Always thinking about food

Options
2»

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    former restaurant owner...so yes..i confess.
    always think about food and recipes.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Marry a chef, like me.

My first husband was a chef and somehow I did all the cooking, except for large holiday gatherings.

I think about food all the time. Often dream about it too. I once frantically searched a dream kitchen for something low carb to eat and the only thing I could find was two lousy cucumber slices. I ate them.

What can I say... sometimes we go home and after all that cooking and we are so tired that we resort to frozen pizza and leftovers :)

Not always, but sometimes. We are human, too!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    is it normal that I'm always thinking about food... I feel like I'm constantly craving sweets and baked good... I'm not even hungry all of the time...

So, taking all that into account? if eating less has involved eating less processed foods (which means less sugar) or eating less sugar in general? It could involve an actual physical reaction to less sugar (There's a few different studies on this, actually - here's one, involving intermittent eating 'binges' of high sugar, and the physical effects in animal studies: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15987666 ).

Basically, in some folks, there's a physical withdrawal response to decreasing sugar, rather like the withdrawal when you stop opioids. Sugar and drugs like morphine seems to involve some of the same receptors, as I understand it. Sucrose is actually used to help with pain in preemies, and when people are going through withdrawal from opioids, increased sugar intake actually helps, for that reason.

It seems to happen to me, too. When I drop sugar, I would think of it constantly, DREAM about it, it was awful. Only way I got it to stop was to drop all added sugar, cold turkey. Took about 2-3 weeks, and then the urge went away. But any time I started eating sugar again, I'd have to go through the whole 'withdrawal' process all over again if I wanted to stop. :-/