Wendler 531

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for quite a while, now. Well, off and on. I had to kick my own *kitten* after getting off of it - I had made good strength gains with it, then got greedy. Wasted 6+ months on other programming that didn't work as well for me as 5/3/1.

Regarding deloads - I tried the 6-week then deload, but that didn't work well for me. Probably had something to do with me being on a cut, but I was toast in week 5. As such, I'm on the single cycle then deload. That works for me, especially seeing as how I'm 43 yo. I'm sure I don't recover as well as I did (would have) 10-20 years ago.
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am just starting this program after a few years of SL 5x5 I needed the change and I am totally digging the BBB aspect but a bit confused as to doing the 5x10 for the same lift or changing it up. Any input is appreciated.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I did it for a couple years. But, I can't stand all the math. It gets to be annoying with all the percentages. Now, I still lift the same way, but, just use more of a methodology where I lift to a certain rep range, if I hit that rep range for all 5 sets, I increase the weight 10 lbs on the next lift. I do this for a few cycles, then deload. Then back down the weight, and move up again the same way. If I can't hit the rep range for all 5 sets, I stay at that weight until I can. Or, after a deload, I drop it back and move up again.

Also, one other change, on my deload week, I don't do accessory exercises.

So, 531 is solid and it gave me a good foundation. But I did find some problems with it and I've made adjustments that work better for me.

I've been on this program about 2 years. I have everything plugged into an Excel sheet, and it rounds to nearest 5 lbs. After every cycle I add 5/10 lbs to ORM, and it spits out my numbers for the next cycle. I just print it out and keep it in my gym bag.

I don't deload often anymore. I used to deload every 4 weeks, but now only about once a quarter when my body feels tired.

This program does require patience. I have tried to skip a cycle and add too much weight - for me, it's always a bad idea. I need to be content with baby growth every month, and let my lifts grow at their own rate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ELCABRA wrote: »
    I am just starting this program after a few years of SL 5x5 I needed the change and I am totally digging the BBB aspect but a bit confused as to doing the 5x10 for the same lift or changing it up. Any input is appreciated.

Do you mean using the "less boring" version where you would, say do your 531 sets of squats and then 5x10 on deadlifts vs 531 sets of squats plus 5x10 on deadlifts? Or do you mean switching up the type of squat/deadlift/press for the 5x10 sets?

I prefer the "less boring" version because I like getting to do each type of exercise twice a week. I have done both the same exercises for 531 sets and 5x10 sets and I've done different exercises (e.g., flat bench and flat bench vs flat bench and incline bench.) I don't really have a preference on that. Per the book, you can change it up so it's really up to you. Wendler has a post that lists assistance exercises for each.

In case you haven't already been there, the blackironbeast calculator can show a bunch of different variations and how they'd play out for you.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    ELCABRA wrote: »

Do you mean using the "less boring" version where you would, say do your 531 sets of squats and then 5x10 on deadlifts vs 531 sets of squats plus 5x10 on deadlifts? Or do you mean switching up the type of squat/deadlift/press for the 5x10 sets?

I prefer the "less boring" version because I like getting to do each type of exercise twice a week. I have done both the same exercises for 531 sets and 5x10 sets and I've done different exercises (e.g., flat bench and flat bench vs flat bench and incline bench.) I don't really have a preference on that. Per the book, you can change it up so it's really up to you. Wendler has a post that lists assistance exercises for each.

In case you haven't already been there, the blackironbeast calculator can show a bunch of different variations and how they'd play out for you.

blackironbeast is awesome and let's you play with a lot of variables. Been using it since the beginning.

I've been running 531 on and off for a couple years now. Sometimes I switch back to SL5x5 for a reset especially if I'm running a slight cal surplus.
    Currently on cycle 2 for this year. Plan on running it the rest of the year.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've been using it now for 3 "seasons" (the only meaningful lifting I do is during the winter when I'm not racing). While I prefer a bit more volume, I really like Jim's approach/mentality to lifting... and the flexibility of the program means I can tailor things however I need. The downside to that flexibility is that I can sometimes overthink things and get bogged down in details that don't really matter.

It always takes me a couple of cycles to get back to where I left off (this is mostly about technique and the mental side of heavy lifting, not actual strength), but I've seen slow and steady progress with the program.
  • jacksonpt
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JTick wrote: »
    I have everything plugged into an Excel sheet, and it rounds to nearest 5 lbs. After every cycle I add 5/10 lbs to ORM, and it spits out my numbers for the next cycle. I just print it out and keep it in my gym bag.
    I did the same. I keep it in Google Drive and can access it from anywhere. I also built in formulas that, based on previous PRs, calculate reps needed in the current workout to set a new PR - gives me tangible goal to shoot for each day, which I respond better to rather than the more vague AMRAP.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    On cycle 9 now and just did 355 squat for 6 reps. I love the program for flexibility and efficiency. I am doing BBB but have slacked off the accessories due to time constraints . Need to get back to them soon.

I have a love/hate relationship with the AMRAP. I love seeing new rep maxes every week but sometimes the number of reps gets too high to beat the previous week. I have to sometimes just be satisfied with hitting a good solid number and wait for week 3 to max out.

I like that it allows me to compete with myself and yet have a bad day or week but still get just the working sets in and know I hit my targets.

Using the Wendlerized app on Android to track so no math needed.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 4th cycle. Getting close to a 200 lb bench, 300 lbs squat, and 350 lb deadlift.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I notice since I have been losing chest fat, My main goal, my bench is suffering but hey if I got to lose all my chest strength to get pecs I don't care.

Simple solution. Bigger triceps and bigger upper back. Those are the real powerhouses when it comes to a big bench

I do want to see how much of a V taper my genetics can get.

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    531 is a solid program. I recommend it to a lot of people, especially those who are having difficulty busting through plateaus.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    While I prefer a bit more volume,
    @jacksonpt It doesn't sound like you have Beyond 5/3/1. Get that, it makes up for any lack in total volume.

Really what I just said goes for anybody interested in 5/3/1. The Beyond book offers some great "add-ons" for a lack of better words. Also, if you really get into it; Jim's membership site is $20/month and is truly the best $20 you'll ever spend on your training. He has a lot of newer "stuff" regarding templates, cycling, and general approaches to training. I think I'm going on 3 years using Jim's principles. I don't use a standard template at this point but I still use his basic principles.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have the android app? I'm a little confused as to what to actually do on any given day. I did the first day today and the app isn't very intuitive. (or I am very stupid!)

I trained OHP, DL, bench and squat today at 65%, 75% and 85% of my 1RM with the last set being AMRAP. Once I entered that into the app it sent me straight to week 2. The weights were nice and easy as it's the first day.

Stronglifts and madcow both assume you are going to train 3 times a week and make that clear on the apps.

Did I just train a whole week in 1 day? :/

If I plan to train 3 times a week do I do the press, DL, bench and squat 3 sets of 5 at the same weight for those 3 sessions then move onto the next week?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kindrabbit wrote: »
    Does anyone have the android app? I'm a little confused as to what to actually do on any given day. I did the first day today and the app isn't very intuitive. (or I am very stupid!)

I trained OHP, DL, bench and squat today at 65%, 75% and 85% of my 1RM with the last set being AMRAP. Once I entered that into the app it sent me straight to week 2. The weights were nice and easy as it's the first day.

Stronglifts and madcow both assume you are going to train 3 times a week and make that clear on the apps.

If I plan to train 3 times a week do I do the press, DL, bench and squat 3 sets of 5 at the same weight for those 3 sessions then move onto the next week?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lift.fivethreeonestrength&hl=en

Yes you trained a whole week in one day.

Personally I would do. squat deadlift by themselves on days and do bench and OHP in same day.
  • jacksonpt
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    @jacksonpt It doesn't sound like you have Beyond 5/3/1. Get that, it makes up for any lack in total volume.

I have it, and I've skimmed it, but need to read it more thoroughly. What I loved about the first book (simplicity) is most definitely lost in the Beyond book. I'm sure the programming is still simple, but the approach/mindset seemed different. The first book struck me as, "don't think so much, just go in and do these sets/reps." While the Beyond book felt more like, "here, let me help you overthink things. What did you have for breakfast? What color shirt are you wearing? Were you born on an odd or even day? Ok, then do this, but only if it's Monday. If it's not Monday, then..." All of which is probably great for people who love to lift and who love the process. But for me, it's just a means to an end. I love the progression/results, but don't love the process.

I dunno... maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for the added complexity (sophistication?) of the second book. Either way, I'm going to give it another read and see what sticks.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You might want to go use the blackironbeast calculator, even if you actually use your app to track things. It will lay out the workout for each day so you can see how your week is scheduled.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options

Honestly, buy the book it's all in there. Don't rely on the apps as Jim had little to nothing to do with them and many took his work without his approval.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I have it, and I've skimmed it, but need to read it more thoroughly. What I loved about the first book (simplicity) is most definitely lost in the Beyond book. I'm sure the programming is still simple, but the approach/mindset seemed different. The first book struck me as, "don't think so much, just go in and do these sets/reps." While the Beyond book felt more like, "here, let me help you overthink things. What did you have for breakfast? What color shirt are you wearing? Were you born on an odd or even day? Ok, then do this, but only if it's Monday. If it's not Monday, then..." All of which is probably great for people who love to lift and who love the process. But for me, it's just a means to an end. I love the progression/results, but don't love the process.

I dunno... maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for the added complexity (sophistication?) of the second book. Either way, I'm going to give it another read and see what sticks.

The good thing about Jim is his principles never change (use a training max, start light, shoot for PR's, train hard, etc). I can see how Beyond seems complicated but it's really the add-on type things that are new. The best thing I would say is to implement either basic 5/3/1 that you already know and add First Set Last as the multiple sets and not the AMRAP set. Or use the 5's Progression near the end of the book with First Set Last and possibly use the Joker Sets too. Just look at those two things and it will keep it simple for you.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lift.fivethreeonestrength&hl=en

Yes you trained a whole week in one day.

Personally I would do. squat deadlift by themselves on days and do bench and OHP in same day.

You definitely need the book for this, it's really all in there. If you're talking about doing 5/3/1 sets for both Press and Bench in the same session that would be less then ideal for sure because whatever you do first will fatigue most of the same muscles for the 2nd. If you're talking 5/3/1 and then something like BBB or FSL then sure you could do that.

Day 1
    - Squat @ 5/3/1
    - Bench Press @ First Set Last
    - Upper Back exericse
    - Back Raises
    - Abs or Obliques (1 or 2 exercises only)

Day 2
    - Deadlift @ 5/3/1
    - Press @ 5/3/1
    - Upper Back Exercises
    - Ab or Obliques (1 or 2 exercises only)

Day 3
    - Squat @ First Set Last
    - Bench @ 5/3/1 sets
    - Upper back
    - Back Raises
    - Abs or Obliques

This isn't even my own thing, this is something similar that Jim posted on his membership site. Keep it simple.