Need advice with low carb meals

Options
stephbeattie90
stephbeattie90 Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm aiming to lose 1st. My aim is to be having 50% carbs throughout the day and 30% fat throughout the day.finding it really hard to keep to my limit with carbs!I find I keep going over the 50%.anyone have an recepies for lunch and dinners?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Basically you want a protein (steak) and lots of vegetables (head of broccoli). Add fats and oils.
  • IHAVEPMS247
    IHAVEPMS247 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tons of low carb recipes are on pinterest. I am on Atkins induction and keeping my carbs under 20g - there are many recipes that I can use on pinterest or on Facebook low carb pages.
  • stephbeattie90
    Options
    Thanks guys:)
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't generally eat low carb but today I made my first spiralized "pasta" dish using summer squash and pesto. So easy and very delicious. Can't wait to try some more recipes.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ibreathimhungry has really good recipes.

Your diary is closed, but lets say you're eating 1200 calories a day, 50% carbs is 600 calories. What are you eating? Low carb is generally considered 100g or less a day, which would be about 400 calories (1g carb - 4 calories) regardless of the percentage of your goal.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I'm aiming to lose 1st. My aim is to be having 50% carbs throughout the day and 30% fat throughout the day.finding it really hard to keep to my limit with carbs!I find I keep going over the 50%.anyone have an recepies for lunch and dinners?

I'm confused--50% of your diet being carbs is not low.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    That's not low carb.

Anyway, I would eat eggs with bacon & mushroom/spinach. Steak with cauliflower or broccoli (and butter!). Salad with protein.

I second IbreatheImhungry.com. But those are true low-carb recipes and you're going to have a hard time keeping your fat to 30% with those.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My aim is to be having 50% carbs throughout the day and 30% fat throughout the day.

That leaves 20% for protein. Your numbers are not low carb. They are in the middle of the ranges recommended by nutritionists and the USDA.

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Google Linda Sue's low carb. She has an amazing site with all kinds of different low carb recipes. Of course if you're eating 50% carbs I'm not sure how useful her site would be as her recipes are under 10g net carbs. I think a lot of them are closer to 5. I personally wouldn't consider that high of carbs to be low carb at all, but that's just me. I eat 20g or less and I'm usually at 5-8% depending on my other macros.
  • stephbeattie90
    Options
    The percentages are just what the app has set for me. I never said the 50% was low I was saying I kept going over(by like 10%). Which is why I wanted some recepies for lower carb meals so I can spread it out throughout the day.i abit of a dumbass with all this as its all new to me.never done the whole diet thing.just wanting to lose abit of weight that's stayed with me from over the Christmas holidays lol!
    Thanks for all he advice guys I've taken note and will check out some recepies on those website :) x
  • stephbeattie90
    Options
    Kuranda I've been eating lots of fruit and veg which is why I don't understand how I've went over.maybe I'm using the app wrong and not putting in correctly how much I've eaten
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Kuranda I've been eating lots of fruit and veg which is why I don't understand how I've went over.maybe I'm using the app wrong and not putting in correctly how much I've eaten

I would look at your logging. 600 calories from carbs is a lot.

ETA:although apparently not as much as I thought. 2 serves (170g) of Barilla Spaghettini is 614 calories ...

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Fruit is pretty high carb. Cut out all bread/pasta/pastry/candy and choc, replace all fruit except 1-2 portions a day with veg instead and you'll find it easy to keep carbs low. I do <50 carbs most days and it actually makes my hunger and carb cravings go right away.
  • stephbeattie90
    Options
    I know Kuranda.its not as much as I thought either lol! Its so hard cus I am a carb girl love potatoes rice pasta etc as im not really fused with meat.
    Thank you Slimbride2be ☺
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Haha I was not a carnivore either but I have really got into it. I used to think a meal was only filling if it had a heap of carbs but these days my tastes have changed. I also feel a lot better in a lot of ways and I have a lot more control around food.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fruits have tons of carbs.
    Add low carb veggies to your days: asparagus, mushrooms, romaine, swiss chard, kale, spinach, sprouts, cucumbers, celery, fennel, dill pickles, zucchini, okra.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I eat about 50-60% of my diet in carbs

How many grammes of fat and protein are you hitting each day and whats your current weight (there's an equation for minimums that you can convert into better percentages than MFP presets ...0.64-0.82g P and 0.35g F per lb bodyweight as minimums)
  • stephbeattie90
    Options
    Haha I hope I get used to it! Missing potatoes already Slimbride2be.
    thanks rodarose that's a good start on veggies for me.loving asparagus atm so that's good lol!
    Rabbit I'm aloud 30% fat and 20% protein. I'm around 81/2 stone give or take.ive never owned scales!:o think I'll b getting today lol
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Kuranda I've been eating lots of fruit and veg which is why I don't understand how I've went over.

Fruit and veg is like over 80% of calories from carbs, so the more cals you get from that the higher the result will be.