I don't even know where to start

Options
Skmellyg
Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
I have lost weight in the past by working out really hard and eating not the best but not the worst. I have always thought that I knew where to start but I really don't. I hear that a lot of my weight loss will be due to my eating habits but I am clueless on how to start and when I read up on all the things I need to do (eating wise) I feel so overwhelmed that I give up. I feel like I never have time. I have a busy schedule. I guess to peak into my everyday life I am going to put my schedule up and maybe I can get some tips.

Wake up time: 5 am
Work time: 6 - 3 M-F (sometimes Saturdays but rare)
Pick up kids and get home usually around 4:00
Eat dinner at 5 (earlier on mondays and wednesdays- husband has class)
Free time: 6-8
Kids bedtime: 8
My bed time: 9.

I don't know where I have time to fix a healthy meal because they need to be fast and when I can work out. I do believe I will be working out before I pick the kids up on Tuesday, Thursdays, and Fridays when my husband doesn't have to go to class. (and no I can't bring them with me at the moment). Help I just need some direction. I need a place to start.

Replies

• RodHudson1229
    RodHudson1229 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well you have already made a start. You came here you made a profile so you probably already have a goal set up. Now start tracking your meals that you currently eat so you can see how many calories your taking in and adjust it accordingly. One thing that works well for me when I have busy weeks is to take a day you have down and plan the week out. I plan all my Dinner meals for the week and precook the main part. Like the chicken or beef or ? Rice and veggies are super easy and fast so I can usually fit that in just before serving.

It looks like you have some free time from 6 to 8 so if you don't belong to a gym you could just take a walk, bike ride or jog to get a little extra activity in. 30 minutes would not be a bad start.
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have some free time from 6 to 8 so if you don't belong to a gym you could just take a walk, bike ride or jog to get a little extra activity in. 30 minutes would not be a bad start.

It's true, but just to state the obvious we all have the same 24 hours a day :)
    Use your 6-8 time to prepare meals in advance, and you may need to go to 9 but just do it.
    Think of where you'll be in a year from now if you start today ! Good luck in your journey !

Once small step or change at a time, it really adds up fast to a great success.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    First of all, well done for signing up and wanting to change things. That's the very first step!
    Meal prep is the key when it comes to eating healthy with little time. Take a day (or more if needed) to prepare meals for the week. Either do it at your free time between 6-8 or on the weekends. The main dishes can be cooked in bulk and then frozen. There is a lot of food items you can prepare for breakfast as well such as breakfast muffins, breakfast burritos, egg muffins etc. that can be frozen and quickly heated up in the morning. Cut your fruit and veggies in advance. That can help you to pick a healthy snack instead of some cookies or something else because it's already there and ready to grab. Measure and fill up some nuts in little baggies to have on hand as a snack. If you weigh everything while preparing it and storing it away in portions sizes you can log your food in advance. This will help to know how much you'll be eating during the day and let you see where you have some calories left for little treats.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a crockpot. It will be a very valuable tool for you. You can make all sorts of dinners in one and you don't even have to be home to do it. :)

Cooking healthy meals does not have to take a lot of time. Most of my meals only take about 30 minutes to prep and cook.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Skmellyg wrote: »
    Free time: 6-8

I don't know where I have time to fix a healthy meal because they need to be fast and when I can work out.

You have time. It's up to you to use it. Don't let "I'm busy" be an excuse, because we're all busy. I have a 6 year old and a newborn and trying to prep a house for sale and move. I'm busy. I don't even have time to shower by myself. I still eat a deficit and exercise when I can.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    How it worked for me was I started by fitting my usual diet into my calorie goal. Then, since I found I was hungry a lot more, I had to decide what foods/beverages were or weren't worth the calories and started cutting back on those and replacing them with lower calorie options so I could eat more. Never in my life did I think I'd be drinking black coffee at all, let alone every day, and yet...