Should I eliminate aspartame from my life? My Doctor says yes!

Options

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    PaleoMoxie wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!
    I just got back from seeing my cardiologist with a glowing report that I am praising the Lord for giving me my health back. During our conversation, my Doctor noted that I had lost weight. I told her that I had been on Nutri System...and that I really LOVE the frozen food plan! She said that Nutri System was a good way to lose weight...but that I needed to watch the labels to make sure that there were no Aspartame in the ingredients. She went on to say that Aspartame usage will result in very slow weight loss...or NONE at all...and that I should stop the Diet Coke as it was full of Aspartame. Right then and there...I swore off "pop" for ever!

But when I got home...I noticed that almost all the diet foods and drinks have Aspartame in them. Now I am wondering what I am going to eat. And I need a second opinion. Any help would be so appreciated! Roland

That is because diet drinks and foods are NOT real food and you should not be consuming them. Eat the food God made. That is how many of my religious friends look at it. You need to be eating whole foods and drinking water, not drinking diet drinks that don't provide nutrition and are horrible for your body, same goes for food.
    Food god made? You've never eaten a piece of cake or chocolate or pasta?

No, but she's got plenty of mcdonald's and bourbon + coke in her diary...

Troutsy wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!
    I just got back from seeing my cardiologist with a glowing report that I am praising the Lord for giving me my health back. During our conversation, my Doctor noted that I had lost weight. I told her that I had been on Nutri System...and that I really LOVE the frozen food plan! She said that Nutri System was a good way to lose weight...but that I needed to watch the labels to make sure that there were no Aspartame in the ingredients. She went on to say that Aspartame usage will result in very slow weight loss...or NONE at all...and that I should stop the Diet Coke as it was full of Aspartame. Right then and there...I swore off "pop" for ever!

But when I got home...I noticed that almost all the diet foods and drinks have Aspartame in them. Now I am wondering what I am going to eat. And I need a second opinion. Any help would be so appreciated! Roland

That is because diet drinks and foods are NOT real food and you should not be consuming them. Eat the food God made. That is how many of my religious friends look at it. You need to be eating whole foods and drinking water, not drinking diet drinks that don't provide nutrition and are horrible for your body, same goes for food.

What do you think of the artificial sweetener in the Rockstar energy drink in your food diary?

Well that's embarrassing.

Oh sna . No wonder McDonald's has such control over everyone. I wonder what toy came in a happy meal back then.

I guess bourbon is arguably the nectar of the gods (especially drizzled on gelato), so perhaps I was wrong to judge.
  • campjackson
    campjackson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Oh my, the last thing I wanted was ugly debates. Just ask for everyone's opinion and many shared their thoughts. Some shared online information that was so helpful in helping me decided what I should do.

I am going forward using Aspartame in extreme moderation. I will read the labels (as I always do) and avoid soda drinks with a passion. However, I do enjoy the Great Value Peach Flavored Drink that comes in a powder that you mix in water. It has Aspartame in it...however, I only mix half strength...one packet in a gallon of water...instead of two packets.

I haven't been able to find out the level of Aspartame in the peach flavored powder, however, by mixing it half strength should be okay. After all...I started this journey at an unbelievable 301 lbs...and last shipment from Nutri System, I earned the 70 lb bear. Pretty proud about that! Thanks for all your help! Roland
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!

I've eaten a many Church dinners that don't follow this line of thought.

Exhibit A of not real food: Church dinners in the Midwest

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    No problem at all. Continue living your life in absolute confusion about nutrition.

See? How could anybody not like you. I'd set you up with that chick who beat me up and robbed me back in grade 11 anyday.

Cuz I want what's best for her.

Thanks for your lack of understanding of the main issue at hand.

You obviously don't have a clue what's going on in this thread. All emotion, zero logic.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh my, the last thing I wanted was ugly debates. Just ask for everyone's opinion and many shared their thoughts. Some shared online information that was so helpful in helping me decided what I should do.

I am going forward using Aspartame in extreme moderation. I will read the labels (as I always do) and avoid soda drinks with a passion. However, I do enjoy the Great Value Peach Flavored Drink that comes in a powder that you mix in water. It has Aspartame in it...however, I only mix half strength...one packet in a gallon of water...instead of two packets.

I haven't been able to find out the level of Aspartame in the peach flavored powder, however, by mixing it half strength should be okay. After all...I started this journey at an unbelievable 301 lbs...and last shipment from Nutri System, I earned the 70 lb bear. Pretty proud about that! Thanks for all your help! Roland

Congratulations on your loss! I don't blame you for diluting the mix. When I used to drink powdered mixes, I always thought the flavor was too strong.

• jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options

Religion has nothing to do with this topic. But just to let you know all foods are considered good. Anything taken in large quantities are bad for you including too much banana. Ever heard of too much vitamins causing problems??? Check it out online!! What you put into your body is up to you. What I put in mine is up to me. At the end of the day its just fuel. Remember there is more than 1 way to fuel a fire, same goes for our bodies!!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Hey, Roland - don't worry too much about the debates here. I am new to the site, but for the most part I think all of the passion and spark is because people really care about trying to share information and help one another improve our lives.

When it comes to Aspartame, there isn't a huge weight of evidence that leads to red lights and sirens telling you to STOP, so all you can do is try to arm yourself with good general information and make decisions for yourself from there. Nutrition seems to be like that in some areas. It sounds like you are making reasonable choices going forward, and you have made amazing progress so far! Blessings to you, and here's hoping for your further success.

And I am one of those evil Left-Coast Californian types, but I vividly remember helping out at a church dinner in the south once - I'd bet they share some of the same culinary heritage as the midwestern variety. All I remember is little cocktail hotdogs floating in a vat of BBQ sauce, some sort of really terrifying jello/marshmallow salad, and lots of cornbread with honey butter (though I have to admit that cornbread with honey butter sounds really good right now =P).

You need to come on over to one of my church's potlucks (mid-west)-it's always an epic occasion :D The last one we had, we set up 8-8ft tables and they were overflowing; the amount of crock pots present was staggering :p The food was fantastic-everything from homemade pies and cakes to carry out pizza lol. I made homemade applesauce and then a sweet n' sour chicken and rice dish :) This church does potlucks right hehe.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

OP returns and is horrified by what has become of the thread :mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.