Need to buy an SUV, need opinions...

Options

Replies

• SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Most dependable = Toyota & Honda/Acura
    Seriously fun = BMW X5!!!

I don't know where you live, but I live in the US and I will vouch that American-made vehicles are more headaches than they're worth. Steer clear!!

(Known by experience & bf's a mechanic.)
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Well, not a SUV, but just as functional. VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI

You get SUV storage, and great fuel economy.

I don't think there are really that many people that actually "need" an SUV. It's an american thing.

3 kids dude. I need an SUV. A jettasportswagon seems like a chick car. A decidedly un-American thing.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options

I don't think there are really that many people that actually "need" an SUV. It's an american thing.

VW TDI- power and economy. I drive Golf and it is sweet to drive.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    My wife drives a Mazda CX-9 and it is honestly the best car I've ever owned. Mazda did well with the CX line.
  • lorieric5037
    Options
    Get a MINI! Sooooo fun - you'll forget that you "need" to buy a SUV!!:bigsmile:
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I initially wanted a Tahoe with third row seating. A lot of them the kids would have to climb over the seat on though. I am picky about stuff like that, and I didn't like the idea. So, I let my husband talk me into looking at Yukons, and Suburbans with third row seating. I decided to to go with a Suburban LT. It has dual AC, heated front seats, and a rear defroster. The kids don't have to climb over the seats, and there is plenty of room for a family of 5!! Good luck!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    i just got the nissan pathfinder, 3rd row seating and not a gas hogger!

Ooooo, really?! Tell me more!

Got from Christmas. Fills up with 60- and that usually last over a week.. and its 4 wheel drive =) I fell in LOVE, lol

What is the actual gas mileage? I do a lot of running up and down the roads between work, daycare, home, church, softball, volleyball, groceries, family events...you get the idea. My husband thinks a mini-van is in our future. He's lost his mind if he ever thinks I will drive a mini-van, so I'm trying to find an SUV big enough for the family that isn't a total gas guzzler.
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love my toyota highlander - V6 engine - never given me any problems and has a really convenient 3rd row seat that can be put down or up :)
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We bought a new to us 2005 Ford Expedition in 2008. I love it - we bought it to haul our 3 dogs, future (now 1) kids and pull our travel trailer. It has an amazingly smooth ride and 3 rows of seating. The trunk space is not huge when the third row is up, but one push of a button and the seats fold down.

When it dies (I will drive it til the end), we will buy another. Or possibly upgrade to an Excursion. We also have a 2005 Pontiac Vibe for everyday driving, and longer trips (that don't require the space of the Expy). It's a little workhorse and it makes me sad that Pontiac is no more.
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a Chrysler Aspen 4WD 5.7 L Hemi.....
    Gets the job done!

dodgechrysleraspenhybri.jpg

what job is that?:)
  • Colliex3
    Colliex3 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Depends on your meaning of "Good Sized" My brother just bought a used Chevy Traverse around 25k or less I think and its a 8 passenger, not the best on cargo space but its an amazing SUV.

Also look at the Hyundai Santa Fe They used to look stupid but now they are beautiful!
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    Options
    Just get a van..
    And dont forget the candy.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    We recently bought a 2008 Saturn Outlook. 7 passenger, but you can get it with a bench in the middle to make it 8. LOVE IT! It doesn't have a ton of storage space in the "trunk" though. I have 3 kids: 14, 10 & 7. All play baseball/softball. 3 bat bags is tight. Other than that, I wish we had upgraded from a mini van about 3 years ago! :-)
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    Options
    Get a MINI! Sooooo fun - you'll forget that you "need" to buy a SUV!!:bigsmile:

I would love to see him in a MINI..or in one of these SMART cars
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    no offense to those with them, but nissan killed the pathfinder. it looks more like a mini van now than a truck.

the ford flex is pretty cool. unique looking, and roughly the size of an expedition.

the sequoia is also a good size.

tahoe too.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

3 kids dude. I need an SUV. A jettasportswagon seems like a chick car. A decidedly un-American thing.

Born, rasied, and currently in Detroit, it is really hard to read this thread.

For 25-35k, your best bet is to buy a GOOD used SUV. You can get a fairly loaded 2012 or 2013 Durango for 30-35k. We have a 2013 Durango, loaded and love it. We have 3 kids and drive cross country often.

Highly recommend them.

PS - For anyone that is about to post "But Toyota and Nissan are made in the USA......".... just don't. They are not. They may get snapped together here....but they are not made here.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I have a Chrysler Aspen 4WD 5.7 L Hemi.....
    Gets the job done!

dodgechrysleraspenhybri.jpg

what job is that?:)
    Hauls the kids, grandkid, pulls a boat, driving trail roads up through Big Bear, CA, etc.
    Seats 7
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Honda Pilot w/ 3rd row, seats 8 comfortably, very versatile and dependable, easy to maneuver, gets about 17/mi city. They last forever.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Seriously fun = BMW X5!!!

Drives like a sports car, tough enough to climb mountains, and haul 250+ lbs of dogs in the back. :drinker: :smokin:
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i just got the nissan pathfinder, 3rd row seating and not a gas hogger!

Ooooo, really?! Tell me more!

Got from Christmas. Fills up with 60- and that usually last over a week.. and its 4 wheel drive =) I fell in LOVE, lol

What is the actual gas mileage? I do a lot of running up and down the roads between work, daycare, home, church, softball, volleyball, groceries, family events...you get the idea. My husband thinks a mini-van is in our future. He's lost his mind if he ever thinks I will drive a mini-van, so I'm trying to find an SUV big enough for the family that isn't a total gas guzzler.

I completely understand, I have 3 kids and am also running around like crazy.. At first my husband also wanted a minivan, But I am in my 30's and really wanted something that still would make me feel young and cool( even if its just running errands) As for gas, It averages 17-18 miles a galloon.