Alternative religions. Anyone follow one?

Options

Replies

• terrimaricle
    terrimaricle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What about the religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    What about the religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Already spoken for on Page 4.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a Deist.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hey soldier, I can't take credit for some of this. Years ago a co-worker started talking to me about my thoughts of God. He was kicked out of his church for asking too many questions. They thought he wasn't in line with their doctrines and gave him the boot. He went on his own path - learned greek, latin, hebrew and started to do his own translations. He went beyond the Bible and tried to dig into everything he could find of the subject. Mythologies from around the world and works by folks like Velokovsky (sp) who had the disaster theories instead of evolution. I believed the one thing he told me was, God is a scientist, farmer/builder with a physical body who set the physical laws of the universe, and in doing so has elected to be bound by the laws he set in motion. There is a universal government that he presides over. Wow that just blew my mind cause it isn't the popular thoughts. It sounds crazy, but it motivated me to "dig in". I had all kinds skepticism. Sounded too much like Star Wars !! I still do today. This thing he did for me was make it seem plausable from our own context or what we see here, life death, love war, peace etc. The difference being the order of magnitude of intelligence and knowledge(god). So that's it. One thing he cautionned me on was "man created god in his image" as to have the powers of god, e.g. control of others etc. and there is a lot of human made stuff and garbage to wade through to rationalize to be self serving and god-like.

Well nobody is an island. When I first started to question whether or not I should stay in the Catholic church. I started to speculate the possibility of a god that had different properties than the one described in the bible. It is possible to come up with a deity that can at least exist within a logical model as a thought experiment. The hurdle that I could not get over that landed me where I am now is the fact that I don't have any real evidence to base my description on.

I applaud you for putting real thought in to this. There are so many that have swallowed pure dogma in one big gulp. As a result their ideas are backward compatible with the ideas of the middle eastern men that wrote the bible. We live in a modern era now and we need to be able to out grows some the their archaic views.

I've often asked my 6th grade students: "What color are God's eyes?" and "What size pants does God wear?". It gets them thinking and discussing the many, many different possibilities that exist concerning what God really looks like. I also make sure to ask "is God male, female or both?" I know God is always referred to in the male form, but just to stir the pot a bit and make it interesting, I have to throw in there the whole "But if we were created in His form, wouldn't that make God also female because we are girls?"

(I teach at a Catholic school, so this is perfectly acceptable content to discuss in school)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Wow, I came back to this thread expecting it to be gone today. Awesome that it's continued without belligerence. Made for some interesting reading at lunch time, and I've learned some stuff I'd never heard of before. I'll be 'googling' for days on some of it, lol

I wish we had a group full of people just like this. A group where we could discuss religion, metaphysics, philosophy you name it and nobody would get all butt hurt and we could all learn about each other without having our threads locked down.

Check to see if a group has been created for just such a discussion. If not, create one and invite me -- I LOVE to discuss this topic as long as it remains respectful!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I bookmarked this thread to read through it (if it still existed) when I got a chance. Such a great read :smile:

I took the quiz and it came up with:

1) Liberal Quakers 100%
    2) Unitarian Universalism 99%
    3) Neo-Pagan 93%
    4) Reform Judaism 91%
    5) Mahayana Buddhism 86%
    23) Mainline - Conservative Christian Protestant 40% (how I grew up)

Been doing a little research on Unitarian Universaliam and might check out the local church tomorrow.

I also agree that a group should be created :) It's been so interesting reading about everything. It's taken me almost all day to make it through all 15 pages because I've been Googling so much!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jedi. I can do that force choke thing to people who disappoint me. Still have to use my hands though.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Wow, I came back to this thread expecting it to be gone today. Awesome that it's continued without belligerence. Made for some interesting reading at lunch time, and I've learned some stuff I'd never heard of before. I'll be 'googling' for days on some of it, lol

I wish we had a group full of people just like this. A group where we could discuss religion, metaphysics, philosophy you name it and nobody would get all butt hurt and we could all learn about each other without having our threads locked down.

Check to see if a group has been created for just such a discussion. If not, create one and invite me -- I LOVE to discuss this topic as long as it remains respectful!

I searched for groups and there are groups with commons themes like "Atheists on MFP" and those that are Agnostic etc. Whether one of the already created groups would want to expand or take on those folks with over views could be a start. Anyone out there in other groups have a suggestion for us ?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I searched for groups and there are groups with commons themes like "Atheists on MFP" and those that are Agnostic etc. Whether one of the already created groups would want to expand or take on those folks with over views could be a start. Anyone out there in other groups have a suggestion for us ?

I have created what will become a private group called Alternative Religious Discussions. If anyone would like to join, please PM me and I will add you to the list of members. I have included a short description of the group, its purpose and rules for membership. Make sure in your PM you include the subject: "Joining Your Group" or something that tells me you want me to add you. Thanks!
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thought this may be a good thread and by alternative I mean anything outside mainstream religion. Obviously without prejudice. so let's see what people follow.

Like following West Ham, you mean? :tongue:

HAH! Love it.

My dad was raised Catholic but doesn't practice anymore and mom's religion depends on which church hires her to play the organ. Hence I was baptised Lutheran but raised Presbyterian and eventually (/unfortunately?) joined the Presbyterian church. Now I consider myself "spiritual but not religious" like a few others on this thread. I appreciate Buddhism the most I think but I've been slacking in learning about it. I can't bring myself to totally denounce God so Atheism isn't right for me, and I don't worship Buddha either....nor do I pray or meditate. I should probably meditate more as I'm sure it would calm my anxious mind, but the thoughts won't stop long enough to. I know it takes a lot of practice and I don't have that kind of patience (hence 4 lbs lost lol) and I don't see any point in praying whatsoever. It's like hoping. "I hope and pray my family member gets better" welllll they didn't. Now what? Did you not pray HARD enough? Agnosticism seems kind of "indifferent/up in the air" and I do feel there is SOMETHING out there... I guess I find likenesses of "God" in everyday life. I just don't like hypocrites telling me what to do or how to live my life. :ohwell:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You hit one of the nails on the head of why I dislike organized religion. The denomination I am baptized in (can't change that, was done when I was but a month old) still does not allow women on the Board of Elders. Women are still primarily shuffled to the kitchen during potlucks and other functions.

Sorry, you don't want me in the kitchen!! LOL

WOW!!! :noway: Exactly why I dislike organized religion also! That's astonishing.
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    In regard to any deities, like the French scientist Pierre-Simon Laplace, I'd have to say, "Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis."
  • westhamrangers
    Options
    Just been through this thread. Very glad I started it and there have been loads of great responses.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jedi. I can do that force choke thing to people who disappoint me. Still have to use my hands though.

I don't know how to break this too you but you may just be choking people. You might want to find yourself a safe house or something like that since you might be wanted for murder.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I don't know how to break this too you but you may just be choking people. You might want to find yourself a safe house or something like that since you might be wanted for murder.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6qdVWYqP6JdBAZo0cprnlZ7ZElEI4B3cU_xp5MAN--Tb8dHZgaA
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I have created what will become a private group called Alternative Religious Discussions. If anyone would like to join, please PM me and I will add you to the list of members. I have included a short description of the group, its purpose and rules for membership. Make sure in your PM you include the subject: "Joining Your Group" or something that tells me you want me to add you. Thanks!

I just wanted to remind folks on here that I did create the group as promised, and have gone ahead and posted some interesting thread topics that would make for great conversation and debate. Feel free to ask for an invite via PM and I'll be sure to send you an invite! I'd like to recruit as many people as possible as this entire subject seems to fascinate many.

Hope to see you there!
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I just wanted to remind folks on here that I did create the group as promised, and have gone ahead and posted some interesting thread topics that would make for great conversation and debate. Feel free to ask for an invite via PM and I'll be sure to send you an invite! I'd like to recruit as many people as possible as this entire subject seems to fascinate many.

Hope to see you there!

I was going to do this myself but since you have already created one I will just join yours. I think it would be best if we get as many people like this concentrated in to the same group.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Hope to see you there!

I was going to do this myself but since you have already created one I will just join yours. I think it would be best if we get as many people like this concentrated in to the same group.

Your invite is "In the mail"!!

:smile:
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The idea of fate has only been touched on a little in this thread and that surprises me a lot since the concept is so important to different beliefs. The concept that we have no control over our destiny is a large part of why I never felt truly at home being 100% Christian. To me, the idea that there is a "grand plan" and I am powerless negates the entire reason for my existence as a person (not my meat-suit but my soul) but I do believe that things happen for a reason, that there are signs, that the universe speaks to us so I have to believe in some sort of fate then right? Ha ha!

As a young girl I read a scifi novel called Soothsayer, forgive me I don't remember the author, about a little girl who could see the future and I have always felt attached to this story because when she saw the future, she saw the multiple possibilities of futures. Depending on the action she took, the path had a final destination, so each moment we choose to act or not act or lie or forgive or love or hate we are choosing a path. That is how I see fate. This is also how I understand the "suffering of the world".
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    The idea of fate has only been touched on a little in this thread and that surprises me a lot since the concept is so important to different beliefs. The concept that we have no control over our destiny is a large part of why I never felt truly at home being 100% Christian. To me, the idea that there is a "grand plan" and I am powerless negates the entire reason for my existence as a person (not my meat-suit but my soul) but I do believe that things happen for a reason, that there are signs, that the universe speaks to us so I have to believe in some sort of fate then right? Ha ha!

As a young girl I read a scifi novel called Soothsayer, forgive me I don't remember the author, about a little girl who could see the future and I have always felt attached to this story because when she saw the future, she saw the multiple possibilities of futures. Depending on the action she took, the path had a final destination, so each moment we choose to act or not act or lie or forgive or love or hate we are choosing a path. That is how I see fate. This is also how I understand the "suffering of the world".

I think it would be a great idea for you to start a thread about Fate in the group! I'm always looking for more topic ideas to discuss! :)