Is Your Metabolism Working Against You? For those that have not seen this.

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    1kybb2.jpg
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Then I would take the red pill and the blue pill at the same time and see what happened? :D
  • gothchiq
    Options
    The caffeine just makes a lot of people feel better. A little boost can make a big difference in your workout experience imho. More pleasant to do, so you're more likely to keep at it. IDK about the whole "pulses" thing because I'm prediabetic and thus have to be really careful about how many carbs I eat at a time, and how many I eat in total as well. Those pulses are starchy which makes me have to limit them no matter how good they taste. :( So I can't experiment with that as much as others might. I was told to eat whole grains because the glycemic index is lower and those things stay in your digestive system longer, keeping you feeling satisfied longer, not to mention fiber and regularity. IDK, have some of the pulses, have some whole grains. and of course good ol' protein. People are always writing books and looking to make "breakthroughs" and names for themselves but if you stick to certain nutritional guidelines, pretty much what your doctor will tell you to do, and mind your calories and work out, you'll improve your health overall.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Caffeine being a stimulant would help increase heart rate and provide a boost to physical activity. It's been used in diet pills for years because of that. That doesn't mean it has a large enough effect to be of practical effective use, and the dose where it would be a significant boost would probably be dangerous to people.

As for produce and whole foods vs processed foods, I'd wonder if sodium content isn't a factor and if they controlled for that. Honestly, I don't see anything in the OP's article's suggestions that is way off-base or magical, but they don't connect the dots between those suggestions and eating at a deficit to achieve weight loss.

Regarding the produce v processed foods the increase was with regard to DIT (or TEF) - thermogenic effect of food. The conclusions in the article are misleading imo (assuming I am not reading the study incorrectly) - the 50% difference was the postprandial amount of energy expenditure above BMR - not as the article implies - burning 50% more in total. The study was very limited - a single meal

And that is my issue with all of the points made - a lack of context given so that the impact is over-stated - or at least, people reading it will think that the impact is more significant than it actually is.

Using your comment re connecting the dots - the list of 'metabolism boosters' also does not seem to be connected to the initial discussion regarding diet induced thermogenesis.

The studies also seem to have some confirmation bias. For example, the green tea one - there are quite a few studies that show there to be no or minimal impact over and above just basis caffeine:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20725062

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19445822

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20372175

• physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    physioprof wrote: »
    LOL...okay, random person on the internet. I concede that you know more than those of us with advanced degrees and research experience in human metabolism. You win! It's all a myth we perpetuate just to mess with folks. I'm eagerly awaiting your next manuscript.

Ooh, look kids, this logical fallacy is called "the appeal to authority".

Ah, so now everyone's opinions are equally valid regardless of area of expertise? Great, I'll just bring my car to my neighbor next time the Check Engine light comes on. Can you go ahead a prescribe me something for allergies? Also, I need someone to administer some vaccination boosters to my dog. So if you have a minute...then I wouldn't need to go to a vet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Wow...that was some edit!!
  • gothchiq
    Options
    I totally missed something, didn't I? big ol edit? Green tea = caffeine, guarana, all that stuff, same deal.... it just gives you a little boost so you feel more energetic for your workout. I guess I'm accustomed to articles, books, etc overstating the value of certain foods or nutritional elements. I feel like the idea of balance is ultimately going to do the most good for the most people. Right now many ppl's diets are way, way out of balance with their needs and folks don't even know where to start. Sometimes I wonder if the book and article publishers are trying to make it easy so that people can stick to the program and not give up, and so they oversimplify things, or if they are just out to make money by claiming something "new" that totally isn't new and by making mountains out of molehills nutritionally. I tend to do the eyeroll about foods that are claimed as "metabolism boosters." That just ain't right. Those foods may be nutrient rich but it's not like they're going to do the workout for you. :P
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Ooh, what did we miss?? I'm guessing major snark.
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Options

50% reduction in snark.

It's important to be critical, but some of this is just ridiculous. At least you posted some articles.

The thing is, the main points of the article --drink more water, choose less processed foods with more fiber, ingest caffeine--that's all sound advice. Multiple studies have been done in rodents using processed versus standard chow with a variety of macronutrient ratios, and the processed diets are more obesogenic. Obviously processing the food--I mean mechanically and chemically to make it more digestible--reduced the TEF. Applying it to humans, it's really about activating satiety centers by way of distension and chemical signals, hence increasing the volume of food without increasing caloric density, and providing things like fiber and protein. Caffeine is a stimulant, and just because EGCG is only *as* effective as caffeine doesn't make it *ineffective*. If you read the analysis on these articles, the authors plainly state that these effects need to be cumulative, which is what I stated above. One dose isn't going to do anything. But repeated bouts--just like exercise--can have an additive effect.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1kybb2.jpg

Awesome!! Saved to desktop for future use :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited May 2015
    Options

50% reduction in snark.

It's important to be critical, but some of this is just ridiculous. At least you posted some articles.

The thing is, the main points of the article --drink more water, choose less processed foods with more fiber, ingest caffeine--that's all sound advice. Multiple studies have been done in rodents using processed versus standard chow with a variety of macronutrient ratios, and the processed diets are more obesogenic. Obviously processing the food--I mean mechanically and chemically to make it more digestible--reduced the TEF. Applying it to humans, it's really about activating satiety centers by way of distension and chemical signals, hence increasing the volume of food without increasing caloric density, and providing things like fiber and protein. Caffeine is a stimulant, and just because EGCG is only *as* effective as caffeine doesn't make it *ineffective*. If you read the analysis on these articles, the authors plainly state that these effects need to be cumulative, which is what I stated above. One dose isn't going to do anything. But repeated bouts--just like exercise--can have an additive effect.

I do not have an issue with most of the points (the green tea one is dubious), it's the weight the article implies that irritates me. It makes no mention of other significant factors - exercise being one.

I totally agree with the caffeine comment, which is why I did not call that one out - however, the article noted that EGCG was more effective than caffeine - and there are studies that indicate it is not.

While I agree with the fact that increasing volume can increase satiety, that is not the topic of the article.

Could you link the studies you note - I would be interesting in having a look.

My other issue is - as the effects are basically overstated in the way that the article is written, people could focus on these, at the detrimental effect of things that are more helpful - adherence and sustainability. It's focusing on the 1% when most people should focus on the 99%.

ETA: I did not read the article the same way as you obviously - I did not see them 'plainly state' that the 'effects' need to be cumulative. It just seemed like the usual article with links all over the place to other articles from the same author. However, at least the studies the author referred to were linked.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I totally missed something, didn't I? big ol edit? Green tea = caffeine, guarana, all that stuff, same deal.... it just gives you a little boost so you feel more energetic for your workout. I guess I'm accustomed to articles, books, etc overstating the value of certain foods or nutritional elements. I feel like the idea of balance is ultimately going to do the most good for the most people. Right now many ppl's diets are way, way out of balance with their needs and folks don't even know where to start. Sometimes I wonder if the book and article publishers are trying to make it easy so that people can stick to the program and not give up, and so they oversimplify things, or if they are just out to make money by claiming something "new" that totally isn't new and by making mountains out of molehills nutritionally. I tend to do the eyeroll about foods that are claimed as "metabolism boosters." That just ain't right. Those foods may be nutrient rich but it's not like they're going to do the workout for you. :P

Caffeine has been shown to boost your metabolism outside exercise. However, the direct effect is minor. The biggest impact is the one you mention - the increased energy and therefore better workouts, which in turn increases your TDEE.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Ooh, what did we miss?? I'm guessing major snark.

lol...it was more a comment about the post being totally rewritten - normally posts are edited to fix grammar or reduce snark, but the meat stays the same.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    LOL...okay, random person on the internet. I concede that you know more than those of us with advanced degrees and research experience in human metabolism. You win! It's all a myth we perpetuate just to mess with folks. I'm eagerly awaiting your next manuscript.

Ah, so now everyone's opinions are equally valid regardless of area of expertise? Great, I'll just bring my car to my neighbor next time the Check Engine light comes on. Can you go ahead a prescribe me something for allergies? Also, I need someone to administer some vaccination boosters to my dog. So if you have a minute...then I wouldn't need to go to a vet.

The point... you're completely missing it.

You're dismissing mamapeach as some random person on the Internet, but guess what? That's all you are. And it isn't like anyone has ever misrepresented themselves or information on the Internet. /sarcasm

Also, the ability to read and interpret studies doesn't require official fancy book learnin'. So, you're just coming off as a pompous know-it-all stranger on a message board.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

50% reduction in snark.

Wish I'd seen it, as now I don't know if it was aimed at me.
    The thing is, the main points of the article --drink more water, choose less processed foods with more fiber, ingest caffeine--that's all sound advice.

You are missing the point. If the reasons given are false or misleading, that's incredibly important. I think eating veggies is great, but telling people (hypothetically) that it will double their metabolism or burn fat or that they can't lose weight without doing so are all lies, and the fact that eating veggies is good for other reasons (nutrition, fiber, satiation in many) does NOT justify the lie.

That's why merely saying it's not bad advice doesn't justify a claim that doing certain things speeds up metabolism. The question is whether it speeds up metabolism, and so far I'm not seeing actual evidence that any of these things do (as discussed in my post and with the exception of caffeine for a time). (Varying TEF is somewhat different an an effect on metabolism in my mind, although a real thing, also as discussed in my post.)

Also, there are serious limits on how much "drink more caffeine" is good advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if the book and article publishers are trying to make it easy so that people can stick to the program and not give up, and so they oversimplify things, or if they are just out to make money by claiming something "new" that totally isn't new and by making mountains out of molehills nutritionally. I tend to do the eyeroll about foods that are claimed as "metabolism boosters." That just ain't right. Those foods may be nutrient rich but it's not like they're going to do the workout for you. :P

I'm in a cynical mood, perhaps, but I think the making money/mountains out of molehills point is the right one, or why claim something that's beyond what's actually true. Nutrition is really just common sense and not nearly so complicated as people like to try to make it, and I think most people already know what they should do. Eating a balanced meal with some protein and veggies and don't eat too much, especially not of low nutrient foods, is simply way more boring than "eat these 5 super foods with magic properties!" Between the threads from people scared of fruit or convinced they must cut out stuff because they watched some dumb documentary and the one worried she must drink Shakeology I've about lost patience with all this garbage.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »

Okay, so tell us your credentials and why you're so much better than everyone else.

Damn, I missed it.

It appears someone doesn't know what the flag feature is for.

Isn't it for you to collect more stars for your chart?? I wonder what the reward is when it's full...

(I haven't had a new flag in ages :( )
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

50% reduction in snark.

Wish I'd seen it, as now I don't know if it was aimed at me.

Not aimed at you =)