No weight loss for 2 weeks... do something different?

Options
Some background on me... I've lost 37 pounds since February 1st and have been losing at a steady rate and I'm thrilled with what I've lost. I have 37 more pounds to go before I'm in a healthy BMI range. I definitely don't expect the next 37 pounds to come off as quickly, but this is the first time in 4 months that my weight loss seems somewhat stalled. I know it doesn't technically count as a plateau after only 2 weeks, but it definitely is frustrating that I've been losing and regaining the same 1 pound over the past 2 weeks.

I haven't done anything different. I'm still eating below my calories every day, working out 6 days a week and eating back 50% of my exercise calories. I weigh all my food and log everything accurately. I'm not having any "cheat days" or anything like that. The only thing that has been different is I'm not sleeping well over the past couple weeks because my baby has been waking up during the night and my toddler has been getting up super early, but I'm not sure if would affect weight loss.

I've been told I need to change things up... like do different exercises or eat smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger meals. Is there any truth to any of that? Is there anything else I need to be doing different or should I keep doing what I have been doing and the weight loss will start up again soon?

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Stay the course.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Some background on me... I've lost 37 pounds since February 1st and have been losing at a steady rate and I'm thrilled with what I've lost. I have 37 more pounds to go before I'm in a healthy BMI range. I definitely don't expect the next 37 pounds to come off as quickly, but this is the first time in 4 months that my weight loss seems somewhat stalled. I know it doesn't technically count as a plateau after only 2 weeks, but it definitely is frustrating that I've been losing and regaining the same 1 pound over the past 2 weeks.

I haven't done anything different. I'm still eating below my calories every day, working out 6 days a week and eating back 50% of my exercise calories. I weigh all my food and log everything accurately. I'm not having any "cheat days" or anything like that. The only thing that has been different is I'm not sleeping well over the past couple weeks because my baby has been waking up during the night and my toddler has been getting up super early, but I'm not sure if would affect weight loss.

I've been told I need to change things up... like do different exercises or eat smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger meals. Is there any truth to any of that? Is there anything else I need to be doing different or should I keep doing what I have been doing and the weight loss will start up again soon?

Two weeks is nothing. If you are really confident you are doing everything right then stick with it.
  • Dvorah17
    Dvorah17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can be very frustrating. I went through something like this about six months ago but it lasted for three months. Finally I changed my walking habits and added a few more blocks. That seemed to be enough to get me kick started back into loss mode. Maybe change your workout routine? Add some free weights? Start walking if you haven't been doing that already? Don't cut back on your calories though. Your body needs to eat in order to lose. Maybe look at how much fat you are consuming each day? Sorry I can't be more helpful. Just don't get discouraged. I've been on my weight loss journey for more than two years -- have lost about 38 pounds so far and still another 35 to go. Sometimes it feels like it is taking forever but slow and steady wins the race! Hang in there!!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I think this is where someone points out that weight loss is not linear.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Does it ever sink in?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The last 2 weeks of each of my monthly cycles, I lose NOTHING. Then I lose 5-6lbs the first 2 weeks of my next cycle.

Could you be ovulating or expecting your period?
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I literally just had the same experience. I didn't freak out since I knew I use doing everything right. At 3.5 weeks, I finally saw some weight loss. Just my own personal experience here - but as I near my goal, the weight seems to come off in whooshes (long periods of no loss followed by a sudden, major loss) rather than the steady loss I saw early on. Stay the course.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Good things takes time. I've lost 87 pounds so far, some weeks I lose a lot, other weeks I don't lose anything, some weeks it actually shows a slight gain. Stay the course.

Also, I've noticed sometimes I stall a bit when I start to get sloppy with my logging.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Does it ever sink in?

I know logically that weight loss isn't linear and I hear people say it, but when you lose 2 pounds a week for almost 4 straight months and then all of a sudden you don't lose anything for 2 weeks, you do start questioning yourself. I've tried to lose weight a million times but usually quit after the first 2 months so this is new territory for me! :) And then friends are telling me I need to change things up to "confuse my body" and wondering if there's any truth to that (because to me it doesn't make sense but I don't know much about weight loss).
    mkakids wrote: »
    The last 2 weeks of each of my monthly cycles, I lose NOTHING. Then I lose 5-6lbs the first 2 weeks of my next cycle.

Could you be ovulating or expecting your period?

I don't know the answer to this. I'm breastfeeding my 5 month old full time and haven't gotten a period yet.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Your body becomes accustomed to routine. Mix it up. If you are currently doing steady state training i.e. 30mins+ jogging, change to 15min HIIT.

Diet wise - healthy fats for breakfast. Body is burning fat during day - important to fuel your body right.

Just a couple of suggestions. GL!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Just have patience. Two weeks does not make or break a weight loss plan.

That being said...you said you've lost 37 lbs so far (which is great BTW!)

Have you recalculated your daily caloric goal? As you lose weight, your BMR/TDEE generally tends to go down (as you require less energy just to move your body mass around), so it's generally recommended you recalculate your daily caloric goals every 10-20 lbs. If your goal is still the same as when you started, it's possible your eating closer to your maintenance calories.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    Your body becomes accustomed to routine. Mix it up. If you are currently doing steady state training i.e. 30mins+ jogging, change to 15min HIIT.

Diet wise - healthy fats for breakfast. Body is burning fat during day - important to fuel your body right.

That's a lot of wrong in so few words.

• jacklfc88
    Options

1) Your body does become accustomed to training. If you do the same stuff week in week out, you plateau. Mix it up, shock the body now and again.

2) Do your research. Healthy fats an good proteins for breakfast is what your body needs to burn fat and build lean muscle. Amazed at some of the posts on here.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited May 2015
    Options

1) Your body does become accustomed to training. If you do the same stuff week in week out, you plateau. Mix it up, shock the body now and again.

2) Do your research. Healthy fats an good proteins for breakfast is what your body needs to burn fat and build lean muscle. Amazed at some of the posts on here.
    You lose weight in a caloric deficit. You'll need to do more exercise to burn the same number of calories at a lighter weight, but that's not what you're saying, so just more wrong words.

She's not talking about trying to progress in her exercise which, yeah, would take progressively more effort. X calories burned is X calories burned, whether it confuses your body -- whatever the heck that's supposed to mean -- or whether it's walking day after day after day.
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight a few years ago by logging religiously, I found that I would stay basically the same weight, give or take 1/2 pound, for 3 weeks and then all of a sudden have a loss and then stay the same again for another 3 weeks and lose the 4th week and so on. I think it just has to do a lot with your body, hormones, etc. I just took to heart that if I was consistent in my logging and eating at a deficit, then the weight would eventually come off.
  • jacklfc88
    Options

You lose weight in a caloric deficit. You'll need to do more exercise to burn the same number of calories at a lighter weight, but that's not what you're saying, so just more wrong words.

She's not talking about trying to progress in her exercise which, yeah, would take progressively more effort. X calories burned is X calories burned, whether it confuses your body -- whatever the heck that's supposed to mean -- or whether it's walking day after day after day.

Yes but by eating the right foods you don't have to starve yourself to be in a caloric deficit! What's the point in sitting there like a lemon not doing any exercise counting every single bit of food you put in your mouth, when you can exercise, eat well, still be in caloric deficit and have much better outcome overall? I know what I would rather do.

If you read the post, the OP asked whether she should change her exercise routine. Doing the same exercises day after day is not only monotonous but you get used to the exercise. For example, a 20 min jog 3 times a week at the same pace to begin with is great - but if I was still doing the same pace 3 months, 6 months later, when my body is now accustomed to that pace and is fitter/stronger, then I'd be doing it wrong. Progression is key to motivation.

Exercise at 65-70% min of MHR 3-4 times a week to begin with. Incorporate some resistance training. Eat the right foods at the right time. That's the best way to do it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Yes but by eating the right foods you don't have to starve yourself to be in a caloric deficit! What's the point in sitting there like a lemon not doing any exercise counting every single bit of food you put in your mouth, when you can exercise, eat well, still be in caloric deficit and have much better outcome overall? I know what I would rather do.

I know which one I'd rather do as well - the no exercise approach. I've searched for years to find an exercise I actually enjoy, and have yet to find one. Every sport or class or whatever that I've ever done has left me feeling sick and in tears. I'm still searching for an exercise that I enjoy, but until I find one I'd rather do a diet that doesn't force me to do something I absolutely hate. I'd much rather sit there like a lemon not doing any exercise counting every single bit of food I put in my mouth than force myself to do something that makes me feel like I'd rather die.

And as far as the getting used to exercise goes, your body might become accustomed to a certain exercise and be able to do it more efficiently and, therefore, burn less calories doing it, but it's still going to burn calories. If you're in a deficit, you're still going to lose weight.