Do people treat you differently since losing weight?

Options
whoaitzlena
whoaitzlena Posts: 5 Member
So I've lost nearly 100 lbs so far. I have been big almost my whole life. But as of late, I am noticing that people (generally of the opposite sex) are a lot friendlier. For instance; smiling, holding doors open, saying hello, offering their seat, etc. Before this much people in general didn't even want to make eye contact with me and pretty most avoided me like the plague.

Anyone else who has lost weight notice any differences in other people's behavior. If so please share, I would love to hear your stories.

Replies

• sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Oh heck ya! I get way more attention now Lol. I don't think it's just people being shallow, although some for sure, but I know I hold myself differently now. I smile more at people, I carry myself better, I'm happier in general and I think that attracts more people including friends.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    My weight loss hasn't been quite so dramatic as yours but I do notice a difference. Although, actually, the first difference is from myself: I'm more confident, I look people in the eye, I stand up straighter; and they chat to me, they listen when I speak, they smile back... you know, strangers - my friends still treat me the same as before.

I think part of it is also that before I was trying *not* to notice when people were looking at me, I'd always assume they wouldn't be pleased with what they saw. But now I'm actively looking to see what they think when they look at me. if that makes any sense...
  • fufi04
    fufi04 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I've lost just under 60Lbs so far & I still get treated the same. I haven't noticed any difference ...not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing lol
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ... I know I hold myself differently now. I smile more at people, I carry myself better, I'm happier in general and I think that attracts more people...

^ This is probably why. You get what you give, so when you put out happy, confident vibes (even unconsciously), you're gonna get positive responses back. :flowerforyou:
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    you're confident and feeling it so embrace it!

it can also work in the reverse too so be mindful of that :)
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    yea! they treat me like a king
  • impudentputz
    impudentputz Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Definitely, however it might also be because my attitude had changed as well. People definitely pick up on negative and positive vibes. With the change in my appearance there had also been a change in my demeanor and people are responding to it a lot better than in the past.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I act differently.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly normal to treat people differently when they lose weight! Not in that you like them better, but you can talk more openly with them and don't have worry about saying something to offend them. Generally when people lose weight, they become more confident and have a more a positive outlook on life and also are less likely to be easily offended!

However it's a different story if you treated them horribly when they were overweight and then suddenly start being nice to them when they lose weight! That in my books, would not be cool!!
  • whoaitzlena
    whoaitzlena Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Great point everyone. I never thought of it that way. It could be because my attitude and outlook on life has changed as well :)
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I hadn't realised until this post, but I have been more confident and I've only lost about 8lbs so far. But the added confidence has made me feel a lot more relaxed talking to people. I am now making friends with people in my gym classes, whereas before I wouldn't really talk to anyone before.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    Yes alot...girls ,guys ,strangers,friends and i don't like it at all because the only thing that changed about me is my looks i'm just lighter and more defined my personality & confidence is the same my confidence and self esteem was never low when i was overweight ..That proves to me that most people ( A very large percentage ) are sick and shallow they are not talking to you they are talking to your body its really stupid and now i completely avoid them they just make me feel literally sick ...
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    HunterKiller_wechange2 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    very much so especially from girls. Is stupid really as im the same guy inside but im not complaining either. :)
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Wow, 100 lbs is amazing good for you!

Like you mentioned, I seem to get more attention from the fairer sex now. I unfortunately haven't gotten better looking, that's for sure, so I'm guessing its gotta be the weight loss, or just me feeling overall better about myself and carrying myself more confidently.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Yes- I noticed that when I'm walking to places, more people stop to let me cross the road.

But I've also noticed that a lot of people are quite *****y. I am proud of what I've achieved. I still have relatively low body confidence, but from a health point of view rather than an aesthetic point of view I'm very proud of myself, and it hurts when people make comments like "oh she thinks she's so great".

I get people commenting on statuses on Facebook to say when I've lost more weight saying that being thin isn't better than being "curvy". I mean, why do that when someone's obviously proud of what they're achieved! And I'm curvy in the ACTUAL sense rather than the "just another word for being fat" sense.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I hadn't realised until this post, but I have been more confident and I've only lost about 8lbs so far. But the added confidence has made me feel a lot more relaxed talking to people. I am now making friends with people in my gym classes, whereas before I wouldn't really talk to anyone before.

hehe, this, exactly. Instead of looking away and actively trying not to meet anyone's eyes in the gym, I now smile and nod (with earbuds in); and sometimes I try to chat to the obvious newbies, kind of encourage them a bit. Although honestly, I'm kinda afraid of scaring them off. I know I would have run screaming from some chatty gym-gal a year or two ago!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Only when I have my hair purple & decide I'm dancing my way through the supermarket.
  • raaiindrops
    raaiindrops Posts: 134
    Options
    Yes people treat differently..........also the confidence in ourself increases.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    very much so especially from girls. Is stupid really as im the same guy inside but im not complaining either. :)

I notice it as well from myself. Though I am still a bit shy, takes a while for me to warm up to the opposite sex, my inner confidence exudes and that was never the case before.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I've really lost enough weight for that to kick in. I'm still in the obese category, so I'm still "invisible."

Edited for typo.