How much weight did you lose before people started to notice?

Options

Replies

• Jurra13
    Jurra13 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 10 pounds in the past couple months after really going hard at the gym and changing my calorie intake. My boyfriend is always commenting on noticing my weight loss. I'm not sure if he truly sees the difference or if he just keeps saying things to keep me motivated. But it's definitely helping. It's always nice to hear encouraging words from someone you love.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    About 20 lb, but it could have been sooner, since most people didn't say anything at all for the reasons people have mentioned, even after I'd lost much more. I understand, as I'm never sure if I should say something about someone else's weight loss. (I did hear that a co-worker was asking around to find out if anyone knew if it was intentional.)
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My mum noticed after about 7lbs, and others about 14lbs before they noticed. I am short too though so makes quite a difference! I do think it could be people wondering whether you would take offence at complimenting your weight - I must admit its something I only mention if I'm sure the person would take it how it is meant!
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm down 24 pounds and the only mention I've had is from my doctor. Having said that, though, the seasons have changed so my clothing choices are different. What is a different body from me might just be seen as different clothes by another. Gone are the fluffy cotton sweaters in favor of tee shirts. My winter clothing just covered my belly up more thoroughly.
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was at 8 pounds lost when someone other than people who knew I was losing weight commented! But, I lose weight in my face first, so it's not a surprise!
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The first comment I had was when I had lost 10 pounds, and it was a friend of mine whom I don't see everyday. He was really frank and it really surprised me, because the changes were still very subtle at that point.

Since reaching 20 pounds, I've had a lot of comments. I was at a wedding in the family and a lot of family members commented on how I had lost a lot of weight.

The other place was at kickboxing class. We had a 3 week break, and when I came back I had tipped over the 20 pound mark. No one came up to me and told me, but my coach (who has been aware of my journey since january) told me a lot of guys commented about it to him. So the "I don't want to sound like a jerk" effect is in full swing there :)

People you'll see everyday won't necessarily comment, since the changes are gradual they might no see them so clearly.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Depends where you're starting from. At 178, I think people noticed at ~155-160, maybe? Though I don't know if that's partly because I hid in my clothes.

After that, prob every 10 lbs. Now people pick up on a 5 lb difference.
  • smr09012
    smr09012 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm down 40lbs (hoping to lose 155) and people haven't really noticed. My fiancé and a few friends who I've talked with have said something, but other than that I've heard nothing. Hoping that when I come back to school in August (hopefully) 25 lbs lighter than I am right now, SOMEONE will notice. I know it isn't all about that, but the affirmation helps.
  • halfninja2
    halfninja2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you have to lose or your personal body build. I lost a total of 65 lbs, but got some notice about 25 to 30 pounds of weight loss.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14 pounds and my grandpa mentioned on Sunday that I look like I've lost weight. Made me really happy. :)
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 when people first started to notice, but it wasn't until 60 that everyone started commenting about how different i looked
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest...when I started losing, my mom noticed after about 20 lb.
    A couple of friends/coworkers noticed a difference in me when I started walking (like miles every night) but when I told them I was down 30-40 lb by then they admitted they couldn't see a weight loss, that I just looked "firmed up/toned"...I guess I should have taken it as a compliment but I definitely didn't at the time.

Once I was down 70 lb from my heaviest everyone started commenting, though.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wear loose blouses so often that I doubt anyone noticed the shape underneath!
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Around 20lbs- I started at 175 (5'5"). I've gotten more comments at my current 32lbs loss.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    After about 15lb and I started wearing smaller sizes.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just reached the 19lb mark and other than my husband, no one has specifically commented on my weight. However, I attended a funeral for a family member last week and found out afterwards that several people were commenting that my makeup, hair, and outfit made me look like I could have been a movie star. I haven't told anyone other than my husband about my goals, and everything I was wearing is my go-to somber occasion outfit, so I realize they were noticing the loss without being able to put their finger on exactly what was different.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    When I lost about 15-20 lbs, a few people commented, but they don't see me often so I guess it was noticeable. The people who see my every day never really noticed (and now I'm down 25+ lbs total), but it was been a very slow process. An in-law who hasn't seen me in a few months recently noticed, which was awesome. But others either didn't notice or didn't want to say anything. Which is totally fine, but it is nice to know sometimes :) I assume my husband and children can't tell at all because this has been a slow and steady process for such a long time. I don't think my husband even knew I was trying to lose weight because it's not something I really bring up.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 and everyone and their mother was coming up to me telling me how good I look, lost 11 more and no one even noticed... I've only lost 2 pounds in the entire month of May and everyone is congratulating me on how good I'm looking since I started losing weight again...
  • Lizrobin3108
    Lizrobin3108 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I had lost about 15 pounds when a neighbor down the street said to me one moring, "You're looking good." Made my day! :)
  • ShareenaFulton
    ShareenaFulton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass shape and I really do lose weight from everywhere instead of targeted places. Right now I'm about 10st and a UK 12 (US 10? 8? I can never remember).

Last time I lost weight, (before I piled it back on to my current size) I had to lose about 1 1/2 stone (21ish pounds) before I, or any of my friends and family, really got to noticing the change. At that point I had dropped a jean size to a UK10 and I also dropped a cup size.

It's both a blessing and a curse when my weight distributes so evenly. It means that 6 pounds here or there barely makes a difference. It also means that the weight can creep up so easily that before you know it, you've undone all your good work. Ah, nevermind. I'm trying to learn consistency with my weight management. As long as I focus, I'll hopefully be fine.