Anyone tried Beachbody programs or Shakeology

Options
I was thinking about starting PiYo beach body program and trying shakeology for a month. I'm not a huge breakfast eater during the work week so I thought that this might be a good replacement. I'm wondering if anyone has tried there programs and if so what are the pro's and con's to them. I'm not planning on sticking to the diets recommended because i'm going to do that part here.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There's really no point in buying into shakeology. Complete waste of money in my eyes. It's not needed for success with the Beach Body programs and it isn't needed for weight loss.

Don't waste your hard earned money OP.
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have done a lot of Beachbody programs (Insanity, T25, Les Mills Combat & Pump) and Im currently doing P90. I love the beachbody programs, they are fun and you can do them at home. I love Shakeology, but it is pricey. I actually became a Beachbody coach for the discount!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Pros:

Cons: (from what I hear since I haven't tried it myself) it tastes like chalk and is super expensive. Could replicate it with a good whey protein and multivitamin for less than 1/2 the cost.
  • hd848
    hd848 Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Shakeology didn't really give me added energy, but it's GREAT for getting rid of cravings. If you have a sweet-tooth, I definitely recommend it. Really helpful at 2pm but even if you have it for breakfast, you don't desire dessert at night. Awesome.
    I have done PiYo, T25, and I own Insanity but I haven't tried it yet. They work. I've been doing PiYo the longest because it's low-impact and very relaxing. And I love Chalene Johnson. She rocks. I highly recommend it.
    Cons: they're expensive. But if you think you'll use it, do it. I don't have time to workout every day but my free beachbody coach and I have worked on finding what works best: Piyo or gym 3x a week & active stuff outside on weekends (biking, hiking, etc). She encouraged me to try 20/80 Paleo diet: Paleo during the week, carbs allowed on weekends. Turns out I wasn't eating enough and wasn't losing weight (go figure). MFP has really helped with figuring out how MUCH to eat. Just make sure you're eating the right stuff. :) Hope this was helpful!

65328737.png
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    The only Beachbody I've done is Brazilian Butt Lift. The only worthwhile segment was the one with the floor exercises. I did it for 4 days and gave up because it was cut like a music video and I was never able to get the dance moves down, so I wasn't getting an effective workout. But I've been told that's an anomaly and the rest are much better.

As for shakeology, I think I saw a thread where it was $4+/serving and wasn't that great nutritionally. You would be better off buying a protein powder for less than a quarter of that.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is kind of like Dumbo's feather.

Yeah, you can lose weight using it, but it doesn't have any special power. You can lose weight just the same without it.
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your help. i think i'm going to skip the shakes then and just do my own if i want them.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I was actually recently given a sample of every flavor of shakeology for winning a monthly challenge for number of activity minutes. My opinion: Don't waste your money. Most of the flavors taste so gross you would have to doctor them up with all kinds of other stuff to make them worth drinking. If you buy into all of the "superfood" hype, then you really need to do some more research. Some of the things my beachbody "coach" posts about the "benefits" of Shakeology on Facebook make me giggle.
    I get everything I need through my diet, daily protein shake and vitamins.

The workouts are overpriced, but I own a few of their programs myself and use them on non-running days. Piyo is one that I wish I hadn't wasted my money on, but a lot of people love it. It's slow moving and requires a lot of holding yourself up in downward dog. I don't like doing that for 30 minutes at a time.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    The workouts are solid. Shakeology is actually very tasty, but not tasty enough to lighten my pocketbook. That stuff is expensive. Don't give a coach your email address, they will never leave you alone.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I really like the 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts. I also liked p90X but was not in good shape when I did that and it got too tough and long but the cueing and pace were great.

Didn't like Turbo Jam but I'm not a dance-y person.

I won't do Shakeology just because there are cheaper alternatives.
  • joyfulton94
    joyfulton94 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I bought Slim in 6 years ago and have done it several times (as my weight has yo yo'd several times). I saw very noticeable changes in my body shape even though I didn't lose a lot of weight but I wasn't focused on nutrition like I needed to be either. No info on the shakes.
  • Lexicpt
    Lexicpt Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Never tried Shakeology. I use an $18 protein powder that serves the same purpose. However, I LOVE the Beachbody work outs.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up for slim in 6.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    The workout programs are great, I've got a library full of them. Like someone else, I became a coach to receive the discount. I don't sell it to anyone, 'cause I hate selling. I do buy Shakeology but only use it every other day (opposite my protein shake). I make shakes out of it, but you can also mix it (chocolate) with plain Greek yogurt for a chocolate mousse type snack. I do think the pre- and probiotics in Shakeology keep me regular, and there are other very good nutrients. That said, it is pricey, so it's really up to you. I think it tastes fine, but again I usually stick with the chocolate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    complete and utter waste of money ....
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love beachbody programs...I have Brazil Butt Lift, P90X, Chalean Extreme, 21 Day Fix and Les Mills Combat....I love all of them....I don't buy shakeology because I can't afford it and I don't follow the meal plans of the programs except for when I did the 21 Day Fix, but even then I weighed and logged the food that I put into the containers....I just zeroed out the containers on my scale.....have fun!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ^ you can get a structured lifting program online for free....
  • missyjoy2078
    missyjoy2078 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of personal taste. I love shakeology but I would never just add water. I modify them with almond milk, coffee, frozen fruit and I LOVE them. I also love piyo and noticed a big difference in my abs.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    The original P90X and Insanity are good programs for home use. The pros are they are good calorie burns and are easy to follow and stick with. The cons are you need to buy a lot of your own equipment (for P90X at least), is gimmicky and you get upsold constantly by Beachbody. Also, you can get the original programs on sale or even used. The newer programs are not as good imo and cost way too much.

Shakeology is OK but very expensive. It is not magic and definitely not required for weight loss.