Courthouse wedding this afternoon!

Options

Replies

• junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    We went to Vegas baby!! BAM!! I was never much into the wedding thing either... it's not for everyone!!

Have fun on your AWESOME honeymoon!!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    OH... I also wnted to add that my wonderful and loving grandparents had a courthouse wedding and they spent 65 wonderful years together! My gramma would always say "You don't need that fluff to show that are commited to each other! Take the time to celebrate yourselves"
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I just want my so and I to sign a piece of paper then go on vacation.
  • prozac5489
    prozac5489 Posts: 33
    Options
    Small weddings are the best. My best friend got conned into having a huge wedding, and she hated it. She only got to say just a few things to her most loved people all that day, and she was kept so busy she hardly got to eat three bites of the elaborate dinner!

My current housemates got married 10 years ago. They had sort of a medium-sized wedding...about 50 people attended. Their garage is still FULL of all the stupid crap for table settings and centerpieces that they just *had* to buy to create a magical effect for the party. They regret every single dime.
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think the smaller weddings are sweetest. You shouldn't want the wedding, you should want the marriage. And if you don't have the money (or do and don't want to spend it on a wedding) that is a decision you and your partner make together. No one else!! We are having a small outdoor wedding in October with 15 guests and dinner at a restaurant afterwards. Congrats to you both! :)
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! Do what makes you happy and screw what other people think, lol!

My hubby and I got married in Las Vegas in January. We had a small ceremony and did pictures - but that was it. No reception. Only 5 guests at our wedding. It was small and intimate and just what we wanted - even tho many people didn't understand it.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    We were married by a Judge in South Carolina almost 31 years ago......dang I love that guy! Nothing missed here!

Congratulations and Enjoy!
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    We were in our early twenties when my husband and I got married by a justice of the peace at a tiny little hall above the Local Fire Department. Only close friends and family. Still had the dress, the cake and some flowers and stuff like that but sometimes I look back and wish we would've been able to spend more and make it more "traditional" but those moments are fleeting. 16 years married now! Congrats on YOUR special day!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married to my boyfriend of 5 years today in the local courthouse and it's completely what we both want but everyone around me thinks I'm weird for not wanting a wedding. I just never felt the need or want to spend a ton of money and be the center of attention. Anyone else have a courthouse wedding or similar views?

I got married in city hall. There were 8 people at the ceremony, 12 people at the "reception." The reception was basically, after the ceremony, we walked down the street to a very popular bbq joint and ate and drank to our hearts content. Made a reservation there for 12.
    It was perfect. And completely stress free.
    The ceremony was about 5 minutes long.
    The court costs came to about $90, my dress was just a white summer dress I found at a store for $40, my mom bought my jewelry (light blue/turquoise), and my shoes were on sale at Payless for $15.
    My friend and witness for the ceremony showed up with flowers for me (I wasn't planning on getting any so that was a surprise), and my parents insisted on picking up the tab for the "reception" dinner.
    It was very low key and casual and we had SOOO much fun!

Do what you want. It's your wedding! Celebrate it how you want! If people think it's weird, fine! But they can plan their own giant weddings and celebrate how THEY want.

We are considering doing a big reception later down the road, because none of his family was at the ceremony and only my parents and 2 of my brothers were there. I have a big family and they weren't too happy at not being there, but they understood our reasons.

So we might do something later. But we aren't thinking about it now.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I had a courthouse wedding. We could have saved for something bigger but didn't want to. It was simple, it was easy and there was zero stress involved. I got an off-white simple dress and he wore dress slacks and a button down shirt and a tie. We had a tiny reception afterwards. It was nice. We are going to renew our vows in 2015 on the beach with our kids. I didn't have any professional pics done and I really want that this time. Plus it will be nice to involve our children.
    The big wedding doesn't make a marriage good and it doesn't make it last.

Congrats to you and your fiance!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I think this will be great. Save your money. OMG that means your gonna do it tonight....:blushing:
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    "You don't need that fluff to show that are commited to each other! Take the time to celebrate yourselves"

I wish MFP had a like button sometimes. A really smart woman.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    <----Had a courthouse wedding the day my hubby came home from deployment. Had a small, family wedding a couple months later so I could "have my white dress". In the end, we both agree we should have just gone on a cruise instead (for the money)...but that our families were very happy. Still going strong 16 yrs later.

Do what feels right to YOU! Congrats!
  • MissKais0912
    Options
    @sakura

This thread changed my mind about courthouse weddings, they can actually be beautiful :) spend your money on yourselves and save your money for a new life together, instead of a big wedding. Your story was beautiful. i loved how your family was a big part of everything
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    :( when will it be mine turn?

not srs
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Congrats!

We are discussing doing the same, as he's in School still and we really have no money. He'll be in school another 2.5 years, and we're talking about getting married next year sometime.

I say save the money. My parents also did a courthouse wedding, and renewed their vows a year later and did the whole ceremony. We're thinking of doing the same, just for money's sake, since his school loans are totaling $100k, we really are saving the money every which way!

Congrats again, enjoy the honeymoon!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

My DH and I had a JP marry as at the courthouse on a Wednesday afternoon. My parents, his sis and best friend were in attendance. It was my 2nd and his 3rd marriage. That was 11 years ago. We had a back-yard BBQ party w/ cake, etc the following weekend. It was great!

Last December, after 10 years of marriage, we finally did the church wedding thing (we both had annulments to get out of the way). Again, small ceremony with what-ever family could make it, and a dozen friends. We had a cake and punch reception at our home, then a "dutch" dinner at a local diner. I couldn't have been happier. Even though we have yet to go on a honeymoon.:ohwell:
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Save the money and buy a nice house! That's the way I'm looking at it. I don't want a big extravagant wedding either.
  • nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I did a courthouse wedding, but it was technically in an insurance company building... I don't regret it at all but my husband and I have talked about renewing our vows sometime and it would be then that I would like to wear a dress (I wore jeans and a blouse at our wedding) but it would still be just the two of us... maybe in Vegas, maybe in front of Elvis ;)

Congrats!
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! : )