Please confirm this is all true...

Options

Replies

• Taleatia
    Taleatia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    In line with a lot of these great responses...I found over time that a lot of lean protein, tons of vegetables and some high quality carbs made it possible for me to stay at a caloric deficit long enough to lose weight. Technically you can eat 1400 calories per day of Oreos, but you'll also probably go crazy from hunger. Saving up for Jimmy John's once in awhile sounds perfectly sensible to me :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    mizztara3 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the responses! I try to eat
    pretty healthy overall, but I want to be able to have a Jimmy johns sandwich and Salt and vinegar chips twice a week lol Friday night is burger night and wine night. I run a lot, so I think I can have the calories under control, I just want more carbs mixed in with the good stuff. Plus, I like green smoothies with bananas and the carb count is bad, I add peanut butter too.
    Just make sure to understand that if the scale goes up after having these things, it's purely because of the sodium, and not because you ate badly or overdid it. :)

But yes, calories in, calories out! Enjoy your food and lose weight to boot!
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    My max weight loss was 192lbs, i lost most of my weight eating junk food(high carb foods). There are many on here who believe "it's all about macros and calories" I threw the macros thing out the window to prove a point to everyone on my friend's list, it's all about calories. I would eat junk, lift, and i was getting good results while i stayed within my calories. There is one caveat though, high processed foods(usually high in sugar and carbs) have a tendency to cause over eating, they are calorie dense. They don't fill you up as much and you get hungry.

Hence that's why i said "max weight loss" i gained back about 50lbs. So nutrition is important for the long term.

Professor of nutrition also proved this point, he ate 2/3 of his diet from junk food, ho ho's twinkies, little debbies. He lost 27lbs in 10 weeks, and his HEALTH IMPROVED.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

+1 to this. I don't watch my macros because that helps me lose more weight somehow, I watch them so I don't become a hangry cravings-monster and end up sabotaging myself or giving up XD

I'm pretty lax about my macros other than that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    You need protein while you're losing weight unless you want to lose an extremely high proportion of muscle along with your excess fat.
    Carbs are muscle sparing too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You need protein while you're losing weight unless you want to lose an extremely high proportion of muscle along with your excess fat.
    Carbs are muscle sparing too.

@ninerbuff Thanks - can you elaborate on the implications of that statement for someone trying to calculate their protein requirements?

The formula that I've seen quoted over and over is 0.6-0.8g of protein is required daily per pound of bodyweight, or for someone who is very overweight, 1g protein per pound of LBM, to minimize muscle loss while cutting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses! I try to eat
    pretty healthy overall, but I want to be able to have a Jimmy johns sandwich and Salt and vinegar chips twice a week lol Friday night is burger night and wine night. I run a lot, so I think I can have the calories under control, I just want more carbs mixed in with the good stuff. Plus, I like green smoothies with bananas and the carb count is bad, I add peanut butter too.

Sounds lovely. In the context of an overall deficit, this totally works.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    To keep it simple: yes, if you keep a caloric deficit you will lose weight, simple as that.
    It becomes more complex when you consider other factors, however.
    Certain foods that are nutrient-dense and high in fiber and protein tend to be more filling, and balancing out your fats/carbs/proteins will give you optimal energy levels (making the weight loss much more tolerable and therefore you're less likely to give up).
    And just because you lose weight, doesn't always mean you're healthier. Losing weight can and will improve your health, but ensuring that you consume an adequate intake of certain vitamins and minerals (while limiting added sugars) will help with your immune system and protect against other illnesses.
  • mizztara3
    mizztara3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info and tips, very helpful!
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So I've been reading a lot of posts on losing weight and it all having to do with calories and not necessarily what you are eating, just how many calories for the day or week. It doesn't get more basic than that, if you really think about it, but I'm having issues believing it, so I want confirmation :smile: So if I'm at 1400 calories, it doesn't matter how many carbs I have? I could have a ton of carbs every day, as long as I stay below my allotted calories? I'm having trouble with this because I've always lost weight doing low carb and would prefer eating what I want and looking at the calories. I also don't factor in exercise at all, even though I workout 6 days a week because I don't trust it. Anyways, I was just looking at how many carbs I've been having and I don't like it, so just want reassurance that it is ok. Thanks!

The first time around I did this and was miserable. Always super hungry!! I mean I lost the weight and was always under my calorie intake goal, but I was tired and hungry all day everyday.

The second time around (now), I'm paying a lot more attention to what I eat. Yes, still not going over my calorie intake goal for the day... but making sure I get my protein in, fats in, and not going overboard with my carb intake (don't cut it out completely!!!) has honestly helped me stay faithful to my lifestyle change. This time around I am not miserable and hungry all the time and I really think it is because of the foods I am eating :)

I agree with this. Also, you can be super thin and have terrible health, so I believe it's important to keep the sugar and starchy carbs to a minimum and eat plenty of fibrous foods, veggies, protein and healthy fats. If you only care about being skinny, then as long as you are at a deficit, you can eat only junk if you really want, but your health will eventually suffer. Whereas, making the vast majority of your food nutrient dense will pay dividends to your health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    So I've been reading a lot of posts on losing weight and it all having to do with calories and not necessarily what you are eating, just how many calories for the day or week. It doesn't get more basic than that, if you really think about it, but I'm having issues believing it, so I want confirmation :smile: So if I'm at 1400 calories, it doesn't matter how many carbs I have? I could have a ton of carbs every day, as long as I stay below my allotted calories? I'm having trouble with this because I've always lost weight doing low carb and would prefer eating what I want and looking at the calories. I also don't factor in exercise at all, even though I workout 6 days a week because I don't trust it. Anyways, I was just looking at how many carbs I've been having and I don't like it, so just want reassurance that it is ok. Thanks!

My max weight loss was 192lbs, i lost most of my weight eating junk food(high carb foods). There are many on here who believe "it's all about macros and calories" I threw the macros thing out the window to prove a point to everyone on my friend's list, it's all about calories. I would eat junk, lift, and i was getting good results while i stayed within my calories. There is one caveat though, high processed foods(usually high in sugar and carbs) have a tendency to cause over eating, they are calorie dense. They don't fill you up as much and you get hungry.

Hence that's why i said "max weight loss" i gained back about 50lbs. So nutrition is important for the long term.

Professor of nutrition also proved this point, he ate 2/3 of his diet from junk food, ho ho's twinkies, little debbies. He lost 27lbs in 10 weeks, and his HEALTH IMPROVED.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

You gained back 50 pounds? Wow. Can you elaborate more about how you used calories, macros etc, and what your experience was?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

a calorie is a unit of energy...your body requires XXXX amount of energy to function optimally and maintain the status quot...you consume a balance of energy, you maintain. If you consume more energy than your body needs to maintain, that surplus of energy is stored as body fat...your energy reserves. When you consume less energy than your body requires, that deficit of energy has to be made up for...which is why you burn fat...your energy reserves.

Yes...it's that easy.

What your diet consists of, however, will impact satiety, performance, and your overall nutrition.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I did it that way ...I started off just counting calories, but you work out the hunger implications quickly of not balancing your diet

Suffice to say I lost 52lbs and maintain by calorie counting ...I keep an eye on my protein and fats macros, eat a wide range of vegetables, and hit about 300g carbs most days ...I love toast and rice with my vegetables and crisps

You should eat back exercise calories too though, at least half of MFP database, if you're following MFP method
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

I've lost 77.4lbs and I live mostly on carbs. I pretty much eat whatever I want as long as it fits in my calories.

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have days of just eating biscuits (and I will keep doing that), but it really is true that you are much hungrier on those days. I make a conscious decision - I really want to eat this chocolate or these biscuits, but I know I will be pacing the house starving late that night and will have to grit my teeth to keep from tucking into food beyond my calories. I need cast iron willpower on the days that I indulge in those things more than I need it when I don't, which sounds counter intuitive.

Don't let anyone shame you or scold you into only eating certain kinds of foods, but eating what you like has consequences you need to be aware of. With great power comes great responsibility.

On the health issue, I find that when I allow myself whatever I like (within calories) including sugar and junk, I soon enough cycle around to being in the mood for fruit and veggies. I doubt there is anyone on the planet who just wants to eat chocolate and carbs all day. Allow yourself to choose what you really want and it might often be something healthy! Life is too short and calories are too scarce to force down something you don't like.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Exactly that, if weight loss is your sole concern then the calorie defecit is all you need, no matter how it is achieved.

When I was losing weight I didnt balance my macros or follow a particular diet or anything, just tried to stay within that limit.

What I found was that naturally I came around to eating more whole foods, and more healthier foods, because they left me feeling more satisfied for less calories. Its how I ended up making it work for me, but it certainly wasnt intentional.

Two tips I found?
    1) Look at the calorie balance for the week. Some days you are up, some days you are down, so long as its right at the end of the week its all good. This spared me stressing about every single day, or the odd days I did go over.

2) Dont restrict anything (obviously that you dont need to). While I did come round to eating healthier foods it was by choice, not necessity. I still enjoyed some junk as well, its all about balance!

• ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes it has worked for me, I am still not the healthiest eater, that's something I need to work on. Don't fear your exercise calories though, eat half of them back to account for inaccuracies.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The particular foods you eat matter in regards to nutrition and health but only calories matter for weight loss.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition/dp/1605988294

So many people subscribe to one diet or another and the truth is that it comes down to calories eaten vs calories burned -- you need daily exercise of some type to stay healthy as your body was meant to move and do things not just sit on a couch -- if you do a lot of cardio or strength training they are all great things depending on what you are trying to accomplish and how you want your body to be/look.