Do people treat you differently since losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I get a bit more attention now. Sometimes I find it a bit offensive when men who previously never noticed me tell me I'm attractive. Seems a bit shallow but then I know that a lot of the time it's because I have more confidence now, I make more effort with myself and I'm a lot happier so a nicer person to be around.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed much of a difference but I may be oblivious. A couple of my close friends have told me that my confidence has increased (this is something I totally struggle with) so maybe it is happening but the skewed view of myself is prohibiting me from seeing it.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    People treat me the same
  • sarantonio
    sarantonio Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Men treat me like I'm feminine now... weird, I've always been female. Women are either happy for me or *****y at me... I have lost 2 "friends" so far.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I haven't noticed much of a difference but I may be oblivious. A couple of my close friends have told me that my confidence has increased (this is something I totally struggle with) so maybe it is happening but the skewed view of myself is prohibiting me from seeing it.

^^^this is totally me because I get hit on alot more (from what my friends say) but I don't notice a lot of it. My friends call me Ms. Oblivious. lol
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

^^^this is totally me because I get hit on alot more (from what my friends say) but I don't notice a lot of it. My friends call me Ms. Oblivious. lol

lol; back in HS it took me quite a while and several friends being outraged on my behalf to realize I was being bullied. Which is weird because I tend to suffer from teh white kinght syndrome: I rush to help whenever I see injustice, often without asking if people WANT help.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like I've really lost enough weight for that to kick in. I'm still in the obese category, so I'm still "invisible."

Edited for typo.

I see you, dang girl you're so fine... what's your name?

Whateva...you won't even take me out for sushi!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    Yes and no. Some of my female colleagues are way nicer to me now, some of them are not. Male colleagues treat me the same and never ask me any questions about it. Almost all the females asked me how did I do it. It really doesn't matter though, right? We don't do this to get attention or get better treatment, etc...right?
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Sadly, YES. (strangers anyway, particular men)

but my friends and family all treat me the same.
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    I think they have but only because *I* am different. Before I was just a fat unhappy (with my self but happy in general) person and even though i thought i was being friendly many people say they always thought i was angry or that i disliked them. since losing some weight ive gained some confidence and have been a happier person. more friendly. more outgoing and in return people have been very positive back towards me! :-)
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost that much yet but I find that people are treating me differently because of my attitude. I have more confidence by the day and I think people see that.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    People like me now. They had to come around to my greatness eventually.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Lol, my friends have all stopped talking to me.... Apparently the drinking and partying was all we had in common, now I won't go out Friday nights cause I go to the gym every Saturday morning, and suddenly I'm not good enough anymore....

Oh well.... LOL
  • GameOfHealthy
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I've lost 60 pounds and I'm still overweight but there's a lot of men that are being kind to me or even start a conversation. As for stranger women,I haven't noticed anything. Friends treat me the same and are supportive and family members do the same.

To be honest,I'm flattered because men like me -seriously,i never thought i could be liked- but at the same time it's not fair because I'm the same person after all.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Yes and honestly it has become very annoying...

I work in IT. This is normally a very male dominated profession. I have been in the field for about 12 years and I have had to fight tooth and nail to be recognized as someone who knows her stuff. When I was heavier people took me more seriously - especially men. I never had to argue with people about something that I told them but now that I have lost almost 60 lbs the guys are starting to be all like 'how you doing' and hitting on me and basically treating me like I'm some dumb chick who just got her job by sleeping around.

I work contracts mainly so every time I have a new position I have to go through the same thing and quite honestly some days I really wish I was fat again just so I can do my job without the hassle that comes with being attractive to a lot more people than I used to be. I have no idea how the heck to stop this apart from being very direct - which I have had to do a couple of times. Of course then you get the reputation of being 'difficult' so I can't flikkin win.. Any advice in this department would be most appreciated.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    My friends wives all tell me how great I look, then they stare at their husbands guts and grimace....
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    yes! I get smiled at alot more, by men and women. I do think it's the newly found confidence/higher self esteem. It's not only thinking I look good, but damn I CAN control what I eat and WOW I can run 30 minutes str8t at 39!! I lift weights and look bad *kitten* doing so and I LOVE it!!!
  • TS3g
    TS3g Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I actually get treated a bit worse I think. My family constantly negs me for being "skinny" and tell me I need to eat something. They also give me a lot of flak for the kinds of food I eat, or what I don't. I have gotten some compliments though from people that I haven't seen in a while, which is nice.

As far as the general public is concerned, no change at all in how they treat me. Females are still oblivious to my existence.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I still have more to lose but I have noticed that since I've lost the majority of weight, men are more friendly (sometimes bordering inappropriate) and women, though complimentary, are also more catty towards me.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I get treated a LOT different. At work, and even (sadly) by my family. My parents, grandparents, and siblings pretty much all treated me like I was a joke when I was really big. Then I went travelling for work, lost a hundred lbs and suddenly they treat me with respect, they call me to get my opinion and advice on things, they invite me to things they would have left me out of before... sometimes it makes me sad, but when asked about it, my step dad gave me a really truthful answer.
    He said it's hard to be around a person who isn't respecting themself, it's hard to watch, especially if it's your child. You don't know whether to yell at them or cry, and since you want to respect them and not interfere, you have to distance yourself because you just can't watch them being so unhealthy. Once they saw me get healthy and be happy, they were so happy that all of everything they were holding back came on with a vengeance and we're closer than ever. I won a lot of respect from people by doing something this difficult. You guys know, we're all in this together, anyone who has lost weight knows it's the hardest task you will ever tackle. It's the most time consuming and easiest to get derailed from. They know that. When they see success, they're proud of you.
    As far as strangers I notice people are kinder to me, but then again, it's because I hold myself differently too. I'm generally in a good mood, I smile and greet people, and I make a point to compliment people regularly because I know how far it goes. I also think that people are more attracted to other people who seem happy and healthy. It's instinctive to surround yourself with this kind of people. Since getting healthy, I take care of myself more in every way. My teeth are whiter, my skin is brighter, my hair is more shiny and I keep it nice, I have a healthy blush... all things that people find welcoming.