Is Your Metabolism Working Against You? For those that have not seen this.

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    physioprof wrote: »
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=martin+2007+rmr+weight+loss

I mean...since when is this a myth? It's a real thing. It happens.

Well, actually, I'd like to take that on. Give me a minute.

#teammamapeach

Thanks for your faith in me, but I'm just shooting blind here. I've seen this theory advanced about the lowered metabolic rate. I've even seen people mention it in posts here and post studies, and yet... you know, I read the maintenance boards, and it's funny. I never see anyone complaining about how much lower their calories are than expected.

It's just so weird.

• physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    LOL...okay, random person on the internet. I concede that you know more than those of us with advanced degrees and research experience in human metabolism. You win! It's all a myth we perpetuate just to mess with folks. I'm eagerly awaiting your next manuscript.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    LOL...okay, random person on the internet. I concede that you know more than those of us with advanced degrees and research experience in human metabolism. You win! It's all a myth we perpetuate just to mess with folks. I'm eagerly awaiting your next manuscript.

And you are any less random how, exactly?
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

My username hints at that. I am a little less random when it comes to human metabolism. When you've done research you are cognizant of the limitations and the strengths. Six months is a long time for a prospective study.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

My username hints at that. I am a little less random when it comes to human metabolism. When you've done research you are cognizant of the limitations and the strengths. Six months is a long time for a prospective study.

Okay random hinting person. I suppose we should all just bow and take your word for stuff? LMAO.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

When it comes to something like long-term weight loss effects, it's not, though.

That's why I take the findings from the participants in the NWCR more seriously.

Remember I raised the concern about the effect being temporary or not?

What about the effects of the methods used in the studies to lose the weight in the first place?

I notice you're not addressing ANY of those qualms I have with the studies.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    What exactly is the argument here? That a caloric deficit decreases metabolic rate, or that caffeine and exercise can increase it?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    What exactly is the argument here? That a caloric deficit decreases metabolic rate, or that caffeine and exercise can increase it?

Currently, I'm arguing, because I'm not entirely convinced, against the prevailing wisdom that there's a long-term lasting effect on metabolic rate due to weight loss. I have issues with the methods used to lose weight in all the studies I've seen that suggest this is the case. I believe they all promoted loss of lean body mass, which would naturally lead to a lower metabolic rate.

I think we've moved past the OP.

• galgenstrick
    Options

Currently, I'm arguing, because I'm not entirely convinced, against the prevailing wisdom that there's a long-term lasting effect on metabolic rate due to weight loss. I have issues with the methods used to lose weight in all the studies I've seen that suggest this is the case. I believe they all promoted loss of lean body mass, which would naturally lead to a lower metabolic rate.

I think we've moved past the OP.

I guess I don't see the issue. first we have to define "long term"... If the metabolic slowdown is due to a reduction in LBM, then wouldn't that be considered a "long term" metabolic slowdown considering you would need to correct it by putting on more muscle?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://news.health.com/2015/05/14/is-your-metabolism-working-against-you-6-simple-ways-to-boost-it/

^^copy pasta from here. It's a pretty bad article.

Premise is not supported by content.

Some points just wrong or misleading, like produce is muscle preserving. Last time I looked, protein was needed for MPS and most produce either has minimal protein and/or the protein is not a complete protein. Talk about stretching a concept. You also need to resistance train to get dat metabolism boosting muscle.

And this one "More proof that a calorie isn’t a calorie came from research conducted at Pomona College. Researchers found that when healthy women consumed meals that were similar in terms of carb, protein, and fat content, they burned about 50% more calories eating whole foods versus highly processed foods. "

Misleading conclusion when you look at the actual study.

The other points are misleading also.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Broscience all the way--the article in the original post, that is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I fail to see how anything of what you said support what the author said about those things "maximizing" metabolism.

She just said, 'boost.' You can certainly do things to reduce your metabolic rate just like you can do things to increase it, and caffeine and exercise unequivocally increase it. There is plenty of misinformation out there--meal frequency, for instance--and in comparison, this article is pretty sound. It's still 'marketed' toward people who might not know that much about nutrition or metabolism so it has to 'sell', hence the title. I just think it's pretty humorous that a bunch of folks on the internet are bashing the article for its lack of sources...but no one else has any sources to refute her claims either.

She seems to be talking about TEF or simply the fact that we overestimate calories for things like fiber rich foods. (I think these are great things to eat and I do--for nutrition and satiety--but claiming they boost metabolism is where it starts sounding like an infomercial. I'd be interested in real studies.)

Water boosts metabolism seems even more questionable. Does it help some people feel full? Of course, but more is being claimed.

I skimmed the article, but didn't see anything about exercise, but of course exercise raises TDEE (which is not normally considered the same as raising metabolism, I don't think). Caffeine may, but I'd question the health effects of tons of caffeine, especially if it effects sleep, and if she means caffeine she should say caffeine, not push the woo-like properties of green tea and it's special other compounds.

As for metabolic adaptation, I didn't think it was controversial, but the big questions are what, if anything, can we do to reduce the effects or to correct it after it happens. Saying it's a matter of what you eat is where the article seems to go off into territory that I'd not heard credibly supported before.

The study you cite seems to be this one: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

If so, I'm interested in any comments on the analysis, which I found very interesting.

I thought it suggested that a lower deficit with exercise was a good thing and left me with some questions, specifically to what extend a bigger deficit made up of more exercise could have the same positive effects of the 25% made up of half and half, as well as how resulted varied in general with different make ups. This interested me because the usual 1-2 lb/week recommendation for a woman who is not all that large will generally be more than 25% off TDEE, and there have been discussions about whether there are negative effects at various levels of aggressiveness.

I'm also interested on effect on muscle mass at various levels and with different amounts of exercise.

I also noted when reading over heybales' discussion again that the protein level was quite low, which surprised me, so I'd be interested in the effect of including more protein in general.

Curious if you have any comments or links to studies, or if anyone else does.
  • galgenstrick
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here is a study that shows that BMR increases with increased caloric intake in sedentary individuals. Which is evidence against the argument that a decreased BMR was due to a decrease in LBM in the other cited study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16741271
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I will congratulate you, it is some accomplishment to be a physio professor at the age of 28.

A professor at age 28? That is commendable. My gifted cousin got her PhD in math and went straight to a university as a math professor when she was about 30, I think.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The only way I know to improve metabolism (if yr healthy) is regular exercise; if yr not healthy, like being hypothyroid or otherwise having issues, once those are addressed, it will improve. So... I had both of those things to do. I feel like lifting is a good answer for a lot of women. Our muscle mass decreases over time unless you deliberately prevent that. I don't feel like the advice presented in the article is bad at all. I do a lot of those things and have gotten good results. Coffee as a preworkout is a winner for example. XD The reasoning behind it, I'm not going to be arguing about all that because I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, but I will say that my doctor advises me to do these things so it's not like someone just made up some random crap.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Also, it's not like I think caffeine makes me lose weight. I just know it makes the workout easier for me to do. That's all I need from it!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Caffeine being a stimulant would help increase heart rate and provide a boost to physical activity. It's been used in diet pills for years because of that. That doesn't mean it has a large enough effect to be of practical effective use, and the dose where it would be a significant boost would probably be dangerous to people.

As for produce and whole foods vs processed foods, I'd wonder if sodium content isn't a factor and if they controlled for that. Honestly, I don't see anything in the OP's article's suggestions that is way off-base or magical, but they don't connect the dots between those suggestions and eating at a deficit to achieve weight loss.