I can't motivate

Options
I cannot motivate you. I can cheer "way to go" from a hundred miles away, but it that really going to make you get up and exercise tomorrow?

if you want to eat pizza, wings, a burrito, or a cheeseburger - i will probably say "go for it!" because i know that these foods aren't "evil." and that you can make allowances for them and you probably should... those things are delicious.

I will click "like" on your daily streak, and on your daily diary completion... but are those likes going to make you log tomorrow? Probably not.

Don't look to your family, SO, co-workers to help. It's not their job. There is enough temptation out there that it doesn't make sense to get angry at your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend for eating a bag of chips in your general vicinity. If you depend on them, you will resent them and they will resent you, and it'll end with you eating a pint of cookie dough ice cream while hiding in the closet.

All I can do, really, is let you know that you are not the only one doing this. And although you have to do it yourself, you don't have to do it alone. The people here are all doing the same things in a variety of ways.

you see, there isn't anyone on MFP who can adequately hold you accountable except you. There isn't anyone who can motivate you except you. you have to pick yourself up every day and do the work. You have to keep track of what you are eating and make sure that you are burning more. You have to look at that hill, that barbell, that treadmill and say to yourself "just one more." Because, we don't know what you've done, and we're not there to make you do more.

So, I can't motivate you. I can only strive to inspire you and allow you to inspire me. But we each have to do this on our own, but not alone. Find people to share with, but do not depend on people to provide you with motivation. because they will fall short, and they just become the next scapegoat.

TL; DR -- "Do or do not. There is no 'try.'" --Yoda

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I cannot motivate you. I can cheer "way to go" from a hundred miles away, but it that really going to make you get up and exercise tomorrow?

if you want to eat pizza, wings, a burrito, or a cheeseburger - i will probably say "go for it!" because i know that these foods aren't "evil." and that you can make allowances for them and you probably should... those things are delicious.

I will click "like" on your daily streak, and on your daily diary completion... but are those likes going to make you log tomorrow? Probably not.

Don't look to your family, SO, co-workers to help. It's not their job. There is enough temptation out there that it doesn't make sense to get angry at your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend for eating a bag of chips in your general vicinity. If you depend on them, you will resent them and they will resent you, and it'll end with you eating a pint of cookie dough ice cream while hiding in the closet.

All I can do, really, is let you know that you are not the only one doing this. And although you have to do it yourself, you don't have to do it alone. The people here are all doing the same things in a variety of ways.

you see, there isn't anyone on MFP who can adequately hold you accountable except you. There isn't anyone who can motivate you except you. you have to pick yourself up every day and do the work. You have to keep track of what you are eating and make sure that you are burning more. You have to look at that hill, that barbell, that treadmill and say to yourself "just one more." Because, we don't know what you've done, and we're not there to make you do more.

So, I can't motivate you. I can only strive to inspire you and allow you to inspire me. But we each have to do this on our own, but not alone. Find people to share with, but do not depend on people to provide you with motivation. because they will fall short, and they just become the next scapegoat.

@wolverine66 This is SUCH a great post... appreciate you taking time to post it for everyone! I agree, I can do my thing and if it inspires someone, awesome but I can't pull motivation from within anyone to continue on. That's where I find my motivation, from within myself. Sometimes it's hard but it really is the only way to pick up the weights, get in the pool, go for a walk etc. No one can make us do that... only we have control over those things. :)

That's not a bad thing though because when we succeed we feel proud because we know WE followed through and did that! <3
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
  • Tezzi_B
    Tezzi_B Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i love it.... very wise words... we are after all the ones that got ourselves into this situation therefore we are the ones to get ourselves out of this situation... but we can all have a little help and encouragement from our MFP friends :smiley:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    just going to bump this once
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

This is great, and SO true!!!