Am I the only person who doesn't go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• ghouliejulie85
    ghouliejulie85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Nope, i enjoy working out in the comfort in my own room away from people lol.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Basement gym and outside.
    I have a gym membership for those rainy days... need to cancel it.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't been to a gym since 1982. You are not alone :)
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    No gym. a 2 year old and a 4 year old. They both love the bicycle trailer and bike seat (if it's only one doing a ride with me).

And they both have learned to hold on to my neck when doing pushups/planks, and how to hold on when doing either a russian twist or plyometric jumps. And they both like being turned "upside down" doing overhead chest pulls.

If you want to exercise with them it's possible.
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    This is so comforting! I thought I was the only one.

All my fit lifting and running friends judge me for walking and doing fitness DVDs because apparently you can't be in your 20s and do those things... :neutral: But gyms feel so... idk. Unnatural. Sterile. It obviously works out (ha!) for some people, but not for me. I'd rather walk or hike!
  • Colby032
    Colby032 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap so I make my surroundings my gym.
  • etheridgetracy1
    etheridgetracy1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    No gym! I enjoy walking, I use my wii fit at times and cycling. Quite frankly, I dislike gyms. I don't like the vibe. I would rather find my own routine at home. In the fall I do plan on joining a belly dance class, just to change things up. For now, I am enjoying this nice Alberta weather.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym to lose weight or get fit! I've been working out in my basement a solid 2 years now
  • snowiebuggie
    snowiebuggie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't got to the gym either due to my health I find using my stationary bike and dvds I get al the work I need and I do lost it :)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    No gym here! I also have young kids so I can't waste time driving to a gym. We bought a used treadmill for the basement a few years ago. Best $200 investment! So much easier to squeeze in a workout at home. The best method is whatever you'll actually do!
  • sbtnicky
    sbtnicky Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My rules for exercise: it has to be enjoyable, cheap, and portable. Gyms are none of those things. I stick with bodyweight training and running. Jump rope when the weather is bad enough to make running outside a health risk. Plus it's easier to throw on a pair of shoes or take half an hour to do a full bodyweight set than get all my stuff together and sit on the bus for half an hour before even being able to start my workout.

I did consider joining a gym for the weights once. Then I realised I'd rather do handstand pushups than deadlifts. They're easier to show off if someone attractive walks by.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym.
    Prefer walking, swimming at the beach when weather allows and running around with the kids.
  • shannonbrown0421
    shannonbrown0421 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yay I don't feel so alone anymore :) it's like you guys are in my brain and know my exact thoughts!
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Take 30 bucks a month gym money (ymmv) and sock it away, at the end of the year go buy smaller clothes and be happy like me :) No gym for me.
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I don't go to the gym. I prefer walking and using my elliptical. I also do floor exercises - stretching on a mat. I play tennis when the weather is good and in the summer go on hikes. I do have a set of hand weights I use for biceps and triceps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i work and have a one year old so my free time is spent with him, I get my exercise from walking, carrying my son around and playing with him, bike rides, etc. I don't think I'd even know how to use most of the gym equipment lol :/ I feel out of place on Mfp at times because I don't know all the lingo!

a lot of people don't go to the gym. I do most of my exercise outdoors...I cycle, hike, swim, walk, etc...the only reason I go to a gym is to lift weights...I love lifting and don't have room in my home for all of the equipment I would want or need so I go to the gym 2-3 days per week to do that.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    the money I saved on canceling my gym membership paid for my power rack, bar, bench, weights, etc. in about 12 months.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Shannon, when I had little ones at home, and also doing a small in home day care, I told the kids I had to do 20 minutes uninterrupted on the stationary bike so when I was on the bike the "Red or Blue" rule was in place. I was not to be interrupted unless someone was red (bleeding) or blue (choking). They became conditioned to the sound of the bike and would solve their own problems or wait until I was done. I was able to bike (and READ!!) in peace almost every day for at least the 20 minutes but often much more than that.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    I don't have use for a gym membership. Why would I pay for something I can do on my own for free? So, you are not alone. Add me if you would like.
  • tamtam71768
    tamtam71768 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The closest gym to me is 30 minutes away. I hate exercising. I stand on my feet for 10 hours at work and all I want to do is sit down when I get home. Don't have kids at home and roads are to dangerous to go walking (no sidewalks or shoulder). Friend me, we'll not go to the gym together.