5 Foods that a Nutritionist recommends NEVER to eat after the age of 45

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    linette49 wrote: »
    No one should eat margarine. It's one molecule away from becoming plastic. I don't know about you but I will not willingly ingest plastic. Nothing natural about it. Google it for yourself .

And water is one molecule away from being hydrogen peroxide. That argument is ridiculous.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    No one should eat margarine. It's one molecule away from becoming plastic. I don't know about you but I will not willingly ingest plastic. Nothing natural about it. Google it for yourself .

And water is one molecule away from being hydrogen peroxide. That argument is ridiculous.

Came back to make this argument... See that it's already made. Carry on :D
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Huh. I've never eaten any of those 5 foods, and over the past 4 years or so I've gained 35 lbs... of fat. Pure fat. From not eating anything unhealthy, and eating "real" food per this nutritionist. Strange, isn't it?
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Sorry you guys, I honestly posted it before I realized how long it was and that she was promoting her program. Lesson learned.

Just beware in the future! Never trust anyone who calls themselves a nutritionist. Certified dietitian or bust. ;)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited May 2015
    MrM27 wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Don't you know that 100% of people that drink water die?

oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif

I'm going to take that to mean I should just drink wine exclusively.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Dear god that goes on and on! Still don't know what the supposedly evil foods are but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's b/s.

Artificial Sweeteners
    Orange juice
    whole wheat bread
    Soy milk
    Margarine

Thank you. I was interested, but not interested enough to watch a video.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    jddnw wrote: »
    Dear god that goes on and on! Still don't know what the supposedly evil foods are but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's b/s.

Artificial Sweeteners
    Orange juice
    whole wheat bread
    Soy milk
    Margarine

Thank you. I was interested, but not interested enough to watch a video.

She listed them at the beginning. That was as far as I got.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »

I do agree with staying away from trans fat, but what you said is frankly incorrect. Margarine is NOT a molecule. Margarine contains hydrolyzed fats. It's made from hydrogenation of vegetable oil. Vegetable oil have a a double bond, This double bond creates a 120 degree bend where the double bond is.. This bend makes it so when the molecules are stacked together they form a liquid, hence vegetable oils are liquid at room temperature. Saturated fats such as butter don't have this bend, they are more linear, the atoms are in 109.5 degree's in relatoin to each other. so they stack in more compact making them solid at room temperature.

Margarine is made by a processed where you get a vegetable oil and you get rid of this double bond. Making it more linear. This process is called hydrogenation. It stacks like butter. A byproduct of hydrogenation is converting the bend in vegetable oil(cis isomer) to a trans isomer. This results in trans fat in the margarine.

Hydrogenation.jpg

Notice the trans isomer on the right. That's a trans fat. Now compare that to Polypropylene(a certain type of plastic).

Isotactic-polypropylene-plan-3D-balls.png

not even close to a trans fat. The first picture was a 2d representation of a trans fat. you might have difficulty comparing the 2. So here is the 3d structure of the trans fat.

Vaccenic-acid-3D-balls.png

Thanks for the chemistry lesson. Good info.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Oh no, I have 5 years left before all the orange juice I drink now causes me to regain 15% of my body fat.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    A nutritionist is not a certified dietician. There is no scientist who would say that a food should be prohibited because of age. Well, maybe jello shots or Red Bull aren't often served in nursing homes.
    Say it aint so! :(

MY NURSING HOME HAD BETTER WELL HAVE GOOD BOOZE.

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Pu_239 wrote: »

I do agree with staying away from trans fat, but what you said is frankly incorrect. Margarine is NOT a molecule. Margarine contains hydrolyzed fats. It's made from hydrogenation of vegetable oil. Vegetable oil have a a double bond, This double bond creates a 120 degree bend where the double bond is.. This bend makes it so when the molecules are stacked together they form a liquid, hence vegetable oils are liquid at room temperature. Saturated fats such as butter don't have this bend, they are more linear, the atoms are in 109.5 degree's in relatoin to each other. so they stack in more compact making them solid at room temperature.

Margarine is made by a processed where you get a vegetable oil and you get rid of this double bond. Making it more linear. This process is called hydrogenation. It stacks like butter. A byproduct of hydrogenation is converting the bend in vegetable oil(cis isomer) to a trans isomer. This results in trans fat in the margarine.

Hydrogenation.jpg

Notice the trans isomer on the right. That's a trans fat. Now compare that to Polypropylene(a certain type of plastic).

Isotactic-polypropylene-plan-3D-balls.png

not even close to a trans fat. The first picture was a 2d representation of a trans fat. you might have difficulty comparing the 2. So here is the 3d structure of the trans fat.

Vaccenic-acid-3D-balls.png

Not all margarine uses hydrogenated vegetable oils. It used to be the case 20 years ago but since information on trans fats many major brands have gone away from hydrogenated oils and there are many smaller brands that have never used them. So to say all margarine has trans fats is just wrong.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Whittedo wrote: »
    Margarine: since back in the day when you squeezed the bag of oleo to mix in the colour (a Canadian thing) I have never been able to stomach this crap.

Not a Canadian thing -- a dairy industry thing. There was a time when you had to do this in the U.S., too, because the dairy industry lobbied for regulations barring the margarine manufacturers from selling it with the yellow color already mixed in, in the hopes of making it less appealing to consumers.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited May 2015
    saw that somebody else already said this
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Everything is changed to sugar by the body. That's how it's digested. And enough people said a nutritionist is not a licensed food professional.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Why eat margarine when you can have butter?
    Mmmmm....butter.... *drool*
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Artificial Sweeteners
    Orange juice
    whole wheat bread
    Soy milk
    Margarine

That's an odd list. I can get the sweeteners, orange juice and soy milk.

But why the bread? And margarine? What margarine. There are so many different margarines with different ingredients. Are they ALL supposedly bad just because of the label?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Sorry you guys, I honestly posted it before I realized how long it was and that she was promoting her program. Lesson learned.

Just beware in the future! Never trust anyone who calls themselves a nutritionist. Certified dietitian or bust. ;)

Every certified dietician I know calls themselves a nutritionist. And, thanks to a family member with a severe GI disorder, I know a few. Heck, even many nutrition scientists refer to themselves as nutritionists. While I agree that it's a good idea to check credentials, all nutritionists should not be discounted.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Whittedo wrote: »

Margarine: since back in the day when you squeezed the bag of oleo to mix in the colour (a Canadian thing) I have never been able to stomach this crap.

my grandma told me about that, she is american so I guess it is really an old person thing. That sounds weird.