the love of my life...my sweetheart...my amazing hubbie Ed...Pastor Special Ed to those who know him and love him.

06-12-13FirstTimeinthePool07_zpsff7afd9f.jpg?t=1371080295

Ed told me that he had been looking forward to this day. He even said that going to the pool was 'way more fun with Mama' than by himself....perhaps, because he got to try and dunk me once. Of course, he failed. Mama is a much better swimmer, and I still out-weighs him...but not for long. :wink:

Replies

• naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a terrific feeling, ey? To have that freedom from pain is a wonderful thing! I imagine you'll be doing a lot of swimming! Good for you!
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! So happy that you had such an awesome day in the pool :smile:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Awesome! That's all I have to say. Just Awesome!!!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    :heart: You look sooo happy!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    To quote one of my favorite characters in a movie:

Just keep swimming!

This is awesome!
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Soooo happy for you!!! Keep up the good work. And you look fantastic in that pool !!
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I've been following your blog and I have to say, You are an amazing lady! You have such a wonderful outlook on life and it sounds like you have a wonderful husband too.

Enjoy your time in the pool, it's a great workout. And keep writing your blog, I do enjoy reading it:smile:
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    wooohooo !!congrats ! you look like you had an amazing time- your smile says it all ... :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: to you and your hubby!!:love::love:
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The joy on your face made my heart sing.
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    this story brought tears to my eyes.
    im so proud of the progress you have made and you looked wonderful out there today and im so happy that you have such a supportive husband, he seems like a great guy.

Also swimming is a wonderful workout. I do water aerobics when I can.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a wonderful gift from Our Father....... He does provide.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    You look so happy- radiant! I love your attitude. Life is to be lived! Today! :heart:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful...GOOD FOR YOU!! I didn't weigh much less than you when I decided I was going to go to the pool and exercise. And that's part of the reason I lost the weight I did. I am back in the pool again for the summer....best exercise and so much fun! Enjoy your summer by the pool and continued success!!
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! I am so excited for you. Those pics show how great that new freedom made you feel. Look at you burning those calories. Your new scale is going to get a workout!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations and well done on overcoming your fear! Keep it up!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, swimming is such good exercise, and you looked good in your new swimsuit... though I fear you will have to order some more as you lose weight!! I hope you have many happy times in that pool! And it will help so much to tone up the muscles!
  • teenytinii
    teenytinii Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    How wonderful ~ You look so happy <3
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! You look so happy!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous. You are having such a great time and I know from experience that you will do very well with the workouts you get in the pool. Spent lots of time in one after my first knee replacement. One word of caution. It felt so good that I would forget to get out and would overdo it. I didn't always do breast or crawl sometimes it was just a dog paddle and moving my legs. Great therapy. Don't have one near us now. I miss it.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Great going!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!