Is Your Metabolism Working Against You? For those that have not seen this.

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    green tea is being looked at for reasons other than caffeine (ie polyphenols)

http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/2/129.abstract

http://www.jissn.com/content/12/1/1

there's some evidence for all those recommendations, i don't know why everyone here freaks out whenever someone suggests eating more vegetables.

with that said, taking all that advice on board at once is going to make at least some people gastrically uncomfortable.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

there's some evidence for all those recommendations, i don't know why everyone here freaks out whenever someone suggests eating more vegetables.

with that said, taking all that advice on board at once is going to make at least some people gastrically uncomfortable.

Like others said, eating more vegetables is great, but the reasoning the article gave for eating said vegetables was misinformation.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

No one is freaking out with a suggestion to eat more vegetables - if they have I missed it - could you point me to all these posts?.

Re green tea: there is also some evidence for not bothering with them. The second study linked did not have a caffeine control. One of the ones I linked did. The first one links to an abstract that does not give much details, but does conclude "However, to date, evidence from human studies to support these adaptations is lacking. Clearly, more studies have to be performed to elucidate the effects of GTE on fat metabolism as well as improve our understanding of the underlying mechanisms."

My point being - it seems to be given a lot of weight in the article for some not very well supported or clear/meaningful benefits.

I am not saying not to use it - its not exactly a bother (unless you do not like it) or spendy - but lets not give it too much weight on affecting your metabolism.
  • tomatoey
    Options

Like others said, eating more vegetables is great, but the reasoning the article gave for eating said vegetables was misinformation.

What misinformation? It's not like nutrition's a settled science. There is evidence for some things, other evidence against, hopefully over time it'll work itself out. The author alluded to particular studies. She didn't cite them because (annoyingly) it's not the convention in magazine writing (though that would have been better, of course).
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

No one is freaking out with a suggestion to eat more vegetables - if they have I missed it - could you point me to all these posts?.

Re green tea: there is also some evidence for not bothering with them. The second study linked did not have a caffeine control. One of the ones I linked did. The first one links to an abstract that does not give much details, but does conclude "However, to date, evidence from human studies to support these adaptations is lacking. Clearly, more studies have to be performed to elucidate the effects of GTE on fat metabolism as well as improve our understanding of the underlying mechanisms."

My point being - it seems to be given a lot of weight in the article for some not very well supported or clear/meaningful benefits.

I am not saying not to use it - its not exactly a bother (unless you do not like it) or spendy - but lets not give it too much weight on affecting your metabolism.

I just meant the culture of the forum in general is inclined to veggie freakouts. Very often, suggesting attending to nutrition is met with derision.

Green tea: yeah, I don't think anything's definitive on that yet, but there's been a lot of work so far. I've also read though (can't find the study, might be the same one the author used) that the minimum amount that made a difference was 5 cups a day. I don't know who's going to go for it, but hey, if they're up for it, why not.

Yeah these kinds of articles do tend to make firm recommendations based on on one or two studies per point, that's just what health magazines do. Still, it's not like she's promoting anything actively harmful. On the contrary
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Haha. I meant health "websites". Forgot what year it was, lol

But this is a whole subgenre of popular health writing, got to take it for what it is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I just meant the culture of the forum in general is inclined to veggie freakouts. Very often, suggesting attending to nutrition is met with derision.

Green tea: yeah, I don't think anything's definitive on that yet, but there's been a lot of work so far. I've also read though (can't find the study, might be the same one the author used) that the minimum amount that made a difference was 5 cups a day. I don't know who's going to go for it, but hey, if they're up for it, why not.

Yeah these kinds of articles do tend to make firm recommendations based on on one or two studies per point, that's just what health magazines do. Still, it's not like she's promoting anything actively harmful. On the contrary

No I don't get that vibe

What I get is kickback against the pervasive you must eat ONLY these types of foods and must NEVER eat these things. And the inevitable ridiculousness of the strawman " live on Twinkies only" diet vs "eat your vegetables"

When people spout crap and rules about "good nutrition" and incorporate their sugar is debil, carbs are bad and only whole foods rules they deserve to have the truth pointed out to them

The truth being that others have found a way that ensures good nutrition and no food demonisation

I actual think the "harm" is in the psychological build up of every journalistic story, diet book and plan being around the edges of weight loss with marginal impact. Making people ignore the big fundamentals in favour of the minutiae which may, or may not, have adequate scientific backing

So I'm grateful for every single MFPer who has made me realise that when one gets the CICO and macros right, looks to the micros and ensures adequate overall nutrition...the outskirts are totally up to you and if you choose to focus on boosting / supplementing / miracle fooding rather than ice cream and crisps then that's your decision.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Perhaps you should make it clear you are referring to the forums and not the thread specifically, however, that being said, I have not seen these posts you refer to. I have seen a lot of posts that point out that you do not have to eat nutritionally dense foods all the time - that 'treats' are fine in moderation.

My issue with the article, is that while there is nothing directly harmful, misinformation (either by way of false facts or implying greater importance) can actually detrimental to someone as a whole. Just because an article is not promoting something actively harmful does not mean its a good or necessarily beneficial.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So the old school idea that beans are starches and should not be used much if you are trying to lose weight, is now being replaced with the fact they are high in protein and rich in fiber... I love beans and lentils myself, so should I really add more to my diet? I have been using them rarely and miss them when I am not eating them. I consider myself to be somewhat active, as I work out 3x a week and walk when I am not at the gym. According to MFP I should list myself as sedentary. If I say I am semi active, it shoots my caloric need up to 17xx calories a day! I can't eat that much in a day, no way.
  • tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options

Perhaps you should make it clear you are referring to the forums and not the thread specifically, however, that being said, I have not seen these posts you refer to. I have seen a lot of posts that point out that you do not have to eat nutritionally dense foods all the time - that 'treats' are fine in moderation.

My issue with the article, is that while there is nothing directly harmful, misinformation (either by way of false facts or implying greater importance) can actually detrimental to someone as a whole. Just because an article is not promoting something actively harmful does not mean its a good or necessarily beneficial.

Re bolded - I don't disagree with that general point, but I don't see anything in the suggestions that is not beneficial in some way (other than potentially the green tea, which is at worst a net neutral. But again, I have a hard time imagining anyone actually taking that up).

And there is evidence, more than the studies alluded to, that the recommendations made might actually be beneficial in the ways proposed.

She could have been more equivocal, but I think that too is just part of the way those things are written
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I'm all for people selling books, but what you have to realize is that conservative mode doesn't happen without a decrease in activity. When faced with fewer calories, some people respond by sitting around more, while others keep doing most of what they normally do. It isn't so much a metabolism problem as much as it is an attitude problem.

Ahhhh, okay this I understand. :)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    WTF is a pulse...I'm pretty sure I don't want to eat that.
    I find green tea disgusting
    Sorry OP but this article is horse hockey.
    WTF is a pulse...I'm pretty sure I don't want to eat that.
    I find green tea disgusting
    Sorry OP but this article is horse hockey.

Just beans, legumes, and peas!

Actually, it's when you eat the heart of your weight loss rival, and absorb their progress into your own body.

Oh wow! Hehe looks like I will be changing tomorrow's menu.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited May 2015
    Options

Re bolded - I don't disagree with that general point, but I don't see anything in the suggestions that is not beneficial in some way (other than potentially the green tea, which is at worst a net neutral. But again, I have a hard time imagining anyone actually taking that up).

And there is evidence, more than the studies alluded to, that the recommendations made might actually be beneficial in the ways proposed.

She could have been more equivocal, but I think that too is just part of the way those things are written

I think you are missing my point. Majoring in the minors. It can lead to adherence and sustainability issues, especially when the article leads them to believe that there will be a greater impact than there actually is.

The points are not all benign, depending on the context and how people read them.

Which 'alluded to' studies are you referring to?

And people do a lot of things that have not shown to be effective because they read something somewhere (or heard it on Dr Oz).
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Is Your Metabolism Working Against You? 6 Simple Ways to Boost It

Eat more produce
    We all know that veggies and fruits are nutrient rich, but research shows they may also impact leanness, due to their ability to help preserve metabolism-boosting muscle. In one study, University of Florida researchers found that when two groups consumed the same number of daily calories, those who ate more plant-based foods had smaller waist circumferences, and lower body fat percentages. Aim to eat produce at every meal. One simple formula is to include one serving of fruit in every breakfast and snack, and two serving of veggies in each lunch and dinner.
    eh? How exactly does a carrot preserve muscle?
    Eat more pulses
    You know about beans—black, red, white…well, pulses are a unique food group that includes beans, as well as peas, like chickpeas, and split peas, and lentils. I made a daily dose of pulses a key strategy in the weight loss plan in my new book Slim Down Now, in part because they’re so filling, nutrient rich, and gluten free, but also because of their impact on metabolism. A review published in the British Journal of Nutrition concluded that pulses increase calorie and fat burning, and help reduce visceral fat, the deep internal belly fat known to up the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. To bolster your metabolism, include a half cup of a pulse in one of your daily meals, like a side of black beans with your veggie avocado omelet, lentils in your lunch salad, oven-roasted chickpeas or hummus in a snack, or white bean and kale soup at dinner. You can even incorporate pulses into desserts!
    Ah, there we go.
    Cynthia Sass is a registered dietitian and Health’s contributing nutrition editor. She privately counsels clients in New York, Los Angeles, and long distance, and is the sports nutrition consultant to the New York Rangers NHL team and the New York Yankees MLB team.
    I see.

Wonder what she's trying to promote here? ;)

Some of the points she raises are interesting and some are known to be fairly valid... the caffeine thing with exercise for example, however I would absolutely lose to see the references for the majority of these claims she is making to see what's really behind these studies she quotes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    physioprof wrote: »
    LOL...okay, random person on the internet. I concede that you know more than those of us with advanced degrees and research experience in human metabolism. You win! It's all a myth we perpetuate just to mess with folks. I'm eagerly awaiting your next manuscript.

Ooh, look kids, this logical fallacy is called "the appeal to authority".

Ah, so now everyone's opinions are equally valid regardless of area of expertise? Great, I'll just bring my car to my neighbor next time the Check Engine light comes on. Can you go ahead a prescribe me something for allergies? Also, I need someone to administer some vaccination boosters to my dog. So if you have a minute...then I wouldn't need to go to a vet.

You can rant about my "opinons" all you want, and wave your degree and credentials at me until you're blue in the face, but you still have no rebuttal to the questions I have about those studies.

And that's what they are at this point: questions.

There are methods employed in those studies to lose weight that are not in line with how a lot of real life people on these boards go about losing weight. I'd like to see findings correlative to that to extrapolate something meaningful.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Green tea could be declared the most super of all supreme superness.

It's still gross and I wouldn't drink it.

I don't see anyone freaking out over the idea of eating more veggies. I just see the idea of eating them as a solution to permanently raising your metabolic rate being questioned.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    LOL...okay, random person on the internet. I concede that you know more than those of us with advanced degrees and research experience in human metabolism. You win! It's all a myth we perpetuate just to mess with folks. I'm eagerly awaiting your next manuscript.

Ooh, look kids, this logical fallacy is called "the appeal to authority".

Ah, so now everyone's opinions are equally valid regardless of area of expertise? Great, I'll just bring my car to my neighbor next time the Check Engine light comes on. Can you go ahead a prescribe me something for allergies? Also, I need someone to administer some vaccination boosters to my dog. So if you have a minute...then I wouldn't need to go to a vet.

You can rant about my "opinons" all you want, and wave your degree and credentials at me until you're blue in the face, but you still have no rebuttal to the questions I have about those studies.

And that's what they are at this point: questions.

There are methods employed in those studies to lose weight that are not in line with how a lot of real life people on these boards go about losing weight. I'd like to see findings correlative to that to extrapolate something meaningful.

Did I miss where she actually provided her credentials? Or was it merely the mere hint that her username physioprof may mean she has some type of scientific authority and papers published

I'd like you @physioprof to clearly state what your credentials and life experience are as it seems you have suggested that others part in this discussion and their questions are is in some way less valid than your own

• tomatoey
    edited May 2015
    Options

I think you are missing my point. Majoring in the minors. It can lead to adherence and sustainability issues, especially when the article leads them to believe that there will be a greater impact than there actually is.

The points are not all benign, depending on the context and how people read them.

Which 'alluded to' studies are you referring to?

And people do a lot of things that have not shown to be effective because they read something somewhere (or heard it on Dr Oz).

so the University of Florida paper she alluded to (why did you put that in quotes?) but did not name is this one:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-277X.2009.00987.x/abstract?deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

sorry here (just copy/pasting, sorry for formatting)

Relationship of the dietary phytochemical index to weight gain, oxidative stress and inflammation in overweight young adults

Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics

Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 20–29, February 2010

H. K. Vincent1, C. M. Bourguignon2 andA. G. Taylor2

Article first published online: 4 SEP 2009

DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-277X.2009.00987.x

and it's of course correlational and there are probably many third variables, and it was short. etc.

the idea, though is that it oxidative stress can affect cardiometabolic function

eg
    http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cvp/2013/00000011/00000006/art00010
    http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2012/960427/abs/
    www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1743-7075-9-108.pdf (pdf)

and that polyphenols (in plant based foods, eg) can mitigate this stress

here is a google scholar search on related terms for more

true, people can go nutty with bits of information. this person is just saying "eat more fruit and veg", though. it's hard to imagine anything more benign.

as far as "majoring in the minors" - maybe the % change in metabolic rate isn't massive. but increasing fiber through fruits and veg, getting those micronutrients in, etc., isn't minor with regard to weight loss more generally. it's a pattern of eating that's been associated with long term weight loss success in many studies

however i am done digging up studies for today, if that's ok :)