Should I Change Macros or Exercise?

2»

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    :/ You should be eating at least a gram of protein per lbs weight.
    So it should be around 145-160 grams of protein
    Higher carbs on workout days 170-140g and lower on non workout days 120-100g
    and the rest fat.
    "Just stick to your Plan" and Listen to you body, only you will know what works for your body or not.
    Every time I adjust my macros I see the different witnin 3 days.
    As long as you see your body composition changing in a good way then your on your way :)
  • itsmethao
    itsmethao Posts: 39 Member
    @jacklfc88 Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do the weight training before HIIT.

@mwyvr I'd love to lose 1kg a week consistently too! As you can see, I'm new to fitness and have a lot to learn. I'm glad I don't have to be so scared of the fats and will surely keep a deficit before macros. I keep reading about "eating back calories". Does that mean eating an additional 200 cals (on top of my 1200 goal cals) after exercising out 400 cals?

@JoJo__Fit At least a gram? I thought it was .6g-.87g per pound? I had the hardest time eating 150g of protein while keeping within my caloric goals. It's only been 3 weeks of calorie counting for me. I haven't done this long enough to notice changes through experimenting my macros yet.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    itsmethao wrote: »
    I keep reading about "eating back calories". Does that mean eating an additional 200 cals (on top of my 1200 goal cals) after exercising out 400 cals?

@itsmethao - More or less, yes. You could eat back all 400 calories worth if you were sure of the estimate.

For some activities, the estimates can be quite good. Running, for example, has been studied to death. Even still some apps will inflate calories; my practice is to log the lowest number, which is almost always my Garmin running watch.

If the estimates are good, eat back all of them, or as many as your body feels you need.

My general rule of thumb about deficits (for me, not some rule anyone else has to follow) is if the deficit is < 400 calories, I *may* eat back up to 1/2. If it's > 400 < 1,000, I generally plan to eat 1/2, and listening to my body, I might eat more. If it's something like a 20km run day (well over 1,000 calories) I'll definitely be eating back a fair amount (unless I literally can't, and that has happened) and won't be worried about the end macro fall out.

Knowing how reliable your estimates are is fairly important. Unless you have confidence I'd treat estimates with healthy, not paranoid, scepticism.