Alcohol and Dieting

Options
What are everyone's thoughts alcohol and dieting?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everything is possible, if it fits into your allotment.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I'd rather eat my calories!
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol at all. Alcohol will knock me out of ketosis since the drink I like is loaded with sugar. So I just gave it up, but I wasn't a big alcohol drinker to begin with.
  • haggs88
    haggs88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the feedback so far!!
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Depends how much. Although empty calories. I say if it fits your macros do it. It really depends on your goal. If you want to be super cut then ditch it.. Geeze I need to listen to my own advice...lol.. Actually day 2 on a no alcohol regime at present.
  • haggs88
    haggs88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Depends how much. Although empty calories. I say if it fits your macros do it. It really depends on your goal. If you want to be super cut then ditch it.. Geeze I need to listen to my own advice...lol.. Actually day 2 on a no alcohol regime at present.

LOL!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I quit for personal reasons about five months ago and I'm really happy I did as I can eat more! But if you enjoy it and can fit it into your daily calories then do whatever works for you!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    haggs88 wrote: »
    What are everyone's thoughts alcohol and dieting?

I am pro.
  • viclrstew
    viclrstew Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like my 2 martinis in the evening. I just save enough calories for them. Still losing though perhaps not as fast, but one has to live, right?
  • Amytreetop
    Amytreetop Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find the weekly calorie chart is a gem to check on how I'm doing through the week making up for say a weekend night of chilling with some beer. By the time Thursday (my weigh-in day) rolls around I usually have made it up along the way (without terrible sacrifice) and hit my goal. I must knock on wood - so far so good at least!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I've had wine/beer most nights and I've also limited it to just the weekend. Both worked for me. As long as it fits in your calories enjoy it if you want it
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a personal thing. Do you find that you tend to eat more when you're drinking? Do you typically have quite a few drinks?

For me, I tend to get the munchies when I have more than 2 drinks. I cut alcohol out for a while since I was doing training for a half-marathon and I'm bringing it back into my routine now. I try to have just one or two drinks and leave it at that or plan my week so I have extra calories to help offset the munchies :)

~Lyssa
  • jasminegipson71
    jasminegipson71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a drink on Thursdays I make sure i don't go over my calorie intake for that day it has slowed down my weight loss so I'm going to ditch it next week
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    All the way pro!
    I drink a bottle of wine per week. One bottle is around 600 calories for the kind I like. That's an hour on the treadmill. No biggie.
    By the way...it's not the alcohol that screws you up , it's the munchies you get when drinking it. lol At least that's true for me. :)
  • jasminegipson71
    jasminegipson71 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All the way pro!
    I drink a bottle of wine per week. One bottle is around 600 calories for the kind I like. That's an hour on the treadmill. No biggie.
    By the way...it's not the alcohol that screws you up , it's the munchies you get when drinking it. lol At least that's true for me. :)

I agree the munchies are hard to control at times
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I have to be very careful with alcohol because it tends to lower my inhibitions way too much when it comes to food. I have tried to just work it in, but I budget 150 calories for rum, then eat 800-1500 calories of whatever food I can get my hands on.

I still may have a few drinks once or twice a month, but I make sure to eat a bit less for the week leading up to it, because it's always a big caloric hit when all is said and done.

One glass of wine is usually ok, but that's the limit for me.
  • DrLauraDVM16
    DrLauraDVM16 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    A small glass of wine in the evenings before bed actually makes me feel full and satisfied at bedtime. If I drink before a meal I DO tend to get the munchies, but as a nightcap it works well for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it can be done, but it's difficult to party like a rock star when you're dieting. I have exercise recovery issues as well when I indulge too much.
  • NikolaiImhof
    NikolaiImhof Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'll go drinking once a month. Probably drink more calories then I eat in half a week but meh. The next day though, I'm not normally hungry so that will be my weekly fast day. Then everything goes back to the normal fun running, biking, walking, lifting, stuff.