Tips for bum/thigh workout that doesn't involve gymming?

fuerin
fuerin Posts: 8 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
5'11, 145 pounds but have ginormous thighs - abundant in cellulite and stretch marks xD I've read that it's not possible to spot reduce, but I REALLY don't want to lose weight off my upper body, so any suggestions for workouts that target the lower body more would be helpful. I don't have access to a gym so spinning isn't an option at the moment. That leaves me with squats, I guess, but any other fun suggestions out there? The only thing I do right now is ride my bike instead of using public transport, but that doesn't really count as intense exercise because of all the stopping and starting. Thanks! =)

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Google "strong curves pdf" to get the strong curves template. The third program listed is a bodyweight program that you should be able to do at home.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    fuerin wrote: »
    5'11, 145 pounds but have ginormous thighs - abundant in cellulite and stretch marks xD I've read that it's not possible to spot reduce, but I REALLY don't want to lose weight off my upper body, so any suggestions for workouts that target the lower body more would be helpful. I don't have access to a gym so spinning isn't an option at the moment. That leaves me with squats, I guess, but any other fun suggestions out there? The only thing I do right now is ride my bike instead of using public transport, but that doesn't really count as intense exercise because of all the stopping and starting. Thanks! =)

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

But you can't target where you lose. If you're in a deficit it'll come off wherever it wants.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    You just need to lose the fat. Running REALLY slims down most people's, or at least many people's, legs. When I started running my legs pretty quickly (like in a few weeks) looked noticeably slimmer. Over time, they developed a nice curvy but not bulky look.

In my case, when I later added sprints the quads actually got a little larger because the sprints built more muscle. But long, steady state runs don't have that effect on me...they just slim my legs down.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Jump lunges, walking lunges, frog squats, sissy squats, plies, jump tucks,.....................the list is pretty endless.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Walk briskly, running is bad on your knees and don't expect miracles. Hereditary in some cases means no matter how much you exercise you are still going to have large thighs, big butt, or big boobs. You can do something about things like big boobs; but little can be done about large thighs and butt without a lot of exercising. You say you bike in heavy traffic, stopping - starting. Find a nice bicycle trail and bike there or join a bicycle club and ride with them. Sorry I am not much help. I know a woman who had huge thighs and she underwent some sort of plastic surgery; but, that seemed pretty drastic; but, she looked better in her clothes. I think she underwent 'liposuction' or something like that. Are you really ready to take that chance with your life?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    The standard
    I've read that it's not possible to spot reduce, but I REALLY don't want to lose weight off my upper body, so any suggestions for workouts that target the lower body more would be helpful.

Not as helpful as a full-body strength program. Otherwise you'll end up weak & smaller up top and with a reduced metabolism from the loss of upper body muscle. You already know spot-reduction is a myth. I'd follow one of the popular strength programs here, like NROLFW and Stronglifts. Those require weights, so in the mean time, start with a bodyweight program, like Nerd Fitness. Keep it very challenging for best results. :+1:

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Embrace your thighs! Just sculpt them. Various squats, lunges, step-ups... can help define your legs. Also--I second the running.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I am trying to put on muscle and size right now, and one piece of advice I keep coming across is "if you want to build your lower body, avoid long distance running". If you are trying for the opposite, seems like distance running may be the way to go, as some other posters have mentioned.

Sprinting, squats and lunges, etc are good for strength and shaping the lower body, but won't make it smaller, and may make it bigger if you are eating at maintenance or a surplus (which I'd hope you are at 5'11" and 145 lb.)

If you don't want to lose any size up top, that's where I would recommend focusing your workouts, to build/maintain your muscle there. Don't neglect lower body, but emphasize the areas you want to grow.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I'm a little curious now after reading posts over the past few weeks. What is considered big for thighs? Is there an actual measurement causing the concern or is it more of a perception? Nothing against OP. Just curious because we get a post every few weeks or so claiming their thighs are so huge but the factors don't seem to add up.
  • baby_firefly_666
    baby_firefly_666 Posts: 192 Member
    Squats with weights has helped me tone up my legs a lot
  • fuerin
    Walk briskly, running is bad on your knees and don't expect miracles. Hereditary in some cases means no matter how much you exercise you are still going to have large thighs, big butt, or big boobs. You can do something about things like big boobs; but little can be done about large thighs and butt without a lot of exercising. You say you bike in heavy traffic, stopping - starting. Find a nice bicycle trail and bike there or join a bicycle club and ride with them. Sorry I am not much help. I know a woman who had huge thighs and she underwent some sort of plastic surgery; but, that seemed pretty drastic; but, she looked better in her clothes. I think she underwent 'liposuction' or something like that. Are you really ready to take that chance with your life?

Thanks for the advice! I understand the limits of heredity and I will probably always be bottom heavy- I'm fine with that. I just have a lot of excess fat on my thighs that I'd like to get rid of, at least partially. I've been on a few bike rides over hilly trails, just haven't managed to make a habit of it yet, but hopefully I will get there ^^
  • fuerin
    Pu_239 wrote: »

You sound a little confused. You say you know you can't spot reduce, you mention you have really big thighs( i believe you don't like them). BUT you want a BUM/THIGH workout. Seriously what's the point, what do you expect it will do???

If by a lucky chance you do build some muscle from this workout(which is highly unlikely) it will make your thighs BIGGER. It appears you store fat in the lower body area mostly. If you lose weight, the first place it's likely to come off is your lower body making them SMALLER. The workout you're asking for has partially no effect on your goals.

Hmm, yes, I see your point about not being very clear, I'm just new to all the fitness jargon. =P What I meant is that I want to lose more FAT off my thighs...I understand that a workout will build muscle and increase size, which I'm fine with as long as the fat melts off and I'm less flabby.

Unfortunately, my bottom half doesn't give up fat easily even if it's the place I store most of it. I used to weigh ~175, and the weight I lost came disproportionately off my upper half ( especially boobs =( ), leaving me even more pear-shaped than before. Hence the request for a targeted workout- I guess I'm still hopeful that there's some magical way to melt flab off specific areas even if everyone says otherwise =P
  • fuerin
    If you don't want to lose any size up top, that's where I would recommend focusing your workouts, to build/maintain your muscle there. Don't neglect lower body, but emphasize the areas you want to grow.

Good point! I'll keep it in mind. =)
  • fuerin
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    I'm a little curious now after reading posts over the past few weeks. What is considered big for thighs? Is there an actual measurement causing the concern or is it more of a perception? Nothing against OP. Just curious because we get a post every few weeks or so claiming their thighs are so huge but the factors don't seem to add up.

Yeah, it's pretty much perception. :P I'm unhappy with mine mainly because the mass is made of fat as opposed to healthy, strong muscle. Hence the issues with cellulite and so on. Also, they're even wider than my hips, which is another thing that bothers me, from a purely aesthetic point of view.

• fuerin
    also pear shape women loses weight...

bf98106b4b570a86443b8bd34b64e685.jpg

so just focus on working out your body, it will even out eventually.

Wow, that's some transformation! So is yours, very inspirational =)
  • meexwalks
    meexwalks Posts: 14 Member
    Like you, my thighs are the last place I lose fat. I've decided not to dwell on it, and I am focused on weight training all over, and trying to keep my diet on track. The thighs are coming around, but I am also noticing strength and definition differences in my shoulders, arms and abs, which I am celebrating while I wait for the rest (thighs) to follow :)

Feel free to add me, as I feel like we are in the same boat.
  • meexwalks
    meexwalks Posts: 14 Member
    Here's one of my favourite lower body workouts (don't let the title scare you :) )-- it combines strength, HIIT cardio, and pilates. It's 52 minutes long but the way it's structured makes it feel shorter and less boring :)https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/strength-hiit-and-pilates-workout-for-a-bigger-butt-and-strong-legs-lower-body-burnout
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Run, lift, eat at a deficit. Repeat until awesome. Most likely your upper body will continue to shrink as well, but that's life. You have to lose fat to lose fat :smile:

I'm pretty much in training bras by the time my legs lean out. AND I still have cellulite (although not as pronounced). If you want those legs to look good you must lift (or at least strength training) as well as cardio. I highly recommend hiit running and everything ninerbuff mentioned. Your whole body will get smaller as you lose. But, more importantly, you'll start losing the flab and get tighter legs of you workout.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited May 2015
    also pear shape women loses weight...

bf98106b4b570a86443b8bd34b64e685.jpg

so just focus on working out your body, it will even out eventually.

I think she might have had some surgical assistance up top. Nothing's wrong with that.

But the reality is if you're a pear, you definitely will lose on your upper half, and well before your thigh stuff goes, too.

I don't think being a lean pear is a terrible look, though. Keeping your muscle wherever you can will give you shape.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Google "strong curves pdf" to get the strong curves template. The third program listed is a bodyweight program that you should be able to do at home.

and this.

Cycling is great (it's made a difference for me, which I've lost from forced inactivity again but am getting back :) ) and apparently it interferes less with muscle recovery than running. Walking is something you could do any time.