Why can't I find a protein powder that isn't gross?

Options
Hello! I can't seem to find a protein powder that isn't either chalky or gross tasting...Please help with your favorite protein powders! Thanks!

Replies

• rupertspenser
    rupertspenser Posts: 567 Member
    Options
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    optimum nutrition oats & whey

now foods whey isolate is good in quality but doesn't taste great.

You can also use a little milk instead of water depending on your caloric allowances
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What are you mixing it with?

I buy weider or another brand (can't remember atm) but I mix it in with my fruit smoothie...
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    If you aren't vegan, try whey protein or casein. If you are, soy protein is slightly better tasting and textured than pea, hemp, or rice protein IMO.

I used to use Optimum Nutrition or Six Star whey protein; now I use soy from the same brands.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you lacking in protein?
  • danprin1
    danprin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for you're replies! I mix mine with milk and fruit.. I'm new to this so ill try a couple of the suggestions and see how they go!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Just buy an unflavored one. Then you can add it to anything and it won't impact the taste. I use Piping Rock.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I really dig this

amazon.com/gp/product/B000QSNYGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you think it sucks you must think a party in your mouth sucks.
  • gettingittogether15
    gettingittogether15 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition all the way! Their whey protein - in vanilla ice cream or chocolate - love it. I mix with skim milk. For shakes - I use almond milk.
  • ACyclingAdmin
    ACyclingAdmin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    BSN syntha 6 is pretty damn tasty btw, but the quality is not so great and it's a ton of extra calories
  • steve03301
    steve03301 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite. And in addition to protein, it's packed with lots of other nutrients:

Garden of Life RAW Organic Protein Chocolate

http://amzn.com/B007SYSQ7K

I like to drink it mixed into Silk brand Dark Chocolate Almond Milk
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just get chocolate and mix it with milk. I'm not sure of all of the brands I've tried but I've never had a bad chocolate variety. The only kind I've ever had that I didn't like was vanilla flavored (also the only time I deviated from my "if it's not chocolate, why eat it?" methodology of choosing protein powder.)
  • vettegal
    vettegal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    UMP is really good. We do vanilla flavor. Mix with ice, water, cocoa powder, dry oats, natural peanut butter for a No-bake cookie shake
  • samiisaurus
    samiisaurus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Powders. I've only tried the Vanilla Milkshake and it's sooo yum on its own with water. I sometimes mix in a serving of pb2 or some strawberries if I want some variety. Really good for cooking, too. :)
  • yanamadula
    yanamadula Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The key is to mix with a combination of almond butter and fruit to make the taste and consistency more to your liking. None of the protein powders taste good when you first start using them. Eventually the taste grows on you and you can drink it straight.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    yanamadula wrote: »
    . None of the protein powders taste good when you first start using them.

I've never had one that tasted bad
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Cellucor and Mutant are my favourites. Cookies n' Cream and Birthday Cake flavours are awesome.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I couldn't even tell you what any of the protein powders I've tried taste like!
    I mix mine in a ninja with a load of other things. Fruit, spinach,pb2,chia etc etc
    If the protein powder tastes cack, I wouldn't know lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Sorry, to answer your question. Optimum nutrition and Quest seem to come out on top in taste reviews