Anyone tried Beachbody programs or Shakeology

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Shakelogy... meh. I mean, it's the most filling shake I've had, IMO, but definitely not worth the price. The tropical strawberry was nasty though... chocolate wasn't bad.

I've done a bunch of programs though and I really like them! Slim in 6 was what I started with, I admit it was boring after a while but it's easy enough that everyone can do it (took me a few tries though, because I was so out of shape). Then I did Les Mills Pump, ChaLean Extreme, PiYo, and now I've been doing Les Mills Combat for 6 months because I love it so much, and will probably pretty much do it forever (at least the Combat workouts... not too fond of the HIITs). Got bored with the others after a couple months, but they're mostly 2 month programs so it worked out. ChaLean Extreme gave me a pretty good basis for weight lifting but I had to buy heavy weights to go with it (I still do the exercises as my base for lifting). PiYo was fantastic for the core and I should really dust it off once a week.

I bought Turbo Fire but could never really get into it because I couldn't keep up with the moves, and rocking body which I found boring.

I suggest finding a coach and waiting for a sale though. I got Combat for $30 with the gloves, for example. Just don't get sucked into getting a challenge pack.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    The original P90X and Insanity are good programs for home use. The pros are they are good calorie burns and are easy to follow and stick with. The cons are you need to buy a lot of your own equipment (for P90X at least), is gimmicky and you get upsold constantly by Beachbody. Also, you can get the original programs on sale or even used. The newer programs are not as good imo and cost way too much.

Shakeology is OK but very expensive. It is not magic and definitely not required for weight loss.

Disagree about the newer programs not being as good, at least for Insanity. I did the original Insanity, which was great. I've also done the newer Insanity Max30, and thought it was even better than the original. I haven't done P90X though, so I can't speak to that. I found PIYO to be a good workout, but it just progressed too slowly for my taste.

I like the chocolate Shakeology, after I put extra stuff in it. I did find that it took away my cravings for junk food. But, it always seemed to upset my stomach, so I don't drink it anymore. Plus, it is very expensive.

• jessimacd
    jessimacd Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Instead of spending your money on Shakeology, make little baggies of mixed berries/bananas/whatever else to freeze, so that all you have to do in the morning is throw the contents of a baggie into a blender/magic bullet with a scoop of protein powder and milk (I use almond milk, vanilla unsweetened), and you're good to go!

I've tried the chocolate Shakeology and much prefer the Leanfit brand whey powder I get at Costco.

I can't speak to the workouts though.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I tried the insanity workout once and it was pretty boring.
  • KMBarnes1981
    KMBarnes1981 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Imo the workout programmes are sound but shakeology is a huge con. I lost my mind to the fairies a few years back and got sucked in to buying a pack. Meh. Left me with a very sore stomach and a lighter wallet. Stick to a healthy diet, and supplement with a protein powder if you feel it necessary. Good luck!!!
  • ElyseBradley
    ElyseBradley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So there's a lot of bashing on shakeology and I feel like I need to put in my 2 cents. First off, I was a little skeptical about it because it is so expensive, but I've been on it just a week and I can tell a huge difference in my sugar/junk food cravings as well as energy. I have a killer sweet tooth and to have such a sudden loss of desire to eat sweets has been awesome. I have also struggled before with being tired throughout the day as I often do not sleep well, but I've noticed a marked difference in being more awake and alert. That being said, I think I've had these results because I was not eating a well-balanced diet previously. Shakeology is made for those of us who are too lazy and don't want to take 12 multi-vitamins and eat raw fruits and veggies all day. But if you're the type that can do that each day, more power to you! Personally I think the shake is worth the hype if you're like me. I like it with nonfat milk, ice and peanut butter powder. And I'm also doing piyo and loving it, although it's hard on my wrists...but kicking my abs into killer shape!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree that Shakeology helped me a lot with my sweet tooth.. but I was also starting to lose weight and was very motivated at the time. Still not worth $120.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    So there's a lot of bashing on shakeology and I feel like I need to put in my 2 cents. First off, I was a little skeptical about it because it is so expensive, but I've been on it just a week and I can tell a huge difference in my sugar/junk food cravings as well as energy. I have a killer sweet tooth and to have such a sudden loss of desire to eat sweets has been awesome. I have also struggled before with being tired throughout the day as I often do not sleep well, but I've noticed a marked difference in being more awake and alert. That being said, I think I've had these results because I was not eating a well-balanced diet previously. Shakeology is made for those of us who are too lazy and don't want to take 12 multi-vitamins and eat raw fruits and veggies all day. But if you're the type that can do that each day, more power to you! Personally I think the shake is worth the hype if you're like me. I like it with nonfat milk, ice and peanut butter powder. And I'm also doing piyo and loving it, although it's hard on my wrists...but kicking my abs into killer shape!

Strong first post. :/

Too lazy to eat raw fruits and veggies? How hard is it to not cook something? Harder than making an overpriced shake? And who takes 12 vitamins a day?

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

Curious first post.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if you are too lazy to swallow a multi vitamin then you have some serious issues. are you too lazy to drink water too …oh wait, you would die if that happened...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Why not give eating real, nourishing food a chance?

Here are some on-the-run snacks I grab between boot camp and commute (in no particular order):

- fresh cold, crisp apple (this I can eat and drive at the same time)
    - cup of hot homemade lentil or while bean soup from the gym cafeteria
    - protein bar (I like Quest for high protein, Kind for taste)
    - Half bagel with cream cheese (toast, schmear and go!)
    - hard boiled egg
    - small bite(s) of cheese and some nuts
    - Dannon lite yogurt (lots of sweet creamy yumminess for only 80 calories!)
    - granola bar
    - peanut butter crackers

Just mix em up, never gets old.

No reps, no multi-level marketing nonsense required :)

Food: it's the de-tox cleanse for 2015 :)

because you can't sell that for 19.95 a month and make millions.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Shakeology is kind of like Dumbo's feather.

Yeah, you can lose weight using it, but it doesn't have any special power. You can lose weight just the same without it.

Dumbo's feather....I love that.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    It's a real shame that the fitness industry is crowded with these bunk plans and products. Add to that bad science reporting about nutrition and Dr. Oz shilling every crap supplement out there, it's no wonder people can't believe there is a simple, if not fast or convenient, way to keep their weight in check.