My mom Does not belive that a calorie deficit is for weight loss and carbs only make you fat

Options
13»

Replies

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Some people want to stay stuck in their own ways.

Are her beliefs affecting YOUR journey? If no, drop it.
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I have tried everything from google she won't believe any of it, she keeps saying she wants something from a scholar, doctor, or actual scientific evidence. She thinks I have a biased mind off of what Ive read and watched from the internet.

If your mother has serious health issues from being overweight, why don't you ask if you can go with her to her doctor?

If you're just trying to win an argument, then drop it.
    I am not trying to win an argument haha I am trying to really explain to her what it takes to lose weight.

There is a fine line between trying to help someone and badgering them.

im not constantly on her about this tried to explain a few times thats it
  • MulliganStella
    MulliganStella Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP, I understand your situation. My mother is the same way about many things (and I'm also not a "know-it-all kid", I'm 46.) There's a mindset with some people that if it is in the news, or on the internet, that it must be true and obviously, they're all "experts" and you're not. Don't beat your forehead bloody banging it against that brick wall. Just choose different topics when you're with her.
  • VioletLemon
    VioletLemon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am eating carbs and Im losing weight- I think at some point you have to shut off all of the noise and just do what is sensible and tried and true- its so simple- eat less and move more period.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Lol, have her look at my food diary and my weight loss. I'm a carb queen and I've lost almost 80 pounds. It's all about the CICO...no matter what you eat. Not saying we should eat junk, but it's certainly possible to lose weight while eating poorly.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    She is stuck in the media / marketing scam of weight loss scams

Nothing you say will change her mind

It's like a religion ...it needs no proof, it just is based on faith

This. At a work potluck yesterday, my coworker said, "look at all these carbs!" I told her they are good for you, and said said, "Nope. You should only eat them if you're going to exercise." I did not respond because it's not that important.

She also has done every diet under the sun without even having a weight problem, and she thinks she's fat at a size 2. I love my coworker, but any discussions regarding weight, food, and exercise will be skewed because of those perceptions.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How does what she believes affect you?

it doesn't just trying to help her

Is she overweight and you are worried about it?

It does sound like you love her very much. :)
  • cahaya
    cahaya Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound like an information problem. It sounds like a respect problem.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Tbf you ask people to show you a link and then you claim she wont look at it, which makes it a waste of time trying to answer your questions. Its unlikely your mom is open minded enough to look at or understand anything. Perhaps she could go to her Dr or see a nutritionist and get it confirmed by them, although she seems happy and stubborn enough to ignore you and do nothing.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
    is a journal database.

Some articles will be available in full. but for all, you should be able to see the abstract.

For instance, the abstract for this one
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25540982
    starts
    "Abstract
    "With the increasing obesity epidemic comes the search for effective dietary approaches for calorie restriction and weight loss."

Which indicates that calorie restriction is a settled matter -- no more research is needed to show that cutting calories is how to lose weight.

And in this one,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24075505
    the researchers compared high-fat/low carb to low-fat/high carb diets -- but BOTH were low-calorie (hypocaloric).

Another comparing two different diets, both hypocaloric
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23588462

I'm a reporter who has occasionally written about diet. A researcher once told me that people are likely to lose weight on *any* diet that restricts a specific food group, but the weight is likely to return once the restriction ends.
  • jema99
    jema99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Look up what a "schema" is in psychology terms. I can only give you a brief overview. Which is where people will see what they want to see, even if something points to the contrary. Not a bad thing but I'd say thats where your Mum is at and nothing to with age or being her child. I'd say because you are her child she can be more direct with her beliefs.