I Fooled Millions Into Thinking Chocolate Helps Weight Loss. Here's How

Options
A great Article and a good example of why you shouldn't believe it just because it's in the popular press
“Slim by Chocolate!” the headlines blared. A team of German researchers had found that people on a low-carb diet lost weight 10 percent faster if they ate a chocolate bar every day. It made the front page of Bild, Europe’s largest daily newspaper, just beneath their update about the Germanwings crash. From there, it ricocheted around the internet and beyond, making news in more than 20 countries and half a dozen languages. It was discussed on television news shows. It appeared in glossy print, most recently in the June issue of Shape magazine (“Why You Must Eat Chocolate Daily”, page 128). Not only does chocolate accelerate weight loss, the study found, but it leads to healthier cholesterol levels and overall increased well-being. The Bild story quotes the study’s lead author, Johannes Bohannon, Ph.D., research director of the Institute of Diet and Health: “The best part is you can buy chocolate everywhere.”

I am Johannes Bohannon, Ph.D. Well, actually my name is John, and I’m a journalist. I do have a Ph.D., but it’s in the molecular biology of bacteria, not humans. The Institute of Diet and Health? That’s nothing more than a website.............

http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800

Replies

• rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eye opener on how easily people are tricked. Sad But true.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    That original article is worth reading in its entirety. Thanks for sharing.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that the people who published this information shouldn't have been more careful, but given the number of benefits to eating chocolate that people have been discussing for the past decade, saying that it is beneficial to weight loss isn't that farfetched. It would be interesting to see the results of a properly done study that looks at this.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Tim, you missed the point. The point was how easy it is to cook research.

I've bookmarked the linked list of dodgy publishers. I have a feeling that will be very useful around these parts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that the people who published this information shouldn't have been more careful, but given the number of benefits to eating chocolate that people have been discussing for the past decade, saying that it is beneficial to weight loss isn't that farfetched. It would be interesting to see the results of a properly done study that looks at this.

really???? I am gonna start calling you Sheldon cause you apparently don't get sarcasm...
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    ..."Frank said it was a favorite of the “whole food” fanatics. “Bitter chocolate tastes bad, therefore it must be good for you,” he said. “It’s like a religion.”

I'd like to meet Dr. Frank.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you must be a blast at parties….

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Tim, you missed the point. The point was how easy it is to cook research.

I've bookmarked the linked list of dodgy publishers. I have a feeling that will be very useful around these parts.

Caveat to my own post: it was also about how sad science reporting is.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

really???? I am gonna start calling you Sheldon cause you apparently don't get sarcasm...
    His mother had him tested.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I fooled my hubby in to a home "cure" for cold sores that went like this. He could not find any holes in my argument and he remains cured to this day. I shared my "cure" with my (MD) sister and she cried, "unethical!" If I were a doctor maybe, but I made no special claims. Here's my "cure".

Cold sores can be caused by stress. B vitamins are good for stress. I found a B vitamin formulation that had a large label "STRESS" on it. I told hubby how it worked and I stressed it was to reduce his stress. His chronic cold sores cleared up and he continues to take his "STRESS" pill daily.

Can you guess how this worked? What are the flaws in my strategy?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I fooled my hubby in to a home "cure" for cold sores that went like this. He could not find any holes in my argument and he remains cured to this day. I shared my "cure" with my (MD) sister and she cried, "unethical!" If I were a doctor maybe, but I made no special claims. Here's my "cure".

Cold sores can be caused by stress. B vitamins are good for stress. I found a B vitamin formulation that had a large label "STRESS" on it. I told hubby how it worked and I stressed it was to reduce his stress. His chronic cold sores cleared up and he continues to take his "STRESS" pill daily.

You need to post this anecdote in the ayurveda thread.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

tyTc1Nl.jpg
  • ackeejag
    ackeejag Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you can be fooled into thinking high calorie sugar snacks will make you lose weight, you probably weren't serious about losing weight in the first place.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I. Want. This. Placebo.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ackeejag wrote: »
    If you can be fooled into thinking high calorie sugar snacks will make you lose weight, you probably weren't serious about losing weight in the first place.

tyTc1Nl.jpg[/quote]
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ackeejag wrote: »

is that you tim?
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Wow, the article definitely shows how people are fooled and just swallow false information, with out doing any investigating themselves.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't".
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Even when researchers aren't promoting an angle, reporters very often misunderstand scientific studies and write sensational stories about the report, rather than accurate ones.

The other thing that reporters and the general public don't get is that just because a study comes out saying "Such-and-such is good for you", that doesn't mean that the results are set in stone and infallibly true because all scientists everywhere are nodding in agreement with the results, because SCIENCE. Like I saw an article the other day called something like "This study proves why dinosaurs became extinct." Bull. It's one study and the reporter isn't trained to see the potential flaws that would skew the results. Science is a process, and often it's the process of one scientist looking at another scientist's study and going, "Wow, you used THAT methodology? No, no, no. I'm going to do a similar study using THIS methodology and my results will be different (and CORRECT), you'll see."

In a lot of ways science isn't so much about trying to prove as trying to disprove. I take "miracle food" reports with the biggest grain of salt.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Even when researchers aren't promoting an angle, reporters very often misunderstand scientific studies and write sensational stories about the report, rather than accurate ones.

The other thing that reporters and the general public don't get is that just because a study comes out saying "Such-and-such is good for you", that doesn't mean that the results are set in stone and infallibly true because all scientists everywhere are nodding in agreement with the results, because SCIENCE. Like I saw an article the other day called something like "This study proves why dinosaurs became extinct." Bull. It's one study and the reporter isn't trained to see the potential flaws that would skew the results. Science is a process, and often it's the process of one scientist looking at another scientist's study and going, "Wow, you used THAT methodology? No, no, no. I'm going to do a similar study using THIS methodology and my results will be different (and CORRECT), you'll see."

In a lot of ways science isn't so much about trying to prove as trying to disprove. I take "miracle food" reports with the biggest grain of salt.

QFT