Why can't I find a protein powder that isn't gross?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Trutein. Look up the reviews.
  • cdlemieux21
    cdlemieux21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Proto whey power crunch! But... It has artificial sweetener (no aftertaste and I am extremely picky). Mix w water or coconut water.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I stay clear of the ones with any sweeteners or flavors because I get sick of them fast. I like promix, it's bland but I never get sick of it.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I've been adding Great Lakes gelatin to my smoothies, the "green bottle" (as opposed to the red or orange varieties) won't clump or thicken up like other gelatins. It's nothing but protein.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've been grooving on the Muscle Milk 100 calorie in Chocolate for a couple of bags now. It's probably not nearly as hardcore as some of the others listed above, but it's a nice boost for my vegetarian diet.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    I've been adding Great Lakes gelatin to my smoothies, the "green bottle" (as opposed to the red or orange varieties) won't clump or thicken up like other gelatins. It's nothing but protein.

I thought you were joking, but then I looked it up. Not sure about the amino acid profile. I like the fact that whey is high in leucine.
  • heavenleagh100
    heavenleagh100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Premier protein shakes are premise - 30 grams protein and low calories
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cellucor and Quest win in my books!
  • itsmethao
    itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey for me! My favorite is the Double Double Chocolate with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze. Only 150 calories!
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Definitely Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard..I think the flavor I have is extreme milk chocolate and it is amazing. I just blend it with ice and unsweetened almond milk. Seriously tastes like a milk shake. I also had problems trying to find a protein powder that didn't taste awful previously.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Plant Fusion. 100 % plant based protein powder in vanilla bean. Delicious and easy to mix & digest. 23g of protein at only 110 calories.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    danprin1 wrote: »
    Thank you for you're replies! I mix mine with milk and fruit.. I'm new to this so ill try a couple of the suggestions and see how they go!
    I hate all protein powder mixed with milk and fruit.

I like Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard and RTN Bionic Edge (chocolate), mixed with water & ice or vanilla unsweetened coconut milk beverage.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate and Cake Batter. If you don't like those, the problem isn't the protein powder.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love Cinnabun flavoured Trutein. Just bought 2 more 5 lbs...

I've tried lots I hated, by the way!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP...

Try either one of these brands, any flavor, and your opinions will totally change about the taste of protein powder... these are phenomenal:

EU3080025.jpg

selectprotein_snickerdoodle.png
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    I've never had one that tasted bad

@ncboiler89 you haven't tried a vegan one then :s
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I don't use protein powder but my son does and he is incredibly picky. This is the only one he will use: SYX001_Xl.jpg
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm addicted to Quest's protein powders (especially their Vanilla Milkshake flavor)!!! MusclePharm Combat powders are good, too, but they have more ingredients than Quest, and they're a bit more expensive.

I found that milk tends to hinder some of the taste of protein powders though (and I'm not sure about the fruit, I've never added it before to protein powder, except for frozen bananas which are delicious in them).
    Unless you have a terrible tasting protein powder, I recommend just water or unsweetened almond milk/soymilk, and then maybe a tablespoon of flavored nut butter (I prefer Justin's Maple Almond Butter) for even more variety and excitement.

If you have terrible tasting protein, I'm not sure why, but coconut water (NOT COCONUT MILK, THAT KILLS THE FLAVOR) generally does the trick for me. By itself I can't stand coconut water, but something about it mixed with protein powder in a shake sweetens it up and makes it delicious.

But keep looking out for sample packets and try them out! If you write to companies they may send you some :)
  • spamanda53
    spamanda53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Quest Peanut butter is ranking pretty high for me at the moment
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »

I thought you were joking, but then I looked it up. Not sure about the amino acid profile. I like the fact that whey is high in leucine.

Nope, I'm serious. I'm no protein-powder expert, though, I just have a muscle disease that leads to swallowing problems and needed a whey- and casein- and nut-free protein source that could be blended into smoothies when I can't chew or swallow meat. So, it's what I use :)

The Amazon page has a picture with the amino acid analysis.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005KG7EDU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1432747515&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=great+lakes+collagen+hydrolysate&dpPl=1&dpID=5172b7rE1+L&ref=plSrch