Messed up my diet :(

Options
So my calorie count was going perfect until i thought eating a small bag of peanuts would do no harm then i realize that bag had like over 3,000 calories. How is that possible??? :(:(:(:(

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Nuts are very calorically dense. Weigh them on a food scale and pre-package them into baggies in the future if you want them available as a snack.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How did you get that 3000 calorie number?

EDIT: I ask because I can do some major damage to my calories/day with nuts but even a couple handfuls are well less than 3000 calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nuts are pretty calorie dense, so it's easy to go overboard on them if you don't portion them out. Chalk it up as a learning experience.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Hm, that doesn't sound like a small bag.
    But you didn't mess up anything, you just ate a bit more than you intended. Don't sweat it, just carry on as you were before.
  • aifos99
    aifos99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    walkdmc wrote: »
    The bar scan thing here. I didnt check first because i was like "its a small bag, wont have alot" BIG mistake. I guess now i know to be more careful!!
  • aifos99
    aifos99 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Nuts are pretty calorie dense, so it's easy to go overboard on them if you don't portion them out. Chalk it up as a learning experience.
    It's bearly my 3rd day on this diet and on this app. Good thing I realized this early!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your calorie count restarts tomorrow. :)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    When you are approaching nuts and seeds as a snack, use a measuring spoon, or swipe a bunch of plastic "ketchup cups" from a fast food place. Those are great for measuring out nuts. When I am wanting walnuts, I only have 2 whole nuts worth.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    nayis010 wrote: »
    The bar scan thing here. I didnt check first because i was like "its a small bag, wont have alot" BIG mistake. I guess now i know to be more careful!!

The barcode scan isn't always right. 3000 calories worth would not be a small bag. If you have the bag still, look at the weight on it, then look up how much that is in the database.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

The barcode scan isn't always right. 3000 calories worth would not be a small bag. If you have the bag still, look at the weight on it, then look up how much that is in the database.

Yes, that sounds like a lot. I too am thinking look up what MFP has the calories listed as. You might also look it up on 'fooducate', just to double heck.

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Good grief!! I can't hit the 'C' ? Or what. lol 'Double check'
  • Annr
    Options
    double heck :-)......I will say that to my teenage tonight!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That would be about 18 ounces of peanuts. Or around 3.5 cups. Was the bag that big?
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    you didnt mess up. as a recovering binge eater, and weight loss maintainer, I can tell you, I have gone above and beyond my daily calories more than once, and nothing bad happened. Just brush yourself off and keep on logging.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    and by above, I mean, like a thanksgiving dinner's amount of food on top of my daily calories. ;)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I think people assume the barcode scan has to be accurate, but those entries are often user generated and unreliable.

3000 calories' worth of peanuts is close to 4 cups and over a pound. If you didn't eat 3+ cups of peanuts, it's a database error.

• Annr
    Options
    4 cups of peanuts....I am mentally reaching for TUMS now....
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I just encountered an MFP database error tonight regarding restaurant food. Apparently, CHICKEN fajitas have no protein! Who knew?

You'll figure things out over time, OP, welcome!