• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I challenge anyone reading this to start squatting 5x5 with a barbell, 3 times a week and adding 5 pounds every workout. At the end of 1 month you will have added 60 pounds to your squats, look better and feel amazing.

LOL That if you don't stall at all.
    I've worked my way up from about 120 pounds to 225 this morning without stalling. :)

@yusaku02 & @yopeeps025 People have to start somewhere...I started with the 30 day squat challenge and then moved to circuit training now lifting for 2 years...max squat is 210

To those doing the challenge take side pics...(wish I had mine on my computer) and compare that way as well.

Try doing it later in the month by breaking it up into sets of 20-25 with different types of squats like sumo squats (legs further apart and toes pointed out) etc. Helps break it up a bit.

Good luck to you all

that why I laughed about that person post. Yes we all start somewhere. We all start differently though. I knew kids who started weigh training at least two years before I did in high school. It didn't take me long to become stronger than them. I knew a guy who played football and couldn't start benching the bar. Man was he made fun of in high school. He gained our respect by never stop lifting until college.
    You do realize what I suggested is part of a novice lifting routine, right? Yes we all start somewhere, I didn't say for the people looking to do a squat challenge to start at 200 pounds. They can start with just the bar if that's what works for them.
    I challenge anyone reading this to start squatting 5x5 with a barbell, 3 times a week and adding 5 pounds every workout. At the end of 1 month you will have added 60 pounds to your squats, look better and feel amazing.

I've worked my way up from about 120 pounds to 225 this morning without stalling. :)

Ok key word is you. Also to compare the gains of a man to gains a woman can make. It is not the same and hopefully you know enough to know why.
    So my experience doesn't count because it doesn't support the point you were trying to make? Okay then...
    I understand that people make progress at different rates but StrongLifts is still a unisex program. If someone stalls then they deload and work back up to it. It's not the end of the world. It sounds like you'd rather have people not even try because their experience won't be perfect.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

@yusaku02 & @yopeeps025 People have to start somewhere...I started with the 30 day squat challenge and then moved to circuit training now lifting for 2 years...max squat is 210

To those doing the challenge take side pics...(wish I had mine on my computer) and compare that way as well.

Try doing it later in the month by breaking it up into sets of 20-25 with different types of squats like sumo squats (legs further apart and toes pointed out) etc. Helps break it up a bit.

Good luck to you all

that why I laughed about that person post. Yes we all start somewhere. We all start differently though. I knew kids who started weigh training at least two years before I did in high school. It didn't take me long to become stronger than them. I knew a guy who played football and couldn't start benching the bar. Man was he made fun of in high school. He gained our respect by never stop lifting until college.
    You do realize what I suggested is part of a novice lifting routine, right? Yes we all start somewhere, I didn't say for the people looking to do a squat challenge to start at 200 pounds. They can start with just the bar if that's what works for them.

Ok key word is you. Also to compare the gains of a man to gains a woman can make. It is not the same and hopefully you know enough to know why.
    So my experience doesn't count because it doesn't support the point you were trying to make? Okay then...
    I understand that people make progress at different rates but StrongLifts is still a unisex program. If someone stalls then they deload and work back up to it. It's not the end of the world. It sounds like you'd rather have people not even try because their experience won't be perfect.

I do realize that...but some people need to start without weights...heavy lifting can be scary for some...I did SL for 1 year and made great gains but only after doing this and some other body weight light lifting...
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Is it healthy to do weight lifting on the same muscle groups for consecutive days?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    Is it healthy to do weight lifting on the same muscle groups for consecutive days?

Not a good idea. Muscles need time to recover.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, which is why my eyes bulged at the regimen.

I am ALL FOR a squat challenge, but it needs to be a reasonable and healthy one. Is there a way we could modify this to accommodate for busy schedules, too?
  • arditarose
    Options

I am ALL FOR a squat challenge, but it needs to be a reasonable and healthy one. Is there a way we could modify this to accommodate for busy schedules, too?

Oh, I was talking about "weight lifting" as you used the term. These are body weight squats I think. I'm not sure if you need to rest, sorry. I just know that the challenges don't have much of a point.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Oh, I was talking about "weight lifting" as you used the term. These are body weight squats I think. I'm not sure if you need to rest, sorry. I just know that the challenges don't have much of a point.

Do you get results from body weight squats? I usually do squats with added weights.
  • arditarose
    Options

Do you get results from body weight squats? I usually do squats with added weights.

Stick with your weights then! Body weight work is great, but challenges...in the end, you'll be more efficient at squats, you won't see much change to your body, and as you mentioned...for some, especially beginners who are not using proper form, it can be overkill.
  • marky1965
    marky1965 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes you get results from body weight squats. Making excuses all the time is what made half of us the weights we are today. Just do it,,,
    IT IS BODY WEIGHT......THE LIGHTER AND STRONGER YOU GET THE EASIER IT WILL BECOME...rant over
  • Nerdycurls
    Options

Stick with your weights then! Body weight work is great, but challenges...in the end, you'll be more efficient at squats, you won't see much change to your body, and as you mentioned...for some, especially beginners who are not using proper form, it can be overkill.

The weights actually help with my balance and form (my husband has a weight belt I like to use, too), so I'll stick to that.
  • Nerdycurls
    Options
    marky1965 wrote: »
    Yes you get results from body weight squats. Making excuses all the time is what made half of us the weights we are today. Just do it,,,
    IT IS BODY WEIGHT......THE LIGHTER AND STRONGER YOU GET THE EASIER IT WILL BECOME...rant over

You must have not read the part where I said I use added weights.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    whatever you do, do it well !!!

and my only suggestion is to warm up those glutes first, get them firing properly. Try cook hip thrust, glute bridges, clamshells , bird dogs for examples or just google " glute activation"