Welcome to Fun and Games! Many of the discussions in this category are games based on responding to the most recent comment. Please take a moment to refresh the page and make sure you are replying to the most recent comment to keep the game going!

Can you keep it going asking ONLY QUESTIONS?

Options

Replies

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,443 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the meaning clear enough but the word combination simply unfamiliar?
    Aren't expressions like "fair dinkum" the ones I have to look up? 🤔
  • srazamora
    srazamora Posts: 4,238 Member
    Options
    What did you find as the meaning for that one when you looked it up?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,747 Member
    Options
    Is it the opposite of unfair dinkum?
  • srazamora
    Options
    Isn’t it funny how you’d think an unknown word would spark all kinds of questions, but it turns out it just makes everyone speechless?
  • nossmf
    Options
    Doesn't that scenario sound familiar to teachers everywhere?
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    srazamora wrote: »
    Isn’t it funny how you’d think an unknown word would spark all kinds of questions, but it turns out it just makes everyone speechless?
    Although I can't explain my silence yesterday, does the fact that I got a sleep score of 91/100 for last night and am just shy of four hours of exercise today explain my silence earlier today?

In the context in which I first heard it, didn't it imply fair/honest deal/trade? Didn't the word "dinkum" originally mean "work"? But given that it is supposed to be a common phrase in Australia, wouldn't it be best to ask an Australian for a more reliable definition?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    As an Australian wouldnt I say fair dinkum means genuine, authentic, the real deal?

However it is more of an Australian 'stereotype word' rather than something you really hear people say much - does that make sense?
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    So is that like "shrimp on the barbie"?
  • paperpudding
    Options

did you know we don't even call them shrimps in Australia, we call them prawns?

and that phrase comes from an Australian tourism ad made for the US market (hence the word changed for American audiences) - it is not a phrase used in Australia at all?
  • frankwbrown
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Wasn't I aware you call them prawns, and didn't reading about the tourism ad (which I don't remember) starring Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) explain why I knew the phrase? Isn't "prawns" used in the US as well but usually in reference to the larger kind, or on the menu at fancy restaurants?
    So who's hungry for some tiger prawns now?
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,319 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like that goes well with coffee, does it?
  • frankwbrown
    Options
    No, but doesn't coffee sound good after my Arctic swim this morning? 🥶
  • srazamora
    Options
    Although I can't explain my silence yesterday, does the fact that I got a sleep score of 91/100 for last night and am just shy of four hours of exercise today explain my silence earlier today?

In the context in which I first heard it, didn't it imply fair/honest deal/trade? Didn't the word "dinkum" originally mean "work"? But given that it is supposed to be a common phrase in Australia, wouldn't it be best to ask an Australian for a more reliable definition?

FOUR hours of exercise in a single day?! Did you run a marathon or something?
  • nossmf
    Options
    I'm going to go with "or something"...is that not more likely?
  • frankwbrown
    Options

FOUR hours of exercise in a single day?! Did you run a marathon or something?

I wish, but no, wasn't it a combination of yoga, walk/run, walk, strength training, cardio, swimming and water aerobics? 🧘‍♂️🏃‍♂️🚶‍♂️🏋️‍♂️🏊‍♂️🤽‍♂️
  • frankwbrown
    edited October 2023
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I'm going to go with "or something"...is that not more likely?

Correct, there's no monetary reward, but where shall I send the winner's badge/ribbon?
  • nossmf
    Options
    I never cared for "participation ribbons", so would you just hang onto that for me instead?
  • srazamora
    Options
    What’s worse: getting a participation trophy or holding on to someone else’s participation trophy?
  • nossmf
    Options
    As a father who's held onto my kids' participation trophies, does that disqualify me from answering your question?
  • paperpudding
    Options
    as I go in fun runs with no expectation of winning but I still enjoy getting my participation certificate - doesn't that disqualify me also?

or is a certificate different from a trophy?