Courthouse wedding this afternoon!

Options
I'm getting married to my boyfriend of 5 years today in the local courthouse and it's completely what we both want but everyone around me thinks I'm weird for not wanting a wedding. I just never felt the need or want to spend a ton of money and be the center of attention. Anyone else have a courthouse wedding or similar views?

Replies

• MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Save your money for a house, car or nice vacation!!
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5iylbWG691rpn7e8o1_500.jpg

Bear: Extra! Extra! Somebody's getting married!
    Bear 2: Somebody's getting married? HEY, somebody's getting married!
    Bear 3: Whoa, somebody's getting married!
    Pops: Somebody's getting married???
    Lew Zealand: Somebody's getting marrrrieeeed!
    Group: Somebody's getting married! Somebody's getting married! Somebody's getting
    somebody's getting somebody's getting somebody somebody somebody
    somebody...! [etc.]
    Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Scooter:
    Somebody get some flowers!
    Somebody get a ring!
    Somebody get a chapel and a choir to sing!
    Kermit:
    Somebody get an organ to play!
    Singing Tuxedos:
    Cause somebody's getting married today!
    [a bit of the 'end of ceremony' music played]
    Miss Piggy, Janice, Camilla:
    Somebody get a preacher!
    Somebody bake a cake!
    Somebody get some shoes and rice and presents to take!
    Miss Piggy:
    Somebody get a sweet negilee!
    Singing Veils:
  • shannonb8489
    Options
    we have the house and car :) it's all going to honeymoon!!
  • shannonb8489
    Options
    tumblr_m5iylbWG691rpn7e8o1_500.jpg

Bear: Extra! Extra! Somebody's getting married!
    Bear 2: Somebody's getting married? HEY, somebody's getting married!
    Bear 3: Whoa, somebody's getting married!
    Pops: Somebody's getting married???
    Lew Zealand: Somebody's getting marrrrieeeed!
    Group: Somebody's getting married! Somebody's getting married! Somebody's getting
    somebody's getting somebody's getting somebody somebody somebody
    somebody...! [etc.]
    Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie, Scooter:
    Somebody get some flowers!
    Somebody get a ring!
    Somebody get a chapel and a choir to sing!
    Kermit:
    Somebody get an organ to play!
    Singing Tuxedos:
    [a bit of the 'end of ceremony' music played]
    Miss Piggy, Janice, Camilla:
    Somebody get a preacher!
    Somebody bake a cake!
    Somebody get some shoes and rice and presents to take!
    Miss Piggy:
    Somebody get a sweet negilee!
    Singing Veils:

lol....wow :)
  • XxYeaIrocxX
    XxYeaIrocxX Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    1st of all CONGRATS!

and 2nd. I had a small wedding. Not what i wanted, all I got to choose basically was the color. Husbands family directed the rest =(
    If I could go back in time I would have done the courthouse, less stress, and I'd invite my parents and his. thats it.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Spend that money on a great honeymoon or a home together. Love it!
  • snowboardandasuitcase
    snowboardandasuitcase Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Priorities! Do what makes you happy, and no one will remember/miss the fact that they didn't have to dance to the chicken song. Marriage is about you two anyways, so spending your cash on a honeymoon for the two of you seems a great way to start out your life as man and wife!

Congrats, and I hope it's magical for you two.
    :heart:
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    did the same thing never did the honeymoon though lack of money...........lol
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well my husband and I were married in my grandmothers backyard with 30 of our closet friends and family and our 10 month old daughter at the time was there, I had a wedding dress that was on sale my mother went half on it , it was not expensive compared to the 1000 gowns I see normally, my grandmother a professional seamstress altered my dress she had to add fabric because when I got it originally I was a bit smaller had not had any children, there were no invitations we asked people to come a week before and the day off, our cake was tiny from a local bakery , our food was appetizers made by my grandmother, husband and mother in law, my bouquet my aunt made who has been a florist for 20 yrs which included flowers from her garden, she also did my husbands boutonnière I had my hair done that day for the 2nd time in my life and my jewelry was from my mother and I wore a citrine necklace from my great grandmother who died before I was born, it was late in the evening and the day was perfect ,our efficient was a pastor from a church I once attended ,

The only things we payed for where my husbands shirt and blazer , tie was from my grandmothers boyfriend :) he is very stylish at 80 it was from Italy were he is from, my brother walked me down the isle we had no bridesmaids or groomsmen but a best man who was my husbands brother, and our bestfriend. And the only other costs were marriage license , pastor and my shoes .We had no music and no dancing, just a cd to listen to as my brother walked me down the isle, my parents had been divorced since was born so not my father .

It was perfect ,we will be married 2 yrs on June 25 th ,we found out we were pregnant with our 2 nd daughter a few weeks after we wed ,she is 15 months old now,

The following day we went with our friends and daughter to the zoo I know not exactly what one would expect:)

Simplicity is key you want to remember your wedding day and not how much it cost you,

We had no honeymoon and one day maybe we will but its not crucial.

We want to get a house first and our daughters are more important .

Keep to what you all want and not everyone else it is your day and no one elses.

Don't let anyone tell you any differently!!!!!:

my husband however did pay more for my ring my uncle a jeweler for 20 plus years made it, I I designed it ,and it is perfect

my pictures were done by my brother and our family and friends .:).
  • geddyp
    geddyp Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! :flowerforyou:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I were 22 years old, and building our house, and we wanted to spend as little as possible on the wedding so there'd be more toward the house. So;

Wedding dress...off the rack long white peasant dress, $35.00
    Tux; rented (best man and groom)
    Venue; church, at my mother's insistence. She thought non-church weddings were for couples who "had to" get married, and that everyone would think I was pregnant.
    Reception; church dining room, brunch put on by church ladies
    Cake; made by aunt
    Bridesmaid's dress; made by her mom to match mine but in camel tan
    flowers; simple white orchids, my bouquet, one orchid for bridesmaid, no flowers on tables
    No band, no dancing ( hubby and I couldn't dance, still can't)
    No alchohol as per my mother's adamant insistence ( she was afraid that certain members of the family would get tipsy and rowdy. Another reason she wanted it in church.)

The wedding was over in a few hours. The marriage has lasted 42 years so far ;)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Is it really important that you please anyone else other than you and your husband to be? If you are happy with the decision, then it is the right decision.

Mazel Tov. May you have many, many more happy years together.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    My husband and I got married at the Kansas City Courthouse and loved it.
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    Congrats!!!

Me and my husband of almost 10 years had a courthouse wedding! I see my friends go through their weddings, all the planning, the money, etc. I would much rather spend all that money on a great honeymoon! We never did honeymoon, nor take pictures from the day. I do not regret it but there are things I wish I did, like the 2 mentioned. I was wanting to renew our vows for our anniversary this year, have a small ceremony at the beach and then a bon-fire but that isnt going to happen this year. We do plan to actually GO somewhere, even if it is just a few hours away at a hotel for a few nights. We have not been able to do something like that so we believe we deserve it for our 10 year.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Just remember this day is all about you and what you want.... If you want the simple courthouse wedding, then that is what you should do. Do NOT give in to what another person wants.

Enjoy your day the way you want it :flowerforyou:
  • EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We got married at the courthouse with just parents, siblings, and grandparents present. Saved tons of money and have been happily married for almost 2 years with many more to come I know!!! Congratulations and don't let the haters get you down! Enjoy your day!
  • MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    Options
    My first wedding was this HUGE to-do with guest there that my husband and I didn't even know, thanks to our families. It was a very nice day, but a lot of stress, and after it was over all I could say was that I wished we had run to vegas instead.

My second wedding to my current husband was much smaller. We actually would both have been completely happy to get married at the courthouse, or get married ON our honeymoon somewhere exotic with no one else there, but I have three daughters and we thought it was important to have the wedding for THEM because it was their wedding, too! So we had a much smaller, intimate, home-made kind of church wedding. We invited quite a few people to the church ceremony, but had no reception. Afterward we went to a restaurant for a nice dinner with close family and that was that. It was perfect and wonderful, and didn't cost a ton of money.

What it comes down to is that you have to do what YOU want, or you'll regret it! If the courthouse is fitting for the two of you, then it doesn't matter what anyone else wants. :) Just tell them that you're happy and that's all that should matter.

Congratulations on your wedding day!! Enjoy it and have a BLAST on that honeymoon!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Meh!

I had a courthouse wedding, but I really wanted a romantic wedding.

Now, I'm divorced.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm the same - don't like to be the center of attention and wouldn't want to spend money on a lavish wedding. If I ever get married it'll be short and sweet, def. not in a church since I am not religious, and would rather splurge on a romantic getaway.

Congrats and I wish you both a happy life together :)