Can you measure two tbsp of ranch on a plate for me?

Options
124»

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I know this has nothing to do with the measurement, but it's a helpful calorie cutting tip... Walmart sells bolthouse brand ranch dressing in the salad section. Its made from Greek yogurt, so it's much lower in calories (I think it's 45 calories per serving) and tastes just as good as hidden valley. Totally worth a try :-)

While your suggestion is great, the cost of that dressing is far more for less than if she bought Hidden Valley.
    if you can't find a buck or two for a cheap measuring set, I don't think the more expensive dressing will work.

OP, you've received some great suggestions here. If I had ranch, I would've measured some for you. But ranch isn't really my thing.

You've got great spirit, good luck

Your very kind. Thank you! I actually use food stamps so it is okay if it's another dollar for food. If we run out we kind of just wait it out. As long as the kids eat. We usually can make things last to the end of the month though.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I make my own Ranch dressing since store bought has too much crap in it that's bad for you. It's not as creamy as store bought, but two tablespoons is only 100 calories. I find that since it's not as thick, it distributes over my salad better and I don't need to use more.
    What exactly is in yours? I never even considered that... That's possible.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    There is a convenience store near me that has little plastic cups (1 Tablespoon sized) for ketchup and mustard. Maybe there is one near you that serves food that also has them. You could pick one up, ask if they know the portion size (they may or may not) but then they can measure for you if it's not a busy time of day. The people that go to the one near me are very health conscious and it has been done there. Since you probably aren't near this store, it's at least worth a shot to see if you are near one. You could then take it with you (they are cheap, plastic things) and use it to measure your dressing. Just an idea.

I love that idea. Thank you :)
  • Verity1111
    Options
    It's not rocket science.

Open a new bottle, estimate how much you're using, add to MFP.
    When you get to the end of the bottle you can total how many ml you've recorded and add or subtract the difference to equal the ml in the bottle

Ohh, that's a good idea too. New bottle, record how many times you use it, average the number of uses over the contents of the bottle.
    The issue is that it's not just me using it. I'm sure my bf might forget and use it. He's a busy man lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Do you have any of the little measuring cups that come with liquid cold medicine? (Nyquil, cough syrup, etc.) Most of those show the amount in tablespoons and milliliters.

Good point. Your local pharmacist might give you one for free

That also didn't cross my mind... You are all more creative than I am lately lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I literally do not have $1

I've been where you are. It gets better! Look at eat day as a challenging adventure, and each night when you're done and you make it to bed it's another victory.

If you have measuring cups, there are 16 tablespoons in a cup. Which means 4 tablespoons in a 1/4 c. measuring cup. So half of the 1/4c measuring cup is 2 tablespoons.

Also...thriftshops and yard sales are great for random dishes and such for a dime. Who cares if they don't match?

I may or may not have a measuring cup.. But I likely have a cup that is 8oz ish to use to estimate. Thank you. yes who cares indeed lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I didn't have ranch, only thousand Island... So it may spread out a little more.

Basically... 2.5"x3"

jiz46w5540bm.jpg
    Thank you for being so kind as to take the time to do that! I really, really appreciate it.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Do you know if dollar tree sells them generally? I don't really go to dollar stores, but they just opened one nearby. Maybe I can drag my kids in the morning lol ask my bf to borrow $1 from our rent until Friday.

Okay you SERIOUSLY need to go check out the dollar store. They have things like Reynolds wrap and cleaning supplies, plus toiletries for a dollar. Definitely a must, for someone on a budget. I would just wait until you've been paid and start your weekly/monthly shopping there.

I am new still to all this shopping for home stuff. I just remember the toy and candy aisles from as a kid lol possibly soap. I'll definitely check it out.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    In a pinch, use a regular tablespoon, but make sure it's level. This wont be as accurate, but better than nothing.

Thank you :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    You know those little individual containers of coffee creamer or half-and-half that diners and some carry-out places serve? Those hold half a fluid ounce, which is one tablespoon, if that helps at all with giving you a visualization. (Or if the place you work provides coffee service to employees and uses those individual containers of creamer, you could wash one out after using it and save it to use as a tablespoon measure.)

Best of luck.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    You know those little individual containers of coffee creamer or half-and-half that diners and some carry-out places serve? Those hold half a fluid ounce, which is one tablespoon, if that helps at all with giving you a visualization. (Or if the place you work provides coffee service to employees and uses those individual containers of creamer, you could wash one out after using it and save it to use as a tablespoon measure.)

Best of luck.
    Thank you. I am a sahm and my partner works. I was in school but I can't go back yet sadly. I'll see about that though. Thank you for the tip. :)