I don't like veggies so how do I eat healthy?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    They now sell peanut butter cups mixed with chocolate and you could dip carrots into them! Granted, it would probably take up one entire meal for the day BUT you'd definitely enjoy it.

Here's a product called Fruitein. It's a powder that you turn into a milk shake - like a protein shake but made of fruits. It's really tasty. They even make one that's a mix of veggie and fruit. I love the red and blue mixes which are red and bluish/purple fruits.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/controller?sourceType=ps&source=google&adGroup=Brand_General&keyword=Vitamin-Shoppes&cm_mmc=Google+AdWords-_-US_Brand-_-Brand_General-_-Vitamin-Shoppes&mkwid=sQQC7vdpL&pcrid=19532663869&kw=vitamin-shoppes&match=b&N=0&Ntk=SiteSearch&Ntt=fruitein&Nty=1&D=fruitein&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchall

FYI - The vitamin shop will give you the product at the lower price in the store IF you tell them you saw it online. :) I've gotten them to do that.

Monica
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your post. As several suggested, I just need to do it and find a way to enjoy them. Guess I'll try buying a bunch of different veggies and try cooking them in different ways to see if I can find ways that I will like them.

I think for some of us, passing down from our parents to our kids, do we even know how to cook veggies? I'm trying to learn, but getting stuck on a few. I just recently steamed baby carrots and used spray butter and they were great. Totally not a carrot fan until now. Personally, I need a cooking class to learn.

Keep trying different things and different ways of cooking them.
  • bluebike2013
    bluebike2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Save
  • bluebike2013
    bluebike2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I struggle w this too a lot!! Does anyone know if there is a thread out there specifically related to good vegetable recipes?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    LIke many of the above posters, I grew up not liking vegetables very much. But in the 50's and 60's, all the vegetables my mother served were slimy, pale things that came out of a can. I vividly remember being forced to sit at the table for hours after a meal because I could not get down those disgusting lima beans. I was well into my 30s before I realized that real, fresh vegetables were a completely different thing than what I grew up not eating.

And like others have said, roasted, crunchy veggies, especially with a bit of olive oil and garlic are delicious, as are veggies grilled. And yes! steamed carrots with a bit of spray butter. . . sweet and satisfying. I just made fresh green beans tonight and they taste nothing like the stuff that comes out of a can.

Giving up on such an important food group so early in life is a very bad idea. Get over it.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great post, Monica!
    Veggies are really important. Unfortunately, the majority of us don't eat anywhere near what we should.

Here's a link from the government that shows some of the reasons why eating veggies are important:

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables-why.html

I copies some reasons why veggies are important...

Health Benefits
    *Reduce risk for heart disease, including heart attack and stroke.
    *Protect against certain types of cancers.
    *Diets rich in foods containing fiber, reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.
    * Rich in potassium as part of an overall healthy diet may lower blood pressure, and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and help to decrease bone loss
    *Lower in calories per cup instead of some other higher-calorie food may be useful in helping to lower calorie intake.
    *Folic Acid
    *nutrients, including potassium, dietary fiber, folate (folic acid), vitamin A, and vitamin C
    *Vitamin A/C - absorption of iron and protection from infections

Trust me - you'll want to get yourself into the habit of trying to eat some during the week. Luckily, there are tons of veggies so it's a matter or trial and error.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    Options
    By the way, if you eat enough salsa, it counts as a veggie. 1/4 cup or so is like eating a tomato.
  • meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used to hate vegetables. I am now a vegetarian. My best advice would be to start eating vegetables whether you like the way the taste or not. They are good for you. Medicine can taste horrible... but sometimes its necessary to cure illness. Once you start eating vegetables more you will come around to them, I did. Try dipping them in sauces/marinades if you want.
  • jcreynolds98
    jcreynolds98 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am like you. I do not like veggies and the ones I do like are peas, baked beans, and potatoes. I have been eating low carb (trying not to go over 100g a day) so I eat a lot of lean protein. I have found that I can have baby spinach in a smoothie that consists of 1 1/2 cups of orange juice, 1 banana, and 1 cup of baby spinach. blend it up and you will not even taste the spinach.

I have tried forcing myself to eat veggies and I just can't choke them down.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    -
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You crave what you eat. Start introducing yourself to quality produce, even if it's one thing at a time. Eventually you'll crave the things that are good for you. Believe me- it's true.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried ROASTING your vegi's? They are a totally different animal when roasted... caramelized, sweet or salty... they are a delicious way to eat them....

^ This! Try roasting and grilling veggies. Experiment with different recipes that look good to you.

Add cheese and other ingredients like pasta to them to help you acquire a taste for them.

I am sure that you will discover things that you like.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    Options
    It is absolutely true! if you can just get yourself started, say with two fruits, two vegetables, and a salad a day, you will see that you will get used to those foods, and eventually you will like them, and you will get the health that you have been missing.
    You crave what you eat. Start introducing yourself to quality produce, even if it's one thing at a time. Eventually you'll crave the things that are good for you. Believe me- it's true.